Official Review: Whispers From The Wasteland by MJ Tilbrook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Whispers From The Wasteland by MJ Tilbrook

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whispers From The Wasteland" by MJ Tilbrook.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whispers from the Wasteland by MJ Tilbrook is a novel in the science fiction/fantasy genre. This book is a prequel to the series entitled A Tale of Grudge and Gods. According to Amazon, there are 532 pages. However, in the version I reviewed, there were only around 225.

Hylore Grudge has released a plague on mankind. The name of this scourge? Terra Phorm. These tendrils of black and purple have not only taken over the country but have infected the population as well. Those who have not been driven mad by this disease have been banished to the part of the city infested by the Terra Phorm. They are forced to scavenge the ruins and fend for themselves against the Terra Phorm and the monsters it has created.

This book follows five people. First, we have a gentleman named Koden. He has joined a group called the Ferryman (who try to keep order), but he is not easily accepted considering he comes from the town of Hallovale. Next is a girl named Merak who possesses special abilities. She is under the protection of the most hated man in all of Hallovale, Hylore Grudge himself. The next person we get to meet is named Iban. He is the son of a Ferryman and goes to the academy to train to become a Ferryman like his father. Fourth, we meet Pox, one of those whom the town has exiled. She has been infected by spores from the Terra Phorm, but it has not driven her crazy like some. She and a group of others like her (known as Enderlings) band together to try to survive this exile. Lastly, there is Waker. Waker lives in Guaranthium, a city with a very high wall to keep the Terra Phorm out. Waker is a scientist experimenting on the Terra Phorm (and its victims) to find a way to control it.

What becomes of each of these people? What do they have to do with each other? Who exactly is Hylore Grudge and what is this Terra Phorm he released on the world? Will someone be able to put a stop to the Terra Phorm and cure its victims?

I wish I could say that all you had to do was read this novel and all your questions would be answered. That is not the case, however. In fact, you will probably finish the book with more questions than you started with. Since this book is a prequel, though, I doubt the author intended to wrap up a story in a nice, neat box. In prequels, the author's goal is usually to get the reader so intrigued by the world that he has created that the reader can't help but to continue the series. If that was Mr. Tilbrook's purpose, he has succeeded as far as I'm concerned.

The author's world building skills are on point. I was able to picture the Terra Phorm in my mind taking over the buildings and infesting people. There is even a scene where there is a sort of dust storm except that it is made of Terra Phorm spores. With the author's description, I was able to imagine what this would be like. Even though the world is different from anything we are familiar with, Mr. Tilbrook uses his words to help set the scene.

Right away, the story lures you in and urges you to keep reading. At some points, you see the lives of the characters intersecting, but there really is no over arching plot that ties everything together. Still, the story moves along quickly, and I doubt anyone could be bored while reading this novel.

Unfortunately, I think it is evident that the book is not professionally edited. The formatting was nice, but there were grammatical errors on just about every page. Mostly, the errors consisted of word substitutions (feel instead of fell) and missing words. To me, it was a slight annoyance to which I rolled my eyes. I know that there are others who would find this more bothersome, though.

My first thought upon finishing the book was, “What happens??” I was eager to read the first book in the A Tale of Grudge and Gods series to see how (and if) the characters reappeared. I, therefore, rate Whispers from the Wasteland 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the number of errors in the manuscript, I was not able to award it a perfect score. A word of caution to potential readers: this book is not for the faint of heart. There are a number of gruesome scenes as well as adult content. I would recommend this only to mature readers who enjoy a good apocalyptic science fiction and are eager to get involved in a series.

Whispers From The Wasteland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love books that makes you eager to read more. It sounds like this is a great read!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely was. I'm going to have to look at the next in the series. Thanks for commenting Amagine!
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sci-fi and fantasy authors are getting more and more imaginative with their villains. This one is using a plant to wreak havoc on humankind. (I'm guessing Terra Phorm is a plant as it has tendrils.) Soon, everything around us will be suspect haha.

These books are scary prophecies of the world to come. But we love reading them, we silly people.

Thanks for another engrossing review, Kandscreely. Congratulations on becoming Special Discussion Leader! Does that mean I can harass you with my questions? LOL
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I'm a huge science fiction fan, and this sounds like it has all the elements I look for in a book of this genre. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'll be adding this to my growing list of books I want to read. ?
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote:Sci-fi and fantasy authors are getting more and more imaginative with their villains. This one is using a plant to wreak havoc on humankind. (I'm guessing Terra Phorm is a plant as it has tendrils.) Soon, everything around us will be suspect haha.

These books are scary prophecies of the world to come. But we love reading them, we silly people.

Thanks for another engrossing review, Kandscreely. Congratulations on becoming Special Discussion Leader! Does that mean I can harass you with my questions? LOL
Yes, the Terra Phorm is a plant. However, it seems to be more. The author talks about it having its own language (although no one can understand it.) I guess to truly find out, we'll have to read the next book. :)

Thanks! You can try to harass me with questions, but I can't guarantee I'll answer them. I'm leading the author interviews!

-- 01 Sep 2017, 09:10 --
Christina Rose wrote:I'm a huge science fiction fan, and this sounds like it has all the elements I look for in a book of this genre. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'll be adding this to my growing list of books I want to read. ?
Thanks Christina Rose! The good thing about this one is that the other books are already out on Amazon. So, once you start it, you can read all of them.
—Neil Gaiman
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

What a great review! This sounds like a great book despite the technical errors. The premise reminds me a lot of the book, The Passage, which I really enjoyed. I'm going to have to check this one out!
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another great review! It's high praise that you want to read the first book in the series after finishing this one. Wow, there are errors on almost every page? That's a shame since it sounds like the story was really interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:What a great review! This sounds like a great book despite the technical errors. The premise reminds me a lot of the book, The Passage, which I really enjoyed. I'm going to have to check this one out!
If you do end up reading it, let me know what you think! Thanks for commenting.

-- 01 Sep 2017, 10:53 --
bookowlie wrote:Another great review! It's high praise that you want to read the first book in the series after finishing this one. Wow, there are errors on almost every page? That's a shame since it sounds like the story was really interesting.
There were quite a few errors, but it was mostly homophones. So, as long as that doesn't distract you too much, it was still worth reading.
—Neil Gaiman
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I've watched a lot of movies and read a lot of books with this concept. This one is not for me. Great review tho.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks charlesjr2. This concept has been done a lot, I agree. However, the author is really putting his own spin on things. You might reconsider.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Always up for an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic book. As always, kandscreeley, outstanding review. From the book cover I would not have picked it but now it's safely snuggled on my bookshelf, thank you!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thank YOU, geoffrey ngoima. I love a good apocalyptic read myself. This one wasn't quite what I expected but in a good way!
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

kandscreeley wrote:Thank YOU, geoffrey ngoima. I love a good apocalyptic read myself. This one wasn't quite what I expected but in a good way!
Ah, more votes. I'd have to move it up on the to read list
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Oooooo this book sounds really good. I've been a fan of reading apocalyptic type novels recently so this sounds like a good read. It's a shame about the errors, but hopefully the author revises them. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”