Official Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Official Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by mratdegraff91 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Demon Heart" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Heart by David Crane

David Crane, author of Demon Heart, takes each reader into a world where magic, demons, and other supernatural beings exist. His 278-page novel, published July 30, 2017, is an excellent Sci-fi novel for mature readers. The storyline features several scenes of blood and gore that may make some queasy while reading but significantly added to the history of the storyline. This is a novel that was difficult to put down and left me begging for more at the end.

The main storyline follows Naoko Kitamura in modern day Japan. Naoko is a cop for the city of Osaka working to maintain the balance between good and evil. She hides a family secret while retaining this precious balance in that she is a demon hybrid, a product of an ancient union between a pure demon and a noble samurai. This secret and everything that comes with it is only passed down through the women in her family. To protect their country and maintain the sacred balance between good and evil her mother sacrifices herself leaving Naoko to carry on the family secret alone as well as continue the family line of hybrids. Naoko swears to avenge her mother but discovers that there are more forces at play than she realized. She races against time to maintain the safety of her country and also the balance of good and evil.

This novel’s storyline was fast paced and easy to follow. Putting this book down was a struggle. Naoko is a loyal friend, daughter, and lover. She faces many challenging tasks and crisis throughout the story further strengthening her character. I quickly fell in love with her character and my heart would break when tragedy struck. I enjoyed following her as the story progressed and watching her character grow. The author also provides readers with a bit of her childhood and discovery of how to control her demon half toward the beginning.

There were several themes seen consistently in this novel. Family, loyalty, honor, honesty, and love were the most prevalent during the story. I felt the author portrayed the Japanese culture's attributes well within these themes. The main character stuck by these as well even when it came to sacrificing herself.

A few things I did not like about this novel were the occasional grammar errors and the formatting. In the copy provided for me to review, the writing frequently switched back and forth between bold and normal font at random. I sampled the online Kindle version through Amazon and noticed that the issue was not present there. This was the main thing that bothered me in my version, but it did not detract from the storyline itself which leads me to rate this novel a 4 out of 4 stars.

This novel was a delight to read, and I hope other readers enjoy it as much as I did. It is a look into a different world and for me, a different culture.

Demon Heart
View: on Bookshelves

Like mratdegraff91's review? Post a comment saying so!
Madison Degraffenreid
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Very interesting review. Naoko seems a good character. I honesty loved the story. Thanks. I give it 4 out of 4.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds interesting. You don't see a whole lot of books taking place in Japan. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Not sure that this one is my style, but I enjoyed your review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

It sounds intriguing with the Japanese culture and the supernatural. Very nice review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Little Bluestockings
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-bluestockings.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Little Bluestockings »

Great review!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I LOVE supernatural stories, especially the kind with demons and other such evil creatures,
so the title and cover had already grabbed my attention, but now your review has convinced me that I HAVE to read this book. I'm also interested in reading about the Japanese culture, as I'm fascinated with ways of living that differ from my own, so I'm glad the author did well in that aspect... Thanks so much for the novel introduction!
Kiagewinnie
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiagewinnie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Kiagewinnie »

An interesting review would love to read the book
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love books that I cannot put down, and it has been too long since I read one. It sounds like at least some of the issues in your sample were taken care of in the kindle format, hopefully all of them were. I sometimes find books about another culture a chore to read if the author does not understand the culture, or equally as bad, fetishizes it. That thankfully does not seem to be the case in this book! Thanks for your review. :)
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by Toshia »

This sounds interesting, and right up my alley. May have to give it a shot. ?Thanks for the review
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Kravyn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kravyn »

This story sounds like a plot in anime. I'm guessing there's a sword involved somehow.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”