Official Review: Sylvio: Past and Present by R. E. Beebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Sylvio: Past and Present by R. E. Beebe

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sylvio: Past and Present" by R. E. Beebe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sylvio: Past and Present tells the story of a vampire named Sylvio. The story is two-pronged and tells not only of present events but also how Sylvio came to be who he is. Rachel is the narrator of the story. She is one of a group of people that allow Sylvio to feed off of them in exchange for health, a place to live and an allowance.

Rachel was dying of bone cancer when she made a deal with a vampire. If she allowed Sylvio to feed off of her, his blood would in turn heal her. She agreed and moved into one of his houses with five others. It was then that she learned that she was a witch. She is still learning about her powers but has already used them to defeat demons in the past. The time may soon come when she’ll need to draw on those same powers again.

Sylvio started out like any other person. His father was a powerful man who became the King of the Vandals. However, his mother was a house slave. As he was part royalty, he was bound for a life of fighting which was better than being a slave. He was a strong fighter, but one of the battles became too much for him. He suffered a mortal blow. He was not meant to die, however, as a vampire brought him back from the brink of death. This vampire then made him his slave.

I was unsure about reading this book after perusing the summary and Amazon. I learned that it was the second in a series, and I always hate feeling like I’m missing something. However, after reading the book, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had no need of the first novel. The author, R. E. Beebe, has written the story so well, that there are no gaps whatsoever. I can guess at what the first novel was about, but she seamlessly integrates that into the back story of this novel. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it done quite so well.

I also enjoyed the fact that the author puts her own spin on vampires. There are a lot of similarities but enough differences to keep me intrigued. For example, Vampires in this story can walk around in daylight if the good in them outweighs the bad.

I will say that this book is not for the faint of heart. There is plenty of violence in this book from the vampires, the demons, the witches and even some werewolves. The scenes can be graphic at times. If that bothers you, I would recommend not reading this book. In the same light, the vampires have a lust for sex while they are feeding. There are no explicit sexual encounters, but there are sexual situations and language that would not be appropriate for some readers.

Overall, I would rate Sylvio: Past and Present a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed each moment of this novel. I loved learning more about what powers Rachel had as well as how a “good” vampire like Sylvio came to be. I am definitely putting the first book in this series on my to read list, and I hope that there are many more to come.

Sylvio: Past and Present
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I've tried to take a break from the whole vampire thing, because so many people have jumped on the bandwagon, but this sounds good. I like that you say that she puts her own spin on vampires and that the story is written really well. I'll give it a try. Great review!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like an interesting vampire tale. I like the fact that the author puts their own spin on vampires. A vampire that can walk in daylight if they're good enough, that's unique. I'm kind of tired of vampire books and shows but this one sounds like it might be a little different.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Excellent review. I love stories based on vampire's but only if they are well written
Loosely written plots are a big no for me. Though this one sounds interesting.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks everyone. Vampire stories are overdone right now. However, this one is unique and interesting. I would encourage people to check it out.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I find the review good and exhaustive, and it makes me feel almost like I've read the book. It's on my shelf, and I'll make it a reading priority. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Chrys. I think you'll enjoy it!
—Neil Gaiman
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sounds really different from all the other vampire stories out there, which is surprising. A great review!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Guppy. If you get a chance, give it a try!
—Neil Gaiman
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Great Review! I have read books like this for the past 10 years, and this one seems unique enough that it can stand out in the genre. I'm always looking for a new read so this will have to go on my list.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds very intriguing. I don't think I am faint of heart so I hope to read this one day. However, even though you said that there is no need to read the first book my mind is telling me that I should read the first before the second.
Great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I have no doubt that the first book would be good. If you enjoy vampires, this would definitely be a good one to read.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story with a new twist on vampires? Sounds intriguing. I also prefer to read series in order, so it is nice to know this one can be read on his own. I will definitely check it out. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I love it when authors take the traditionally accepted fantasy elements and adapt them to their own personal work. This one definitely seems like it has a lot of those fantasy aspects to it, and a lot going for it. Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A new twist of vampires with witches, demons, and werewolves? Wow, this sounds like a great book! I like how the author wrote this book in a way where the reader doesn't necessarily have to read the first one to understand what's going on. I don't mind some violence, especially in a vampire book, so I'll have to check this one out. Thank you for the great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”