Official Review: Duilleog by Donald D. Allan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Duilleog by Donald D. Allan

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duilleog" by Donald D. Allan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will has never felt comfortable staying in towns for long periods of time. He gets restless and feels the call of nature dragging him back into the woods and his world of herbs. Although he can barely remember her, his mother’s last words – a warning to stay away from others and not to attract attention at all costs – ring in his ears. This is especially true when Will finds himself in possession of a magical coin that gives him the ability to use amazing powers – or rather, enhances the powers he always had. With no mentors to teach him how to use his new abilities, Will decides to go after the Draoi Manuscript, a tome written for magic users such as himself. However, the only remaining manuscript is in the capital city of Munsten, and the journey there is long and arduous. Will’s curiosity and yearning to learn more about his past leaves him no choice but to set off into the unknown.

Duilleog is the first novel in Donald D. Allan’s New Druid Series, and it introduces Will and his powers, as well as the current political landscape in the novel. In the novel’s setting, there is a power struggle between the Church and the Word. Followers of the Church, although few in numbers, are aiming to overthrow the Lord Protector and resume control over the land. Also, once they track down Will and kill him, they will have wiped out the last of the druids.

I have to say, I was quite pleased by the beginning of the book. Will is a very likeable and relatable character, and there was a good balance between action and explanations. However, Will’s story basically ended after the first 150 pages. The next 100 pages covered completely different characters and included flashbacks and backstories to flesh out their importance to the plot. We didn’t see Will again until the “Epilogue” of the novel, and even then he had only made it to the next town over.

I was fine with the change in perspectives at first. After all, it’s great to known what’s going on in the town Will is heading to before he actually gets there. However, I lost interest when things dragged on and on. Although some of the characters were genuinely interesting, too many were introduced at once, and it was hard to keep track of who followed the Church and who followed the Word, or why they were so against a particular person. I was attached to Will and his journey, not these people. I much rather would have stopped in to see how he was doing every few chapters, rather than split the stories into two separate chunks. It felt very much like the book’s plot took a very long detour, only for it to end a block away from where it started.

Donald D. Allan has an interesting writing style, and I think people with more patience would finish this book and be eager to see where its sequel takes them. However, I personally can only give Duilleog 3 out of 4 stars, and I can’t say that I’ll be reading any of the sequential novels any time soon. I would recommend this book to lovers of historical and fantasy fiction, especially those with complicated background stories and political settings. However, if you’re like me and you prefer simple, fast-paced novels, then Duilleog may not be your cup of tea.

Duilleog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Will's finding of the magical coin is similar to Aladin's finding of the magic lamp and I've always loved Aladin...but I don't think I have the patience for sequels. Guess I'll just have to follow this up. Thanks for you review, Katiesquilts.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the magical con and hunting after the tome. I don't think I'd like the writing style. Thanks though. Good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote:I like the magical con and hunting after the tome. I don't think I'd like the writing style. Thanks though. Good review.
I agree with Kandscreeley. Nothing else to say.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

LadyClaire wrote:Will's finding of the magical coin is similar to Aladin's finding of the magic lamp and I've always loved Aladin...but I don't think I have the patience for sequels. Guess I'll just have to follow this up. Thanks for you review, Katiesquilts.
I suppose the stories are a bit similar! The settings are quite different, though. :lol:
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

It is exciting, how Will use his magical power. But, in church context, magical possession from evil is prohibited. Thank you for the review. It is only a story but somehow it happens in remote areas who believe on magic.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I have similar feelings towards changes in perspective. The shift from Will to other characters and flashbacks probably would have disturbed me so much that I'd stop reading.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice detailed review! But I think the pacing of this book is slow for my taste.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent, insightful review! The premise sounds interesting, but I don't think I would like the main character's story basically ending halfway through the book. I like your line that the plot takes "a long detour." :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”