Official Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Turn by Matthew Tysz is a novel that straddles the line between a post-apocalyptic story and a horror/dark fantasy. It takes place in a world after the occurrence of an (initially) unspecified apocalyptic occurrence referred to as The Turn. Throughout the book, the reader is batted back and forth between the perspectives of several different characters as they navigate this unforgiving post-apocalyptic world. These different story-lines are all separate at first but, as the novel progresses, become more and more intertwined.

Using the multiple perspectives, Tysz paints a picture of humanity’s fall after The Turn. Humanity has gathered itself into pockets of societies whose moral codes vary enormously. Some communities have built themselves up on the basis of honest, hard work. Others, however, have descended quickly into the horrors of slavery and human trafficking. This wide swath of existence leaves room for a multitude of colourful characters throughout the novel, including but not limited to, the scholarly trained assassin, the rogue cowboy slave trader, the lethal womaniser, the loyal but vulnerable businessman/mayor, and others. Not only does this tale paint a picture of humanity and society, but also the constant struggle to find out more on what caused The Turn in the first place.

There was a lot to like about this book, especially for those of us that have a particular soft spot for post-apocalyptic fiction. I enjoyed how the author was able to capture the descent of humanity into pockets of a unique civilisations. The limited contact with other communities is an excellent technique whereby you can justify such a wide swath of collective morals. I also love how Tysz is able to capture the idea of changed identity in a post-apocalyptic world. You will never be the same person as you were before an event like The Turn, but Tysz’s characters dance that line beautifully. For example, a video game playing academic continues wearing a graduation cap in the new world, despite the fact that he is a professionally trained assassin. What I liked best about this book is that it doesn’t force the reader into an explanation on what The Turn actually is. It really isn’t until well into the second half of the book that the events surrounding the apocalypse itself are discussed in detail. I think that this allows the reader to focus on the characters and events in the present day and not necessarily on the defining events of the book’s past.

There were, however, a couple things that affected my enjoyment of this book. First, it took me a while to get both the characters and the timelines straight. As many of the characters didn’t have specific names, but rather pseudonyms (e.g. The Stranger), it wasn’t clear if we were talking about a character that would endure later in the book or just a general description. To begin with, the intermingling of perspectives and timelines confused me and prevented me from committing myself fully to the book. Second, and what I liked the least, was that it wasn’t 100% clear throughout the book what the overarching story was supposed to be. There were several story-lines that merged, a couple of main focuses, but in the end, I can really say what the main conflict and resolution of this novel really was. To be clear, each of the different aspects was interesting and worthwhile, but I didn’t get that satisfying feeling of global conflict resolution at the end of this one.

As I really did enjoy reading about Tysz’s prospective post-apocalyptic world, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book's characters were dynamic and fun, the individual plots were interesting to read, and the comments towards a primarily Hobbesian humanity is exciting. Based on a slight lack of direction and the confusion I had in the first half of the book, I opted to take off one star. This book is definitely recommended to those who jump on every post-apocalyptic novel or those that like a good tale about the dark side of humanity. If you don’t like seeing the horrors of human nature or if post-apocalyptic survival stories don’t get you going, this one won’t be for you. Open up the pages of The Turn if you dare and glimpse into the darkest depths of humanity.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame the overreaching plot wasn't clear until the end, but I too enjoy books with post-apocalyptic themes and the cast seems like a great group to know; I think I actually like that some of them have titles rather than actual names.

I'll probably go ahead and read this, but I'll do so with the fore-warnings you gave. Thanks for this.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you liked this. I started it but couldn't get past trying to figure out what the point was. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gswag
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Gswag »

Must be interesting for a reader like me who fancy the other side of humanity, light in the dark , clear vision of apocalypse... I will love to go deeper into this work of yours and will give you my ratings.
Msanzu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Msanzu »

:lol: this is great stuff....so enjoyful
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I enjoy post-apocalyptic stories, so I may have to give this one a try. Thank you for your honest review, and for sharing your thoughts.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like the fact that the characters are dynamic and fun. It sounds like a book that I won't want to read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I love post-apocalyptic themed books. I think I'll grab this one. Thanks for the great review!
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I like post-apocalyptic books and after reading your review, I think I will give this one a try. Thanks for such a great review!
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

The cover speaks for itself, and the story behind it is definitely right up my alley. However, even after reading the review I am still left confused, but craving to find out more about The Turn. Seems like there will be lots of madness and darkness mixed up. I am all in! Thanks for the review!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I can understand how the lack of a strong story arc would be disappointing. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The book cover drew me in to checking this one out, so thanks for the review. I am quite picky about my apocalyptic books, so I think I would just try a sample first to see if I can get past the first bit. It does sound interesting though.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Very intriguing review. In general I like dystopian movies and serie, but I haven't really gotten into many books that are written in the genre. I'll keep this one in mind. I do like the cover!
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

I love post-apocalyptic stories, very nice review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

The review is lovely, but I don't think this is for me.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”