Official Review: The Understanding by Dennis Pennefather

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Official Review: The Understanding by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Understanding by Dennis Pennefather is a futuristic science fiction novel. The theme throughout this entire novel is the idea of humanism. The definition in this novel of humanism is similar to a typical view of humanism. The author explains it by saying,
The most significant factor of Universal Humanism, is that there is no individualism, because we are all an integral part of the whole. Thus, there is no, them and us, only ‘Us’, expressed as ‘I’, replacing the old expression ‘God’.
The Understanding is centered on a brief period of time in the life of a fifteen-year-old boy named Adam. This boy is not a normal child, but rather a clone of his father. In this futuristic world that Adam lives in clones are gifted with a knowledge that is universally known as the Understanding. This gift of knowledge is supposed to come all at once to the clone when they are sixteen years old. Since Adam is incredibly close to being sixteen years old, he is anxiously awaiting the arrival of this gift.
After a tragic incident early in the novel Adam is swept into a mission with a boy named Noah. This mission will lead him straight to the girl he is destined to be with.

I enjoyed this novel. I liked the adventures in it and the inventiveness of the author in thinking of this futuristic world and its amenities. One of the hardest things about writing a book is figuring out how to convey information to the reader while not sounding like a book report. The author found a clever way to explain a large amount of information all at once with the use of long monologues from characters that have achieved an Understanding or a partial Understanding. This does lead to a few times where I would get a little bored that there was no conversation and someone just talking for several pages. Some of the information in these long monologues were also challenging because of discussing complicated topics that may or may not interest the reader.

This book had very few grammatical errors and no spelling errors that I could catch, but there are a lot of punctuation errors. The main error in punctuation was the overuse of commas. There were so many commas that were added in places that commas should not have been, such as
Adam’s, cheeks
. But besides the extra commas the rest of the book was written very well.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the plot line to the book and I loved the themes throughout the book. But I will not give it four stars because the extra commas were just too annoying. Also, I would have liked to see more character development. I felt the characters were too flat for me to be invested in their future.

The Understanding
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachel1019's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Am interesting take on genetic memory in this book, though I'm not sure the understanding is actually a racial memory but more something external imposed on the clones. What do you think?
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Thank you for the great review.An interesting book filled with adventure sounds like a great read to me.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

I really like the strategy of using character's monologues to present information. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This futuristic story is interesting. I want to understand what kind of gift is understanding. Adam seems a lovable character. Congratulations for the nice review.

-- 19 Sep 2017, 00:28 --

This futuristic story is interesting. I want to understand what kind of gift is understanding. Adam seems a lovable character. Congratulations for the nice review.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I love the concept of there being no individual, per se, but that we are all the One. While the review states that this kind of gestalt exists, at the same time it infers that that's not the only status on this ...planet?
Not sure how this gets resolved and will probably have to read the book to find out. The concept of the clone inheriting what sounds like generational memories from time before may also be my own misunderstanding, but I think that was what the reviewer was indicating.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a compelling and unique novel. I love the idea that clones are given this knowledge on their 16th birthday! Interesting. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Very interesting views from the author, I'd like very much to read this book and see what's on the table. I liked reading thru your review, Rachel1019
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The biblical names (Adam and Noah) used for the two main characters in Dennis Pennefather's The Understanding make me just curious. "Why Adam and Noah?" I would like to read the book to find out.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

The concept sounds very intriguing and I would like to read it from an intellectual standpoint but excessive monologues and the misuse of commas may be a deal breaker for me. I've read too many smaller-scale books with comma issues lately; I think it's starting to chip away at my tolerance. Still, I may give it a chance just for the concept. Thank you very much for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I enjoyed your review, this book sounds interesting I'll be adding it to my shelves. Think you
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thank you for your review. This sounds like a really good novel. The main character being a clone of his father is a unique twist as is the impending gift at age sixteen. All things that would keep me turning pages looking for answers.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”