Official Review: Dragon's Treasure by Maya Starling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Dragon's Treasure by Maya Starling

Post by Books_are_Life »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon's Treasure" by Maya Starling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon’s Treasure by Maya Starling

This story is a traditional fantasy with a young maiden, prince, and a dragon but reversed. I say that because in this the dragon is the good guy and the prince is the bad guy. Normally those roles are flipped around. This book revolves around different themes of love. This book shows different loves not often accepted in society. Like love between a woman and a dragon or the love between a man and another man. There is also a big part about how men in power treat prostitutes or women in general.

A young upper class girl, Olivia, runs away from home. She is running because of an argument that she had at home. Her kind parents have forced an arrange marriage on her which she disapproves of. She views this man that she is meant to marry as an older brother and that her freedom that she values in her life is ripped away from her. She has all these thoughts rolling around in her head and then she gets attack by wolves. In her panic she runs into this cave with a fire burning. While the wolves get scared away she faces a bigger threat now. This cave is the Dragon’s home. It takes a bit but Olivia gets over her fear and shock and becomes friends with this gentle dragon. The dragon, Kadan, is a man who was cursed to be a dragon a long time ago because he is the cause of a death to a witch’s beloved one. He does not tell Olivia his secret but he seeks her companionship desperately. Through laughter and knowing each other more their friendship develops into so much more. The prince of the land is traveling with his knights to slay Kadan. When the three cross paths anything can happen.

At first the characters are very unlikable. Olivia is very bratty and Kaden is a lot like a teenage boy. However, once you get past that point they get more likeable. It is a beautiful story but it felt sort of like a retelling of Beauty and the Beast with a dragon as the beast. I’m not sure if it was internal or not but it happened. The prince is an amazing villain I was scared of him. The one thing about these characters was that they are a little bit one dimensional. Olivia is the pure maiden, the prince is one insane villain, and Kaden has the most going on.

I rate this book to be 4 out of 4 stars. I absolutely love this book I could not put it down until I was done. The writing is superb and I look forward to reading other books by this author. This book is not for everyone as I felt the sexual content to be thrown in there at times and did nothing for the story so I skimmed those parts.

If you love dragons and love a good romance novel you will love this book. I highly recommend reading this book. Words of warning there is explicate details of rape so if you are sensitive to that please look elsewhere for a book.

Dragon's Treasure
View: on Bookshelves

Like Books_are_Life's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds very interesting. I love that the dragon is the good guy. This is one I might have to look into. It sounds quite fun!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like this book because not only does it breaks stereotypes with the Prince being the bad guy, but it shows types of love (man and man) that you don't see too often in fiction.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. I commend the author for writing about such kinds of love. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Maya Starling on such high rating.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:

Post by Books_are_Life »

Thank you everyone who has read my review. Especially the commenters. :)
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I think it looks very much like the old fairy-tales, where a prince is turned int an animal and the love of a compassionate maiden reverts him back to human. I have to see where this adds a unique tone and twist, if any.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:

Post by Books_are_Life »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:I think it looks very much like the old fairy-tales, where a prince is turned int an animal and the love of a compassionate maiden reverts him back to human. I have to see where this adds a unique tone and twist, if any.
It does have a twist

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”