Official Review: Frequencies by Linda Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Frequencies by Linda Armstrong

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frequencies" by Linda Armstrong.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are sound waves all around us. These sound waves are called frequencies, and the town of Bellville has been built to use these for their benefit. Not only does this create peace and harmony, but it can cure sickness as well.

Molly is fleeing from her gangster boyfriend Tony, when her car breaks down on the side of the road. Rory comes along just in time to help her out. He points out that her name means gangster’s woman, so she decides to use the nickname Eva. He then takes her to the town of Bellville where the citizens all help her to evade Tony. Bellville wants to offer her citizenship, but she has a lot to learn about the town and its frequencies.

Frequencies by Linda Armstrong is a novel of about 280 pages in the science fiction genre. You can read this for free with Kindle Unlimited or purchase the Kindle edition for $9.99. It is classified for teenagers, although I think it might be better suited for adults.

The town of Bellville is intriguing. I enjoyed the descriptions of some of the unique buildings in town. The library, for example, is made of glass and resembles a stadium. It has reflective technology to make it blend in with the scenery around it. It also contains a greenhouse where many fruits and vegetables are grown. Ms. Armstrong does a great job in describing this town and making it come alive in the mind of the reader.

While I was curious about where the story was headed and what would eventually happen to Molly/Eva, the story started dragging in the middle. The plot seemed to focus more on the town of Bellville than Eva. I was fascinated about this different town with its frequencies, but Ms. Armstrong seemed to just linger a little too long on the details.

Along the same lines, I don’t feel like the author spent enough time telling us about Eva and her history. We only learn very small bits about what her life was like with Tony before arriving in Bellville. There are also times that the author alludes to a past memory but never tells what it was. For example, when Eva gets dressed up to go to a town dance, she mentions that the formal clothes evoked a memory from long ago. We are never told, however, what that memory was. This made me feel as if something was left out.

Furthermore, I feel the need to mention that true fans of science fiction will be disappointed in this novel. I am guessing this was put into the science fiction genre because of the frequencies that are used in the town. Yet, that really does not qualify this book as science fiction, in my opinion. There is no magic, no time travel, no supernatural creatures, no alternate universe. I think the author would be best served by reconsidering which genre this book belongs to.

Unfortunately, there were also errors sprinkled throughout the book. These consisted of the usual punctuation errors as well as tense issues and run-on sentences. While there was nothing extremely grievous, it leads me to believe that this book has not been professionally edited.

All in all I rate Frequencies 2 out of 4 stars. The consistent errors caused the book to lose 1 star. The other star was lost due to the dragging in the middle of the story line as well as details missing from the life of the main character. Some might enjoy this book, especially those who enjoy reading details of a Utopian society. For my part, I think there needs to be some major reworking in this novel.

Frequencies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

That library does sound awesome! I appreciated the fair critiques in this review. Nicely done.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yeah I would definitely take a library like that one! :) Thanks for stopping by Tanaya.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Hm I'm curious about this novel. I agree that it doesn't really sound like sci-fi. Seems like the author has an interest premise but needs to work on the execution. Really good review!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree that this doesn't really sound like a science fiction. The town sounds interesting but it's disappointing that the author doesn't focus more on the characters than the town itself.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks marisarose and amagine. This book was difficult for me to rate. It was a very interesting premise. I think it just needs some work and a new genre.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Yes, it would seem difficult to place this book in a genre. I am intrigued by the town's use of frequencies for harmony and healing. It sounds like the situation in the book parallels our own current scientific developments. For example, the use of new techniques such red light therapy and bi-neural beat frequencies to address both physical pain and psychological issues. Thanks for your review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

What an honest review! It seems I can learn a lot from your style of writing. I might not read this book but Iam definitely going to read more of your reviews.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Spirit Wandering wrote:Yes, it would seem difficult to place this book in a genre. I am intrigued by the town's use of frequencies for harmony and healing. It sounds like the situation in the book parallels our own current scientific developments. For example, the use of new techniques such red light therapy and bi-neural beat frequencies to address both physical pain and psychological issues. Thanks for your review.
Yeah. It does sound something quite similar to that. It's almost something I could see being used some day. I'm not sure what genre I would put it in. Possibly other fiction? But I definitely wouldn't call it science fiction. It's an interesting concept though.

-- 01 Jun 2017, 07:43 --
centfie wrote:What an honest review! It seems I can learn a lot from your style of writing. I might not read this book but Iam definitely going to read more of your reviews.
Thanks! I appreciate that! Hopefully you'll find a book that you will enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I really enjoyed your analysis. I know not to touch a book when I've been told that it 'drags in the middle'.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime. It definitely is hard when books start dragging. Everyone is different though.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thanks for the honest review. I will put it in my bookshelf
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An intriguing premise. Too bad the story started dragging in the middle and that it wasn't well edited. I love the genre, but I don't think the book is for me. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks gali. It's definitely an interesting concept, almost realistic.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like a really interesting concept. If the author takes your constructive criticism then she could make it even better. I love the idea of the library. It's really unfortunate that there wasn't enough information on the main character. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”