Review by Julez -- The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Mag...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Review by Julez -- The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Mag...

Post by Julez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Accord is the fourth instalment of the Magi Charter series. Written by Jordan David, it tells of the struggles faced by Santa Leopold of Klaus and his workers during his migration from Austria to the North Pole in the twelfth century.

The book opens in and closes on Oren the good natured giant. He is a skilled hunter and expert archer who possesses a beautiful and kind soul. He is unwillingly under Lord Guy’s employ and longs to be away from his deviousness and control. Santa Leopold is a merchant who travels all over the land spreading goodwill and bestowing gifts on children during the Christmas season. He is required to move from the Klaus valley due to the danger Lord Guy poses and because the mission is growing bigger. His path and Oren’s are intertwined in this dangerous journey. On reaching their destination, they are given an inhospitable welcome by the occupants of the land. While an accord is being reached, someone ends up paying a gruesome price. Who will it be?

The writer explores the terrain of the North Pole and helps us understand the history of Santa Claus and the North Pole and how its operations all began. His excellent narrative makes me have doubts if the existence of Santa Claus and the North Pole is make-believe or actually the real deal. I also learnt more about the history of the retired elves who I had met in the previous instalments. The Elf Accord is a delicious change from the story line I had become accustomed to and can actually be viewed as a stand-alone book.

I really enjoyed Oren’s character and even though Santa Leopold is the hero of the story, Oren is the reason I found this book quite engaging. The development of the other characters in the book is equally quite breath taking. I was even able to relate with the reindeers and felt sorry for them when they were being made to pull wagons during the journey. The writer took care to make us realise that the character and emotions of the animals matter too and I have to give kudos to the writer on a job well done.

Even though this particular book deserves a full four star rating, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to few grammatical errors and homophonic substitutions present in the book. Nevertheless, lovers of historical fiction and fantasy will love this book and even though it doesn’t get a perfect rating, it’s the perfect book for the Christmas season and I recommend it to readers of all ages.

The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Julez's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”