Official Review: Standing The Final Watch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Standing The Final Watch

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Standing The Final Watch" by William Alan Webb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

General Nick Angriff is a three-star general in command of a black ops team. The team has just finished a mission to kill a number of terrorist leaders when Nick receives news that his family has been murdered. He immediately hops a flight back home only to find that there is little evidence to go on. Terry Bettison is the special agent in charge of the investigation, but it doesn’t seem like he really wants to close this case. Only a few weeks after his family is killed, there is an attack on Nick himself. Once again Special Agent Bettison is not forthcoming with information about this attack.

In an effort to clear his head, Nick travels to Austria. While there he is summoned to meet with one of his commanders, a General Steeple. General Steeple tells him that the country is being run by our enemies. Everyone knows that it is a matter of time before the United States falls whether it be due to enemy infiltration or some type of natural disaster. Therefore, General Steeple has made plans to be able to resurrect the United States at the proper time. This plan is called Project Overtime.

Standing the Final Watch is a unique take on the end of the world scenario. While the world has not ended, the United States no longer exists. It was interesting to see how the author put his own spin on preparing for the end of what we have come to know as normal. I always enjoy seeing how other people picture the future. Due to the dystopian element, this book was classified as science fiction. I believe, however, that it would be more suited and enjoyed in the military thriller genre.

This book took me longer than usual to read. At only 244 pages, it’s not a long novel by any stretch of the imagination. I think the reason it took so long was because of the military nature of the wording and terminology. Here are a few sentences from the book as an example. “Field artillery is completely self-propelled, with two battalions of three batteries. Two of those batteries in each battalion are M109A6 Paladins, with the third being M270A1 MLRSs.”

I would also like to point out that this is book one in The Last Brigade series. As such, there is no nice, neat wrapping up of the plot. There are many questions left unanswered. Some will love this, as it will cause them to continue the series. However, I know many that do not enjoy endings like these, whether part of a series or not.

This novel was full of action, and there was hardly a dull moment. I enjoyed the author’s take on what happens when the United States falls apart. Therefore, I rate Standing the Final Watch a 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn’t give it a full 4 stars because of the tediousness of the military terminology in the novel as well as the cliff-hanger ending. I would recommend it to those that love a good military story but not necessarily to true science fiction fans.

Standing The Final Watch
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yetjust
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Yetjust »

I think this book is good but I am not more in action triller drama, and if not in the military this could be not call a science fiction well done reading it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks. It's definitely heavy on the military aspect. Interesting to read though.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The plot sounds interesting because of the fact that the United States no longer exists. They is definitely an interesting concept. I would become bored and confused by the terminology though.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Amagine. The terminology definitely gets a little intense. Some would enjoy it, but I know some wouldn't.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Thanks for the review. I don't like military based books so I am going to just pass this on.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Shreyoshi-if you don't like Military books, then this definitely isn't a book for you. Thanks for stopping by though!
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

So, at the end of the book the United States no longer exists. Has it broken up into individual states, or completely wiped off the map of the earth? It's good, though, that General Steeple has plans to resurrect the United States at the proper time. Hopefully, 'Project Overtime' will come to the rescue in the upcoming books.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Honestly, there aren't a lot of details about what has become of the United States exactly. There are mentions of Caliphates taking over the area, but that's about it. I have absolute faith that Project Overtime will be successful in future books :)
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I hate when a brief book takes me longer than I expect because I encounter foreign terminology that keeps me googling what they are. It seems like this is worth the read though. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”