Review by Julez -- The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Review by Julez -- The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi...

Post by Julez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Coup is a power-packed, delicious and sensational thriller written by Jordan David. It is the third book in the Magi Charter series but can still pass off as a stand alone book. He explores the terrain of the North Pole and builds up our imagination to its fullest. This book shares the highs and lows of the North Pole and is filled with mystery, intrigue and betrayal but above all, Wisdom conquers Ignorance (Sapienta Vincit Ignorantia in latin).

Noel Night is summoned by the Elf Council where he discovers that he is the principal act in a plan hatched by them to combat the evil and ambitious elf, Mistletoe Green and is trained in the use of the ancient runes for this purpose. Mistletoe Green on the other hand is a dangerous and witty elf to be feared for he will stop at nothing to get what he wants which is ruling the North Pole. Meanwhile, the North Pole is fraught with disaster; Santa and his rescue team have been locked up, The Krampus is on the loose and the reindeers refuse to fly. How will Santa and the elves resolve these issues? Will the mission survive all of these difficulties?

Jordan David brings to mind the saying that ''Life is not a bed of roses'' for although The North Pole is fraught with challenges that tend to affect the mission, the tenacity of these elves is a refreshing reminder to us that we are not to give up no matter the challenges we face in life. There is always a way out. Indeed, Santas come and go but the elves endure through them all.

There are so many lessons to be learned from this book such as the fact we all have hidden potentials within us. It took Noel Night twenty years in the North Pole before he began to unlock his'. Mistletoe Green's meddling with the choice of Santas' also turned out to be a blessing in disguise to The North Pole. Indeed, all things eventually work out for our good just as portrayed in The Elf Coup.

However, I find worrisome the question Noel Night asked Sparkle ''Can you really fly this thing?'' I'm pretty sure that question wouldn't have come up if it were a male elf in her place and I wonder if the author is trying to pass a message across through this scene. I find it quite tiring that women are still not taken seriously for their intellectual prowess in this modern day and age.

I did find most of the characters in this book quite engaging though especially old and senile Cider Eggnog. The way he attacked The Krampus that was feared by all other elves was quite hilarious. The beast ended up running away from him. I have always believed that ignoring your fear makes it powerless and The Elf Coup has only just confirmed that notion for me.

I really enjoyed this book and found it totally engrossing as it kept me on edge right till the very end. It would have gotten a full star rating from me but for some wrong homophonic substitutions and grammatical errors found in it although it didn't distract me from the story. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of sci-fi, adventure and fantasy series with great pleasure. They will definitely love it just like I did.

The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Julez's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Great review, thank you! What an interesting spin on what is usually a perpetually happy perception of the North Pole. I had no idea there was a series like this. I think I'm going to give it a try this Christmas season.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I'm sure you'll love it, Brandi. Thanks so much.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”