Official Review: Star Boat by Roger F. Vanderlaan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Star Boat by Roger F. Vanderlaan

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Star Boat" by Roger F. Vanderlaan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wanted to take a cruise... to the stars? Join Commander Jeff Travers and Cruise Hostess Erlie Dawn for the journey of a lifetime aboard Star Boat.

The plans have been in the works for years now. In fact, it's almost ready – a cruise ship built to sail to the stars. Commander Jeff Travers has been asked to command the ship which will carry civilian passengers to the stars for the first time in history. Their mission is to bring peace to the alien peoples living on some of the planets in this solar system. Unfortunately, not everyone is happy about that. There is a group called the Black Cartel that would rather promote war and will stop at nothing to make sure that Commander Travers fails no matter the cost. This pleasure cruise might well turn into a nightmare.

The concept of this book drew me in as I love taking cruises. I wanted to live vicariously through the characters as they cruised where I can only dream about. The descriptions of the planets did not disappoint. I felt like I was there as the ship cruised from the Moon to Mars to Europa. The author uses vivid words to describe the worlds that are so different from our own.

Unfortunately, the science part of this fiction book was, to me, lacking. This ship is described as very similar in design to a cruise ship that sails the ocean (as you can tell from the cover of the book.) Two twin geniuses, Pete and Pat Greenwald, have designed a system called AGGIE. AGGIE is designed to keep the ship afloat in space as well as providing atmosphere and gravity. However, it isn't really explained how the ship maintains breathable air. After all, this ship is complete with open decks and swimming pools. I can see that there would be some type of system keeping the vacuum of space away, but where does the air come from? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Overlooking the fact that the science behind the ship requires some suspension of disbelief, this book necessitates a bit of patience. Plot lines in this novel tend to come and go. A short time into the story we are introduced to two kids and their pet goat Cappy. These two kids – Pepe and Rosy – flee Mexico to the United States along with their mother and goat. What does this have to do with Star Boat? You'll find out eventually, but the author doesn't reintroduce them until quite a bit farther into the story. This is one of several examples regarding the meandering side stories. This causes the plot to drag in some places which is distressing in a 500 page novel.

One more thing worth mentioning is that, although the author is great at describing the planets in the solar system, he didn't do very well at setting the stage back on Earth. It took quite a few chapters to even figure out what year it is – 2077 if you are interested. He makes it obvious that advances in society have been made, but he doesn't really tell us what they are. What does his world look like in 2077? I still don't really know. This was very disappointing to me as it took away from some of the realism.

This is a book that I find myself wanting to give half stars. If I could I would give this book 2.5 stars. Since I can't, I rate Star Boat 2 out of 4 stars. The book is rather lengthy, the plot drags in places, the scene isn't set up well enough, and the science is lacking. There is a good story in there somewhere, but it gets buried along the way. I would cautiously recommend this to science fiction fans that don't mind unrealistic science and a meandering story.

Star Boat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Interesting book. I wonder if the "science" is really important to appreciate the book. But it's hard to appreciate without the scenes being set up well. This is a helpful review.
-rk
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The premise of this one sounded like it had a lot of potential, but it's too bad the execution wasn't there. It would drive me nuts having to wait that long just to figure out what year this all takes place in. Really interesting review; honesty is always appreciated!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thank raikyuu. I know not everyone would be bothered by the lack of "science." The scene setting is definitely harder to deal with, though.

Marisa- It's a great concept. I just wish it had been done a little better. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your honest review, kandscreeley. The introducing characters and then not mentioning them again until later in the book can get kind of tedious, and I can definitely see how it would make the plot drag. Though I do love the concept of being on a cruise ship and going to the stars would be awesome, I don't think this is a read for me. The plot dragging and lacking in setting description is a bit of a turn off. Thank you for another great review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks hsimone. You're right the concept is great. I expected great things. It just wasn't quite there.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A pleasure cruise to the stars would be awesome! But 60 years from now, I think I would already be among the stars.

Too bad the story doesn't seem to live up to its promise, with all the minuses you mentioned. I hope the author can make the needed adjustments.

Thanks, Kandscreely. I always look forward to reading your reviews.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam! That's sweet!
—Neil Gaiman
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

I'm always interested in the science but I don't think a 500 page novel without much of science will be appealing to me. Thanks for the nice review anyway.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Ubyamos. I know someone wouldn't mind, but I really had to set that aside to finish reading.
—Neil Gaiman
kittymamamau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittymamamau.html
Latest Review: Fences by Angela Khrsitin Brown

Post by kittymamamau »

What a shame. I feel that this story could have had a lot of potential. I probably won't read this one, but thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Kittymamamau. It did have potential... It's really too bad.
—Neil Gaiman
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Right away with the cover of the book and the intro of the review, I think of a Dr. Who episode where passengers travel on a cruise ship, the Titanic, through space and experience the wonders of an alien planet (Earth) on Christmas Eve. I might just have to give this book a read!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I hope you enjoy if you do read Afuglsan!
—Neil Gaiman
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

The first time I saw the book cover, I thought the title was Stat Trek. Though the idea of a cruise ship is great, I think more detail would be greater. Thanks for your review, Kandscreely. Its was a real eye opener.
I will probably wait around and see if any improvement is made.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”