Official Review: DragonGate by Sam Venstone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: DragonGate by Sam Venstone

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DragonGate" by Sam Venstone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

DragonGate by Sam Venstone is an epic fantasy novel featuring a world full of magic, dragons, and places that are very different from anything we have encountered in real life.

The story starts with Sir Ulryc, a fearless warrior, who travels to the mountains to slain what he knows to be the last dragon alive. Next, he removes the dragon’s eyes to keep them as trophies and to prove to the king that, indeed, the last dragon is finally gone. Unbeknown to him, the dragon's spirit still lives on. When Sir Ulryc comes face to face with the spirit, he becomes a different, much better man. Now, instead of giving the eyes to the king, he takes them to a monastery and begs the monks to guard them, for the eyes have an important purpose in the world.

When the king hears about the hidden treasure in the slain dragon's lair, he sends his army to the monastery to learn the secret of the lair’s whereabouts. During the following fight, a young villager, Tercyn, is given the dragon's last remaining eye to keep it safe from falling into enemy hands. Accompanied by a few monks, he escapes through a secret portal just in time to avoid getting caught.

DragonGate is a high-fantasy tale that contains within a coming-of-age story of a young villager, Tercyn, and the hero’s journey of the four monks who travel with him: Brother Lyst, Brother Hyrhen, Brother Tethyr, and Brother Dolry. They all have their own burdens to carry, and they seem rather unlikable and difficult to get along with at first: Brother Dolry is always sick and is complaining too much, Brother Lyst is a heartless bastard who doesn’t care about anyone around him, Brother Tethyr can't accept help from other people, and Brother Hyrhen can't stay away from trying to help others. Finally, Tercyn is still mourning the loss of his father, who has been recently murdered. Together they embark on a journey that would change their lives forever.

While I was unable to put the book down, I found two issues with the story that need mentioning. First, there are too many characters to keep track of, and many of their names are so similar to each other that you can easily get confused. For example, you have characters with names such as Ulryc, Adryc, Odcryc, Helryc, Melyc, Osryc, Venryc, Tethyr, Tercyn, Ardoc, Corloc, Azloc, etc. Second, the women in the book have mostly unimportant, peripheral roles. They are either evil, greedy, and shallow (like some princesses in their castles) or damsels in distress in need of saving. Sam Venstone doesn’t spend enough time developing any of the female characters, which is a shame. DragonGate is truly a male-centric story.

The writing in the book flows smoothly, and each phrase, sentence, and paragraph is building gracefully upon the previous one. If there are any difficult words within the text, a quick peek at the end of the book reveals a section called Appendices that covers all gods, dragons, calendars, monasteries, and languages mentioned in the story.

I came across only a few grammatical and spelling mistakes throughout the 800 pages. For example, the author wrote "under way," "knew to mindful of this," "They monastery boys were," "had not hidden him my cell," or "the means to free from your prison," most of which are word omissions and simple spelling mistakes. I had previously read much shorter books with way more grammatical errors than the handful found in the huge tome that is DragonGate.

I delighted in the book's captivating atmosphere and got attached to the main characters more than I thought I would. However, considering my two main issues mentioned above, I rate DragonGate 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who likes high-fantasy novels, tales of epic adventures and magic, and stories that reveal a deeper meaning.

DragonGate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Olaniran91
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Olaniran91 »

Nice story
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. It was definitely a little long with a great many characters, but I think it was worth it in the end. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I think my son would enjoy this book, lovely review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@Olaniran91 - thank you
@kandscreeley - I was actually surprised by how much I ended liking the story It is truly an awesome fantasy novel with a few lessons to learn for all of us
@Nthabeleng - if he enjoys fantasy novels with dragons, magic and lots of adventures, then he is definitely a great candidate for reading this book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree... I liked that there was kind of a moral in the story. I started off thinking it wasn't going to rate very high with all the characters and everything. It wasn't long before it changed my mind, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

800 pages seem like a rather large book with characters of similar names. I can see where it would get confusing. I appreciate your review and details about the lack of female character development. Good job!
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

MaryBurris wrote:800 pages seem like a rather large book with characters of similar names. I can see where it would get confusing. I appreciate your review and details about the lack of female character development. Good job!
800+ pages is brutal! I can barely keep up with half those pages. I guess Sci-Fi is a unique niche that tends to create its own rules which I'd rather watch than read, I mean those complex environments and characters. Well done for your well written review.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@kandscreeley - It's really not very often that authors hide a deeper meaning within their books. If the second book in this series comes out, I'll probably pick it up as well.

@MaryBurris and @Alicnim - It is a very long book, but it's worth reading it. Fantasy novels often have this characteristic. Just look at The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - each book is well over 800 pages or The Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin. This particular series has books with over 1000 pages within. Mind-boggling, but true.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Awesome review for a great story, thanks.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Fabrizio Adjako
Currently Reading: DragonGate
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fabrizio Adjako »

I love science fiction. Nice book
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Although I like fantasy, I prefer to have development in female characters. This book might not be for me.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I haven't read a fantasy book in a while... Guess I should dive in
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Highschoolgeek
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3559">City of Bones</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-highschoolgeek.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B07R2NR5RM

Post by Highschoolgeek »

The name alone drew me in am definitely reading
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I love fantasy novels, and this one sounds promising. It's too bad there is no strong female character. I would probably get a bit lost among all the similarly named characters, but that wouldn't keep me from checking it out. Thank you for your insightful review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”