Official Review: The Quantum Cartographer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Quantum Cartographer

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Quantum Cartographer" by Kristen Keenon Fisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Quantum Cartographer by Kristen Keenon Fisher takes the reader back to the Twentieth Millennium B.C., to a world where time travel is possible. Kressya city (once welcoming all time travelers) is now divided into the Old Kressya and the New Kressya. The latter is home to a ruling despot who is plotting to experiment on and destroy all time travelers (whom they call “sky-fallen”) who arrive at their doorsteps.

It is the year 2033 in Nevada. Eliza Carrefour is taking care of her two-year-old son, but she is constantly on edge. Her fears materialize when strange people appear at her doorsteps asking about someone called August while simultaneously eyeing her child. Eliza knows what she must do. She grabs her son and drives to a hidden place that August mentioned to her a while ago. When she gets there, she learns that she must send her son back in time to fulfill his destiny and, hopefully, put an end to the raging, ongoing war.

The story captivated me from the start. I love time-travel fiction (be it books, movies, or television series) and as such, The Quantum Cartographer doesn’t disappoint. Although if you dig deeper, you realize the book is so much more than just a sci-fi and time-travel adventure. It is a story about dictatorship, Utopia, and the long-term Resistance movement to eliminate the oppressors. At its heart, it is the history of humankind itself with all its never-ending struggles.

The story is fast-paced. The scene of Eliza driving away with her son, Nija, to escape from her followers, reminded me of Sarah Connor making her getaway from Terminator. My heart was pounding, and I was cheering on Eliza to escape. I was on the edge of my seat even when the story moved back in time to the ancient land of Kressya. There is always something going on with Nija, our main character in the story. He is repeatedly getting himself into trouble due to his unpredictable teen behavior, and he is relentlessly chased by the Scythe, the city guards who want to apprehend him at all costs. I often chuckled at some of Nija’s rather short and smart-ass lines that popped up at the weirdest times.
“And you are …?” the shopkeeper asks them collectively.
“Lying low,” Nija answers.
The author created a whole group of entertaining characters. Eserae Sorra, a teen who teams up with Nija, is fearless, clever, and quite fun to be around. As the story unfolds, she begins to play a major part in Nija’s life and in the events to follow. Then we have Serros, a quirky old guy who takes care of Nija for a while. Legends call him “a man who survived a thousand deaths.” He loves his Saphire rum too much, but when it comes to fighting, he can sober up within minutes.

I have to admit that I struggled a little with the story at first as I had several questions right off the bat. How come the ancient time was as modern as ours? What or who is the Cartographer? And what on Earth is the Crux? And how does all this relate to time-travel? However, when Nour gave a detailed explanation to Eliza before sending Nija back through time, my confusion cleared up.

The writing is near perfect. While there are some difficult and uncommon words within the pages, they are soon explained in following dialogues or descriptions. You are never left in the dark for long. The Quantum Cartographer is a well-written and properly edited book. I expected several grammatical and spelling mistakes while reading, yet I have found none, which is a rarity in a debut novel. I had a great time with this book, so I give The Quantum Cartographer 4 out of 4 stars. I can recommend it to anyone who loves science-fiction and time-travel stories with a hint of reincarnation, and to people who welcome excitement and thrill in their books.

The Quantum Cartographer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This is a fairly good review, you provide a vivid glimpse into the characters in the book and I'm sold to the interesting storyline. I'm not a fan of reading sci-fi, maybe I'd watch it in movie format. Or change my mind later.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Thanks for your comment. Actually, I forgot to mention in my review, but I'd love to see this book translated into a movie or even a sci-fi TV series. It's really visual that way.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I got truly hooked on the title and the cover of the book, and I made no mistake by simply reading your review! Time travel is a real classic and the book proves no wrong. The review you gave makes it sound like a juicy read expected to engage all the senses and enjoy it thoroughly. You really make it sound like perfect! Thanks, I shall include it on my list!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like a captivating story. Time travel especially in the twentieth millennium B.C is a topic I'd love to read about.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds quite entertaining. This is one I definitely would like to read. Thanks for the review! I'll look at it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

This sounds like an interesting read. I agree that I would like to see it made into a movie as well. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I usually don't like time-traveling novels because it can get quite confusing when the author writes the same scene in multiple ways. However, from your review, this sounds like an exciting book to try.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I was intrigued by the title of this book and your review has definitely piqued my interest. I too enjoy books about time travel and the added element of reincarnation is a bonus. Thanks for the review!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't know how it happened, but I really felt like I was in your head while reading your review. Just as I finished thinking that it sounds Terminator-ish, you mentioned Sarah Connor and then when I was thinking that I love stories that take place back in time but have future technology - like the Star Wars series, for instance ("A long time ago") - you question that fact; how funny!

Great review, over all. I'm fully convinced and will be getting this one.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

It seems like this story has a lot to keep the reader interested. I think, if someone travelled to our world, he would feel like he had arrived in a magic world. I wonder how it would be like to go in the past.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@Athena Moon thank you for coming by. Yes, you are absolutely right. The book engages all senses.

@Mercy Bolo the book is well worth reading, for sure.

@kandscreeley do check it out, I think you will like it.

@KeriCraven I hope at some point it will become a motion picture. Would great seeing it on the screen.

@Star88 yes, it's definitely worth checking it out.

@Spirit Wandering if you like time-travel and reincarnation stories, then this book is a must.

@MsTri oh, your comment really warmed my heart. Thank you, I was smiling all the time while reading it :)

@Aimy I'm pretty sure they would also think it's a world of wonders and miracles, and wonder, you are absolutely right.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Time travels are quite gripping especially in books and movies. The book sounds captivating with the action packed scenes included. Thanks for a nice review.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

This book would make an interesting and a must watch TV series. Ofcourse with interesting characters.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

2033 Nevada! Kristen Keenon's The Fisher Quantum Cartographer is a futuristic narrative where the character of Eliza Carrefour appears to drive the storyline. I think the book will make a worth-while read. Fine review, kislany!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”