Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exiles' Escape" by W. Clark Boutwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2129 and America has dissolved into a dystopian society divided into two factions. The Unity is in control of several major cities, providing employment, tracking devices and forced retirement at age 40, while the rest of America is known for its turmoil, killer plants, slavers and Ageplay, a technology used to extend human lifespan. In Exiles’ Escape, Book Two in W. Clark Boutwell’s Old Men and Infidels fantasy series, the story follows Will, Hecate and Malila, as they are brought together trying to escape the oppression of the Unity.

Malila, after her return to the Unity from the outlands of America, is hounded by memories of Jesse, the old man who helped her survive and opened her eyes to a different way of life. Will she ever see him again to apologise for her actions? Jesse is trying to track Malila but finds himself in the middle of an assassination plot. Malila, along with her friend, Hecate, attempt to escape the Unity’s stronghold, running into Will along the way. While Will seems friendly, he’s in Unity under false pretences and has orders to kill Malila. Will he be able to bring himself to carry them out, and will Jesse be able to get to Malila before it’s too late?

Written in third person, the story changes between the different characters, giving detailed overviews from every perspective. The characters each have their own strong personalities, which become apparent in how they face obstacles in their way. While determined to escape, Hecate and Malila show their strength in overcoming the doctrines they’ve been brainwashed with since birth. Will comes across as a likeable character who appears genuinely good hearted. The reader is able to see that while his previous training has tried to ultimately get him to kill, he still hasn’t lost his own sense of right and wrong.

The concepts looked at here were intriguing and not too unrealistic for a futuristic world. With all political upheavals, there is always potential for people to take power for themselves at the cost of others. It also looked at human nature and how, when there are restrictions on food or necessities, people are forced to show their true colours, and trust becomes an unknown concept.

As the second book in the series, there were parts of the story which were difficult to understand, as well as multiple references to Book One. This is not really a stand-alone book and I would highly recommend reading this series in order. There is a summary of Book One in the Appendix, outlining the background of the story which is helpful, however, I only found this after finishing the book.

Unfortunately, in the first half of the book there are multiple punctuation errors which would be picked up with another run through with the editor. There is also a lot going on in this book, and it took me awhile to get immersed in the story. While jumping between the characters is helpful to get to know each one, it can make it confusing for the reader.

This book had a lot of interesting concepts of how a dystopian society would work in a futuristic America, which I enjoyed. However, due to the editorial errors I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is for readers who like books which look at futuristic societies and the problems they face, such as Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner, although I would recommend starting with Book One.

Exiles' Escape
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The premise of this one sounds interesting and unique, but I think I'll take your advice and consider reading the first installment before picking up this one.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I always wonder what life will be like in the next century. Thank you for the detailed review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a series I would enjoy. I love a good dystopian read. However, I would definitely do as you said and start with book one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Nice review!
Thanks for telling me about the summary of the book one in the appendix, if I eventually read the book I'll start from there.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

The book sounds like something I would enjoy but the fact that I have to read it in order is discouraging. Great review though.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like my kind of dystopia, I can manage with the punctuation issues.
Great review

-- 13 Sep 2017, 06:01 --

Sounds like my kind of dystopia, I can manage with the punctuation issues.
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with intriguing characters. Too bad, though, about the errors. Moreover, it seems like I need to read Book 1 first in order to enjoy this part :) Good job on the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I like when authors change the voices among the characters, this gives a better insight of the story to the readers. This book about a futurictic world sounds promising. Too bad you found the summary of Book One only when you had fisnished reading. Thanks for te review!
ronmathewalx
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronmathewalx.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ronmathewalx »

A great Review. Unfortunately, I started with Book 2... But it's not such a big problem. I feel that the book is a little underrated, cause I love the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”