Official Review: Life of a struggle kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Official Review: Life of a struggle kid

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life of a struggle kid" by Lucho Bensius Nande.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life of a Struggle Kid by Lucho Bensius Nande is a fictional book. This short story has only five standard pages (250 words per page). The story is told through a confusion of first-person and third-person omniscient narration.

I sought more information about this writing on the internet and did not find a trace of anything about it. It would, therefore, be safe to assume that the e-book has not been published. The author does not have any professional site. I found out from his social site that the writer is a self-proclaimed author and engineer.

I am afraid that I did not find anything that I liked about the 1,097-word narrative. The narrative begins with the escape of Paulina’s family from political persecution in South Africa. Years later, when Paulina has grown up and there is calm, she asks her grandmother how her mother died. Her mother tells her about the ruthless soldiers and how everything happened. With the many discrepancies and errors in the book, it is next to impossible to know what really happened.

My two cents is that the writer of this account only wanted to seek a detailed guidance about the writing of his work so as to learn the mistakes in his work and plot a course of action from there. If that is the case, I hope my honest take and direction on this writing will be appreciated.

The story does not have direction. I could make out faint themes of colonialism, death, and loss. The story does not have any clear lesson or message. The depictions are few and colorless. There are confusions with characters’ names. The characters are completely unexplored and characterless. I do not know much about the characters in the story. There are a lot of discrepancies between facts within the story that detract from the sense in the story. The story is left incomplete on the second and last A4 page, but this could be because the writer had indicated that the book was the first part of the story.

The piece of work is shabby with uneven paragraphs and abandoned sentences. I feel the writer did not really take the time to go over what he had written and see whether there were oversights to be corrected. The writing is riddled with problems concerning punctuation and tenses, omissions, inclusions, and joining of words.

The PDF e-book I got had numerous grammatical mistakes and was definitely not edited. More than half of the sentences had grammatical errors. Some of the mistakes were: the title, “Life of a Struggle [Struggling] Kid,” “Paulina was born before independence in Lubango were [where] her parents escaped to stay during the South African [South Africa’s] colonialism [colonization],” “…left to [for] Angola,” and, “…as she pulls [pulled] Paulina on [by] her arm towards her.”

I give this book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars because of the plenty of shortcomings I have expounded on above. I would honestly not recommend this book to anyone because it does not hold any lesson, does not talk distinctively about anything, and has many mistakes that seriously impede reading and understanding.

Life of a struggle kid
View: on Bookshelves

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Sorry about that. Maybe it should be taken like a typical short story with the poor character development. Having one in non-profit, fiction is always a stretch. I hope the writer gets it.

-- 19 Oct 2017, 09:07 --

**non-fiction**
OBED OWARE YEBOAH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OBED OWARE YEBOAH »

I think this book portrays what happens to many people who don't prepare for the future. It's an educative book because it shows us how to always be in constant preparation.
geoffrey ngoima

I agree with you, guys.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Five pages to explore those themes are surely not enough. (Even a cat's short journey needed more pages.) I wonder what the author hoped to achieve with a thousand words. If he only intended to get feedback, he ought to have requested a private review. Oh well, we cannot fathom the minds of artists (or engineers?).
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Hopefully he will appreciate your feedback, and hopefully your next book to review is more enjoyable.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
geoffrey ngoima

Miriam Molina wrote:Five pages to explore those themes are surely not enough. (Even a cat's short journey needed more pages.) I wonder what the author hoped to achieve with a thousand words. If he only intended to get feedback, he ought to have requested a private review. Oh well, we cannot fathom the minds of artists (or engineers?).
Yeah, you're right, it was the first part of the story, so there'll be a continuation.

@ Gingerbo0ks, hope so too on both counts.

Thank you guys for dropping by.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Because there are so many things wrong with this book, it's a relief that it's only five pages long.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”