Official Review: DragonGate by Sam Venstone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: DragonGate by Sam Venstone

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DragonGate" by Sam Venstone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In life, we all face trials and tribulations. How we choose to react to these troubles can determine the course of our lives. Have you chosen to face the dragons from your past? Or are you cowering in fear? Journey to the Land of Dragons to overcome your fear and move forward in joy!

A long time ago, Sir Ulryc slew the last dragon. He removed the eyes of the dragon to take back as trophies. The eyes of the dragon, though, still held the spirit of the dragon. Sir Ulryc has an encounter with the spirit that changes him, and he realizes that the eyes do not belong to him. They are entrusted to a monastery that recognizes the wisdom and strength of the dragons.

For years, the monastery has sent initiates with this eye to the Land of Dragons. Unfortunately, the king learns about the last dragon's treasure and will do anything to get it. The secret lies with this monastery, and it is attacked. Some of the novice monks as well as a lone orphan are able to keep this eye from falling into enemy hands, but only by going into the Land of Dragons themselves to face their own personal dragons. Brother Lyst thinks only of himself; he has no wish to interfere in anyone's life. Brother Tethyr wants help from no one; he is perfectly capable of doing everything on his own. Brother Hyrhen feels the need to help everyone. Brother Dolry is very sickly; he need someone to do something for him at all times. Tercyn has only recently lost his father, and he still feels that loss deeply. Will the four monks and Tercyn be able to overcome their Dragons? Or will they perish in the Land of Dragons with the eye lost forever?

DragonGate by Sam Venstone is an epic fantasy adventure. At just under 800 pages, it's not a book in which to indulge for a quick weekend read. It is a book that one sips slowly as a vintage wine. The story has a steady pace that keeps the plot moving, but it is not necessarily what one would called action-packed. Rather as stated above, this has more of an adventure feel as The NeverEnding Story.

At first, some of the characters are quite unlikable. There were some that I even wanted to reach through the book and slap. However, that is part of the magic of the journey. Will these characters change? Or will they be stuck in their old ways forever? The author has created these characters in such a way that even though you are frustrated with them, you empathize with them and understand them at the same time.

Unfortunately there were so many characters mentioned in this book, there was no way to keep them all straight. This was especially evident in the first part of the novel, but it does continue throughout the book. Other than our four monks and Tercyn, I stopped trying to keep them all straight. At that point, I was able to relax and enjoy the tale.

I also enjoyed the magic that the author weaves into the story. While the characters face their dragons, there are many different creatures that are encountered in many different worlds. Some of these are ogres and trolls. My favorite magical aspect, though, was a world that existed inside the belly of a dragon. To find out how that happened, you'll just have to read the book.

Sadly, the book is somewhat repetitive in nature. In a way, this is understandable as there is a ceremonial aspect to this book that is repeated. However, in a book that is this long, anything that is repeated gets quite tedious after a while. I believe the book would have been better if the author had reworked it in such a way as to take these repetitive parts out. The plot would not suffer, and the book would be shorter. A win all the way around.

While the adventure is fun, unique and skillfully written, it's longer than many would take the time to read. There is a great theme of facing your fears to move forward in your life, but the book is somewhat repetitive with a vast number of characters. I nevertheless enjoyed reading this book, although I'm not sure I would read it again. It is for these reasons that I rate DragonGate 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to those that enjoy long, adventurous journeys full of magic and hope.

DragonGate
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I really like your review. However, this is not my type of book
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely one that not everyone will enjoy. That's for sure. Thanks for commenting though charlesjr!
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'd also like to sip it "slowly as a vintage wine," haha. The issue with the scores of characters was sth I also dealt with,.. When I'm up for a long read I'll be sure to pick this one
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

If I wasn't trying to review the book, the number of characters probably wouldn't be too bad. But if you're really trying to follow along with everyone, it becomes a bit much. Thanks for the comment.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

kandscreeley wrote:If I wasn't trying to review the book, the number of characters probably wouldn't be too bad. But if you're really trying to follow along with everyone, it becomes a bit much. Thanks for the comment.
You're welcome, and as always great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

700+ pages is too long for me. But, I love an epic tale. I'll need a mighty long time for this book. Great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Julius... It definitely is long for most people.
—Neil Gaiman
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love dragons, and any book that has dragon in the title, or a picture of one on the cover just grabs me.

I was disappointed when you said all the dragons had been killed as that put me off reading it. However, you also mentioned something about a world in the belly of the dragon and that got me interested again. Too many characters doesn't put me off, though the repetitive nature might. So all in all I'm intrigued by this book, but I'm not sure I would want to read it. Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

There are definitely still dragon elements in this. It's worth a try if you are willing for a long read. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

wow, i enjoyed so much reading your review. trying to imagine your description. i feel I was there also looking at the dragon, Thanks kandscreeley.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jem. It's a good book if you don't mind settling in for a while.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I wouldn't mind a long read if the content is captivating. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks ritah! I don't like reading long books all the time, but every once in a while, it's okay.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love epic fantasies, but not sure this one is for me. Too bad the book is somewhat repetitive and has so many characters. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”