Official Review: Blood and Roses by Jordan Petrarca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Blood and Roses by Jordan Petrarca

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood and Roses" by Jordan Petrarca.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blood and Roses by Jordan Petrarca is a science fiction crime thriller. The story is set on the planet Exodus where the seven most powerful families are blessed. This blessing is provided by seven magical relics (one per family) that are passed down from generation to generation. The blessing also provide those that posses it, with incredible magical powers, though each relic provides the blessed with powers unique to itself.

All of these seven families are gangsters, like from the early 1900’s, complete with suits and fedoras. The Rose family acquired the most powerful relic and so, they are the most powerful family. There is a loose alliance between the families ensuring an uneasy peace. With the magical powers they posses they are untouchable by anyone, even the president and his forces.

The story kicks off with Don Meretto Rose, the head of the Rose family, going to the theatre for his birthday. While enjoying the play, the theatre is attacked by Zasso Cicello. The Cicello family is the second most powerful and Zasso is the heir apparent to the family. This is the opening move by the Cicello family to acquire all seven relics, and thus alter the balance of power irrevocably.

When I first started reading I thought this was going to be a typical gangster story, and in a lot of ways it was. However, the addition of magical relics, giving the family members magical powers, gives a wonderful twist to the story. The use of modern day technology, including flying cars, adds even more to the unexpected quality of the story. I especially love the scenes where they use magic for a variety of attacks and defences.

The plot, which at first, seemed to be very straight forward, was twisted out of shape by the inclusion of not just one, but several different players. This kept me guessing to the very end of the story about what was happening. Even at the end there are questions left unanswered, leading nicely to the next novel in the series, which I’m dying to read.

I found it very difficult to put the book down whilst I was reading it. So, even though there were several instances of the wrong word being used, e.g. “waste” instead of “waist” and the wrong tense being used. I have no hesitation in giving this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I think this novel will be enjoyed by anyone who loves gangster stories, as well as anybody with a love a fantasy stories. I don’t think it is suitable for a younger audience due to the graphic scenes of violence that are described in several parts of the book.

Blood and Roses
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Nice review! The plot sounds very original, I don't think I have ever read something similar.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the blend of typical gangster with magical relics. Sounds interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Gangster wars with magical weapons are a unique blend. I recall a Filipino hero named Nardong Putik who has amulets to give him protection.

Thanks for the enthusiastic review, Emie Cuevas!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The plot is not only alluring but also intriguing. I'm curious to know if the Cicello Family acquires all the relics. I really enjoyed reading your review, Emie. Thanks.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

walkingfreckle wrote:Nice review! The plot sounds very original, I don't think I have ever read something similar.
I thought the same thing while I was reading it, I just hope the rest of the series carries on in the same vein.

-- 17 Sep 2017, 19:07 --
Miriam Molina wrote:Gangster wars with magical weapons are a unique blend. I recall a Filipino hero named Nardong Putik who has amulets to give him protection.

Thanks for the enthusiastic review, Emie Cuevas!
I remember Nardong Putik too. He was also a gangster, though also acclaimed as a hero. I don't think the seven families fall into that category.

Why is it that people with extraordinary powers nearly always end up as criminals?

-- 17 Sep 2017, 19:09 --
Kalin Adi wrote:The plot is not only alluring but also intriguing. I'm curious to know if the Cicello Family acquires all the relics. I really enjoyed reading your review, Emie. Thanks.
I personally think that the Cicello family are pawns in a greater plot, though I could be wrong. Either way I want to keep reading to find out if I'm right or not. Loved the book and can't wait to start the next one.

-- 17 Sep 2017, 19:11 --
kandscreeley wrote:I love the blend of typical gangster with magical relics. Sounds interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.
I loved it too, Especially the way when bullets start flying some of the gangsters would weave a shield and be safe, while the rest get mowed down. Awesome imagery in the way he describes it too.
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Seems like a captivating read with you not being able to put the book down and the rating too. It would be interesting to read on the power games for supremacy. I enjoyed your review, thanks.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I have never seen gangsters mixed with supernaturals, that's quite something. Great review as always.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Quinto wrote:Seems like a captivating read with you not being able to put the book down and the rating too. It would be interesting to read on the power games for supremacy. I enjoyed your review, thanks.
It is really good. I'm thinking of rereading it. I usually get much more out a book on a second read and tend to read the best ones several times. How about you?

-- 18 Sep 2017, 17:10 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I have never seen gangsters mixed with supernaturals, that's quite something. Great review as always.
I can't say that I'm usually a fan of gangster type stories, I only read it because of the magic element. Though I did love the way it all meshed so well. Which do you prefer?
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

Oh wow, what a combination it must be! Magical powers and gangsters. It sounds good, I'm curious, I've never read anything like that! Thank you for the great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

DeboraSilva wrote:Oh wow, what a combination it must be! Magical powers and gangsters. It sounds good, I'm curious, I've never read anything like that! Thank you for the great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
It was this mix of gangsters and magic that attracted me to the book in the first place. I just hope the rest of the series lives up to wonderful start.
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I like reading the books of such genre. I look forward to reading it. Good job with the review.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

ReviewerDiksha wrote:I like reading the books of such genre. I look forward to reading it. Good job with the review.
I love magic more than gangsters, but I had to see how well they could mesh. I'm glad you likes the review.
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I am not much of a gangster book or movie fan (unlike my hubby). However, this book seems to be different. I love sci-fi books, and your review makes it very enticing to pick it up. Great review.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

A gangster story with magical elements? This sounds like an intriguing read. I may have to pick this one up for myself. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”