Official Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi C...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi C...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Interesting characters, powerful ancient runes, and a fascinating new world. You'll find all that and more in the latest book in the Magi Charter series by Jordan David. The Elf Legacy is book number five in this fantasy series and comes in at just about 570 pages.

In books one through four, we have been introduced to the world of the North Pole. About every one hundred years, a new Santa is chosen from the real world to take over from the previous Santa. Elves are recruited from amoung the general population as well to take over from retiring elves. There are many different departments in the North Pole from the Husbandry department (that works with the reindeer), to the Factory (to make the toys), to the Administration. All of these ensure that Santa completes his mission every year, getting toys to all the good boys and girls of the world.

The Elf Legacy is a continuation of the previous book where Santa Leopold had finally made the journey to the North Pole to take up permanent residence, so that there would be room to expand in the future. The different departments are just getting established, and everyone is trying to find the right elf for the right job. Meanwhile, the world outside is changing. The elves are coming to them uneducated, but the work is too hard if they cannot read and write. Anna, one of the very first elves, is tasked with starting classes to get the new and old elves up to speed.

Meanwhile, Merlin (yes THAT Merlin) is anxious to leave the North Pole complex behind. Having built most of the complex himself, he must ensure that the runes that are used to power everything continue to work properly. He has trained two apprentices and is eager for them to graduate to Rune Master and take over in the maintenance duties. Unfortunately, the two apprentices, Tetsu and Emiko, don't really get along. Only one will walk in Merlin's footsteps, and they will be forced to do battle with the other. Who will turn out good? And who will choose power over right?

When you hear about a series about the North Pole, you might be tempted to think that it's for kids or teens. I assure you that is not the case. While teenagers would probably enjoy this series, there is something in here for everyone. Magical powers, sword fights and conflict and even just a hint of romance. Mr. David is skilled at drawing the reader in (no matter what age) and holding their attention until the end.

Another thing that I love about this series is the characters. At this point, the characters have become familiar. It's interesting to see how they all fit together from the first book right up until this one. I love seeing them grow and change or seeing where some of them started out at. It's interesting to watch the characters develop; it's even enlightening to see how the bad elves start out. Honestly, I think I'm going to have to go back and re-read the whole series again just to fully put all the pieces of the puzzle together. The books are so interconnected that I'm amazed that the author can keep everything straight the way he does.

I honestly cannot say enough positive about this series. I love the fact that it's family friendly. There's almost no swearing; in fact, I don't recall reading one swear word in the whole series. There's no worry as to sexual content, and even the violence is never overly graphic. The series is very character driven, but there is enough mystery, intrigue and conflict to keep the pickiest reader happy. I could easily see a family sitting down together for a reading time and all enjoying this book from the youngest to the oldest.

It is for all these reasons that I rate The Elf Legacy 4 out of 4 stars. As in previous books of the series, there are a number of instances where homonyms are interchanged. However, I believe the positives vast outweigh this one negative as it's easy to keep reading in spite of this (especially since the words sound the same.) I am completely in love with this series. I recommend it to everyone, and I'm thinking of giving these books as a Christmas gift to family and friends. This is a must read!

The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks, kandscrelley. You didn't mention if the book is a stand alone; is it? I've seen this book a number of times and wondered what it was about. I was totally off the mark; your review set me straight. It sounds like a delightful book/series.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It's not really a standalone. You really have to read the whole series. It's totally worth your time, though! I promise!
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I enjoy reading your Magi Charter reviews. It really shows that you enjoyed all the book. You do have a good point: Christmas is soon upon us, and getting the whole series as a gift to book lovers will be much appreciated.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm thinking of getting my sister started on it. Thanks for commenting kislany!
—Neil Gaiman
Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Miles »

I think its a nice book since it encourage not the teenagers alone but also adults. It's a book I would love to read more thoroughly.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It's really a wonderful series. I can't recommend it enough.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary Giselle
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Mary Giselle »

Re: Official Review:The Elf Legacy -Book Five of Magic by/Jordan David
As I review,the book is very interesting
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Even though I haven't read any of the books, I share your excitement, Kandscreely! I am really planning on getting all the books for Christmas as a gift to guess who? ME! LOL

I know there are nine books in the series, so we still have to hear about the four others. What other intriguing stories can happen in the North Pole? I'm still waiting for Rudolph.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I know. You wouldn't think there would be that many stories about the North Pole. Rudolph hasn't come into play yet but I'll let you know if he does.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've read your reviews for each book in the series and the story seems more and more fascinating. I'm glad you found a series that you enjoy!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Mary Giselle
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Mary Giselle »

Re:Official Reviewer; The Elf Legacy- Book Five of the Magi....
As librarian I can recommend this to all our High School learners and teachers to read this book very interesting

-- 03 Oct 2017, 21:27 --

As librarian I can recommend this to all our High School learners and teachers to read this book very interesting
Njihia muigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njihia-muigai.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Njihia muigai »

Nice informative review. I must say I'm awed by the fluency in your work and I believe it's worth the while. You did well to suggest the book for Christmas coz its a tight fit, in conjunction with the other books in the series
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Its evident how much you have enjoyed this series! I've enjoyed all of the reviews you've written about it. Your enthusiasm always shone through. Thank you!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Amagine wrote:I've read your reviews for each book in the series and the story seems more and more fascinating. I'm glad you found a series that you enjoy!

Great Review! ?
Amagine- Thanks. This is so much more than a book about Santa. I love that there's magic and runes and history all in this one series!

-- 04 Oct 2017, 07:37 --
Mary Giselle wrote:Re:Official Reviewer; The Elf Legacy- Book Five of the Magi....

-- 03 Oct 2017, 21:27 --

Absolutely! It's definitely very teenage friendly. It's interesting and there's history mixed in too!

-- 04 Oct 2017, 07:39 --
Njihia muigai wrote:Nice informative review. I must say I'm awed by the fluency in your work and I believe it's worth the while. You did well to suggest the book for Christmas coz its a tight fit, in conjunction with the other books in the series
Thanks for commenting. :)

-- 04 Oct 2017, 07:40 --
Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Its evident how much you have enjoyed this series! I've enjoyed all of the reviews you've written about it. Your enthusiasm always shone through. Thank you!
Thanks Kelebogile! I appreciate that!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”