Official Review: Primeval Origins by B.A. Vonsik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Primeval Origins by B.A. Vonsik

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Primeval Origins" by B.A. Vonsik.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if one archaeological/paleontology find could change the way that we understand all of history? That is exactly how B.A. Vonsik begins his tale of Primeval Origins. The book begins rather normally, with a paleontology dig taking place in Bolivia. An extremely large, carnivorous dinosaur’s fossilized remains have been found and a team of American scientists are working hard. This, however, will not be like any other dig these men and women have experienced before. Not only are there marks in some of the bones that hint at an extremely sharp, sword-like weapon being used on the dinosaurs, but the potential implement is fount lodged in the skull. The team quickly realizes that there is more here than meets the eye, when a full cache of these weapons are discovered, and powerful forces are released.

The reader is then transported, presumably, back millions of years and the story takes another angle. We now follow Rogaan, a Tellen adolescent, who has finally been given the opportunity to join his tribe on the annual hunt. Rogaan ventures out into the dangerous world beyond the walls of Brigum and seeks to prove himself as a warrior. During the hunt, Vonsik weaves a tale of a land where humans, dinosaurs, and all sorts of prehistoric creatures live on the same Earth. He leads the reader through how they would interact with each other and through the humans’ fight to survive the creatures and each other. Upon the hunts conclusion, Rogaan (and the reader), are quick to realise that not all is as peaceful as things seem. He is thrown head over heels into a controversy that he clearly doesn’t understand and finds himself, on more than one occasion, running for his life. Not knowing who to trust or where to go, Rogaan tries desperately to keep himself and his friends alive amongst all those who would help and harm him.

Vonsik is an extremely good story teller and goes the extra mile to put you into whichever location he has set up next. He has built a backstory, history, and a world for his characters reminiscent of any great epic fantasy. He has evidently put countless hours into developing his characters and his world in order to make the fiction come to life in the eye of the reader. The plot itself is well thought out, exciting, and full of action. It was definitely more than enough to keep you flipping page after page. What I liked the most about this book was how the author was able to imagine humans and dinosaurs living together. It was very fascinating for me to read of how these people would have avoided being eaten, hunted the monsters, developed techniques to avoid detection, and even tame some enough to ride these beasts.

There were two things that I found either annoying or distracting about this book. The first, and what I disliked the most, is often found in the annals of epic fantasies throughout literature: the creative naming of characters, places, and things. I understand that the point is to extend the reader beyond reality but when I am faced with instance after instance of items like Kiuri’Ner, Dubsa’Sauru’Saar, shuni’ra, Zagdu-i-Kuzu, or Ursa-ne-Ursa, I get slightly annoyed. My second point also is often the case with epic fantasies. There was a ton of information and history packed into this book and, in my opinion, not long enough. Books like these are often massive tomes of literature and there is often a reason for this. All of the background information needs to be passed along to the reader alongside the main storyline. Although this book did very well in passing both messages for its duration, I really did feel like I only got half a book. There is a blatant cliff-hanger at the end and nothing was entirely resolved. I much prefer it when books in a series can either act well as an individual novel or at least tie up a few loose ends before sucking you into a sequel. This is not the case for this book.

I really did enjoy this book and have no qualms giving Primeval Origins a solid 3 out of 4 stars. It is very well thought out, well written, and definitely thought provoking. Unfortunately, based on the points above, and the blatant forcing of the reader to read the sequel to get modicum of closure, I had to take away a measly star. If you are a fan of epic fantasy novels, love reading about new worlds, or have a thing for humans and dinosaurs co-existing, this book is for you. If you absolutely need closure at the end of a book and don’t care for an author forcing you into a sequel, this one won’t be for you.

Primeval Origins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

I watched a movie about human beings and dinosaurs coexisting recently and I liked it, but I'm tired of reading books with abrupt endings. I might not read this just yet. Nice review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like a neat book, but the crappy ending might be a discouragement...
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I really like the fantastical premise of this one - the idea that humans and dinosaurs inhabit the Earth at the same time! But I'm definitely put off by the 'creative naming.' This is something that I find super distracting in fantasy novels like this one. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I understand about the names. That would get on my nerves as well. Thanks for bearing through and completing the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love stories about humans interacting with dinosaurs. I'm a big fan of things like Jurassic Park and Primeval. I was thinking in this story, why did the author bother with the archaeological dig at the beginning, the story doesn't really need it. I can't wait to read this series. Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Emie Cuevas wrote:I love stories about humans interacting with dinosaurs. I'm a big fan of things like Jurassic Park and Primeval. I was thinking in this story, why did the author bother with the archaeological dig at the beginning, the story doesn't really need it. I can't wait to read this series. Thanks for the great review.
I'm thinking that the prologue/archaeological story may come to play a bit more in the sequel(s). There is a whole "portal" / "magic" aspect that is alluded to in both the prologue and the epilogue and we may be seeing a time travel or transfer of consciousness idea happening later. We will see I guess!
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I am definitely not a fan of epic fantasies, especially, narratives where humans and dinosaurs co-exist. However, I think B.A. Vonsik's book is interesting.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Sounds like an interesting read but the author stretches the imagination too far in naming the characters. It makes the book to me feel forced and unrealistic. Great review.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Thanks for the review. I give it 2 out of 4. It is good book.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

The cover of this book drew me in. It was old school sci-fi style, which I kinda love! I am not sure though. Like you, I find the super creative fantasy/sci-fi names draining, not to mention hard to remember, and forget trying to talk about the book or figuring out how to pronounce them properly. However, the book does sound moderately interesting.
Kravyn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kravyn »

I like the duel-time premise, but I don't like the idea of being almost "forced" into a sequel just to find out how a story ends. I don't know about this one.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

wow, nice book! I love to read when it talks about the stories of long ago. I want to read this one. Nice review as well.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I live epic fantasy novels. I'll give it a read. Thanks for the review.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Good review. A epic adventure showing humans, gods, and dinosaurs inhabiting the earth all at the same time sounds interesting. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”