Official Review: The heavenly rocker by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The heavenly rocker by Ruth Finnegan

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The heavenly rocker" by Ruth Finnegan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many famous authors have mentioned dreams as the inspiration for their books, and so it is with Ruth Finnegan’s The Heavenly Rocker, The Angel’s Little Sister Plays Merry Heaven and Hell. This is the story of an angel - referred to as “L'il Ole Lil” - who is dissatisfied in Heaven, despite being God’s chief lute player and harpist. As such, L'il decides to abandon Heaven and go to hell, where she proceeds to wreak havoc in Lucifer’s domain, causing the occupants to dance and otherwise make merry. Will Lucifer allow such a travesty in his halls? Will L'il recreate hell? Will hell’s occupants actually live happily ever after? You’ll have to read this tale to find out.

On second thought, you may be better off NOT reading it. This story was only 47 pages, and I finished it in one sitting, but it was a rough 47 pages. While I think there may have been a good story somewhere, I had trouble finding it. The formatting was unusual, and the wording itself was all over the place. The author rarely noted who exactly was speaking, and even when I did know who was speaking, I had trouble making out just what they were supposed to be saying. Ms. Finnegan also had a bad habit of unnecessarily writing in rhyme or alliteration. “Well perhaps that’s wise. (To hell and well and sell and shell it out an’ tell it all (I will!)). And maybe, just maybe, when she gets back she’ll take up trumpeting, windy winging winding instrumentationing, well just maybe” is an example of one of the many passages that had me scratching my head.

In the Author’s Notes at the end of the book, Ms. Finnegan says, “The variations from ‘ordinary’ language, grammar, and spelling reflect both the dreamlike quality of the action (and its origin) and the sound features of the text as it came to me...This is also the reason for the occasional...many somewhat Hopkinesque resonances which sometimes develop into a run of similar-sounding words (sometimes rhyming, sometimes not) where again it is the sounds that matter.” While I understand what she means intellectually, her presentation left a lot to be desired, and I think the book would have been better off if it had been written in an “ordinary” and linear fashion. As it was, I felt more like I was on a bad LSD trip than in a dream.

In addition to the off-putting formatting and writing style, the grammar itself was bad, with almost every page including both misspellings and words that were mashed together. I don’t know if that was part of Ms. Finnegan’s “dreamlike” writing, but it made reading even more of a chore than it already was.

I also had trouble connecting with any of the characters, including the angel’s brother, who acted as the story’s narrator. God, the archangel Michael, and St. Peter were all mentioned in passing, but were not integral parts of the story.

It is with a heavy heart that I must give The Heavenly Rocker 1 out of 4 stars. I had such high hopes for this short tale, but they came crashing to the ground just like L'il Ole Lil came crashing from Heaven.

The heavenly rocker
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm sorry this one was so disappointing. It sounds a little out there to me. I'm glad I didn't choose this one. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It really was, @kandscreeley. I HAD to pick another book and start reading it, just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Haha, it must have been hilarious reading thru this book. It looks like it needs a lot of work.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

This does sound like it would be an interesting plot. However, I am sorry that it did not appease your reading needs. There are those books that make us happy and stick with us for days. Then there are the books that we question why we even read it to begin with. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

You really captured my attention with the first paragraph of your review. It is unfortunate that the book itself didn't live up to your introduction of it. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

A very insightful review, great read. Not for me though, the book's concept sounds confusing.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Though the book may have left something to be desired, I really enjoyed reading your review! The plot seems like an interesting idea, but I'll have to pass on this one.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Yikes! Don't think this one will be making it to my TBR list anytime soon.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

So much for the divine inspiration behind the book. Where did she let her guard down? I wonder...Nice review.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review but the book sounds not appealing to me. Thanks for sharing anyway, i learned in your writing style. Thanks.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

An angel that decides to go to hell to play musical instruments harmoniously there is not my cup of tea, I must say. Even if it was just a dream, I find this plot quite egregious. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”