Official Review: Missing by Peggy M McAloon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Official Review: Missing by Peggy M McAloon

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Missing" by Peggy M McAloon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Missing: Lessons from Fiori by Peggy M McAloon is a coming of age fantasy published by PMac Press on April 11, 2016. It is the second installment in Lessons from Fiori Series and a standalone book that can be easily understood without having read the prequel (Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals).

The protagonist is a young exceptional girl by the name of Elle Burton. She is a guide, one of the few human beings granted the special powers of wish traveling and using the reflective portal.

Another young but newer guide, Jimmy, is charged with the responsibility given to all guides, to aid and protect the children of Earth. The story takes place in Minneapolis and Fiori, a dimension in time and space which operates parallel to Earth. Elle's brother, JJ, has just been kidnapped by the evil Zorins. Elle finds herself in an even deeper dilemma when a Zorin inhabits her and steals her voice. She learns that even the winged Fiorin warriors cannot help her this time.

Why are the Zorins afraid of the old prophecy and the ten-year-old girl? Will the slightly older Elsie have the courage to see firsthand the plight and pain of the abused and voiceless children? Will she have enough faith in her kind heart and the spirit of hope to become the person the prophecy proclaims?

The characters are well developed and likable. I found myself wanting to emulate them and become a better person. The dialogue in the story is natural and flows well with the rest of the story. There was no lag in the story. All the scenes were flawlessly engaging.

The fairly complex plot is told in a simple and charming manner that makes its 291 standard pages (250 words per page) easy to read. The book deals with the themes of alienation, coming of age, courage, death, good versus evil, love, spirituality and God, heroism, and reunion.

There are a number of editing issues on the Kindle e-book I used but they did not detract from the value of the story. Even though this was not confusing to me, I wish the thoughts and telepathic communication amongst the characters involved would have been italicized or written in a different font to distinguish them from other parts of this creative writing.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of fantasy fiction and adventure. I feel the content of this book relates to all age groups and would, therefore, be relevant to all readers regardless of age.

Missing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Geoffrey Ngoima! This book reminds me of Peter Pan.

It's good to read about children taking responsibility for other children. It gives us adults a break haha.
geoffrey ngoima

Miriam Molina wrote:Hi, Geoffrey Ngoima! This book reminds me of Peter Pan.

It's good to read about children taking responsibility for other children. It gives us adults a break haha.
Haha, yeah, it is of that exact genre
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Its a nice book and I would recommend it for children as well.
geoffrey ngoima

Sarah Immanuel wrote:Its a nice book and I would recommend it for children as well.
Yeah, esp children/teens
Josebrish
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Josebrish »

Very interesting book for the Children...
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that this book has characters that one can emulate and aspire to be.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Peggy M McAloon
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Peggy M McAloon »

Geoffrey Ngoima, thank you for the wonderful review! Elle's the kid I always wanted to be during the abuse and bullying of my childhood. I made it a point to help the other kids who were being bullied in school, too. My goal is to inspire kids to kindness and empower them to stand up to abuse and bullying. I recommend parents read these books with their kids and create a healthy discussion.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nice to hear from the author herself. Bullying destroys children's lives. We should all fight it.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I love fantasy fiction and adventure novels, so I might pick this up. Good review, geoffrey ngoima.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the review. It does sound quite interesting. I'll have to look at it more closely.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I am definitely a fan of fantasy fiction, and I tend to love a good coming of age tale, too. This sounds like a story I might need to check out.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

This is already on my bookshelf, thanks for the nice review. I love the fantasy element and the themes therein.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
geoffrey ngoima

Peggy M McAloon wrote:Geoffrey Ngoima, thank you for the wonderful review! Elle's the kid I always wanted to be during the abuse and bullying of my childhood. I made it a point to help the other kids who were being bullied in school, too. My goal is to inspire kids to kindness and empower them to stand up to abuse and bullying. I recommend parents read these books with their kids and create a healthy discussion.
You're welcome, and thank you for dropping by. I think a lot would agree with and relate to your sentiments and story respectively.

Thank you guys for finding the time to contribute... Let me know what you think when you read the book. You can preferably start with Book 1.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html

Post by Cloe101 »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:
Peggy M McAloon wrote:Geoffrey Ngoima, thank you for the wonderful review! Elle's the kid I always wanted to be during the abuse and bullying of my childhood. I made it a point to help the other kids who were being bullied in school, too. My goal is to inspire kids to kindness and empower them to stand up to abuse and bullying. I recommend parents read these books with their kids and create a healthy discussion.
You're welcome, and thank you for dropping by. I think a lot would agree with and relate to your sentiments and story respectively.

Thank you guys for finding the time to contribute... Let me know what you think when you read the book. You can preferably start with Book 1.
:techie-reference: :techie-studyingbrown:
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”