Official Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora&...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Official Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora&...

Post by Dh_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes" by James M. Corkill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill is the fifth book in the Alex Cave series. It is a science-fiction book full of danger and adventure, focusing on a team of people working together to save the world. It is in the third person, but the main protagonist is Alex Cave. Alex initially wanted to lead a calm life as a geology teacher, but that was not how it turned out. In this suspenseful and exciting story, Alex and his partner-in-crime, Okana, live their lives one top-secret mission at a time.

The book starts out by revealing that Alex and his team have a new problem on their hands in need of solving. Previously, Alex had found four alien machines that have the ability to destroy the planet if they are in the wrong hands. He thought the machines were safely stored away, but soon discovers that they are all missing, including one that is in orbit. With the devices causing strange and extreme weather patterns, Alex and Okana set out to locate and stop them. With the help of their friends in research facilities and research ships, the pair begin their work immediately.

Soon after, Alex and Okana stumble into an unusual, large object while in Iceland. They discover that it is an alien spaceship containing an entire colony of people. They can communicate through earpieces with the leader and the ship’s artificial intelligence, and quickly learn that the ship has been hidden away for the past 180 million years, waiting for the Earth to become habitable. Unfortunately, the aliens do not come in peace. They value rare eye colors and do not tolerate brown eyes, so the artificial intelligence is appalled when it learns that 95% of Earth’s population has brown eyes. The ship allows a woman, Pandora, to leave and represent her in order to negotiate with Earth’s leaders. Strangely, Pandora’s eyes look different to Alex than they do to everyone else, but no one pays much attention to that. Pandora’s job is to explain to the humans that they must kill everyone with brown eyes, or else the ship will destroy the entire species. Alex, Okana, and their friends are on a mission to save the world, but it becomes more difficult when they find out that the ship already set its plan into action. Alex was unknowingly infected with an alien disease that is transferred from person to person through skin contact and is fatal to anyone with brown eyes. Now Alex has three tasks: find the alien devices, stop the ship’s artificial intelligence from destroying the planet, and find a cure to the disease that he accidentally started to spread.

As a science-fiction fan, I absolutely loved this book. It has the right amount of surprises and suspense and the characters were developed very well. The plot kept me hooked from beginning to end because, just when I thought the problem was solved, something completely unexpected happened. I must compliment the author on the way that he was able to include and keep track of so many different characters throughout the entire story. There were many characters and, most of the time, they were in different parts of the planet. I think he did an excellent job of organizing them and maintaining their roles. I really enjoyed the feeling of being on edge and needing to know what would happen next. The book kept me interested and did not have any dull, action-less moments.

One of the few things that I didn’t like was that it jumped directly into the story. I did not read the first four books in the series, so I had no idea who the characters were or what their purpose in the story was. That confused me for a bit until I was able to organize them in my head and understand who they all were. This only means that it would be a better idea to read the whole series rather than just one book. The other thing I didn’t quite like was that they are constantly switching locations. The characters, especially Alex Cave, are always on a jet, helicopter, or ship trying to get to another location. I understand that it was necessary to do that because they need to travel a lot to succeed in the mission, but it was a little confusing. Aside from those small problems, I have no complaints.

Since I loved the story and there were few grammar mistakes, I decided to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. At first, I was amazed to find that the grammar was perfect, but near the end, there were a few mistakes. The mistakes were not common and do not appear until the last few chapters, so I’m not going to take off a star for it. I think this book has everything a great science-fiction book needs and will appeal to fiction fans. It is definitely a great read, but I recommend reading the whole series for a better understanding.

The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Dh_'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really good book. It seems like I would need to start with the first one, though. Thanks for the review. I'll have to look into these.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book definitely sounds like a science fiction fan's dream! There's alien machines, alien diseases, a ship with artificial intelligence that is trying to destroy the world...goodness! It sounds like a great action packed plot!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

With a book series, the author normally recaps the prior events briefly in the follow-up books to enable a reader who starts with any of the books to catch up. Hopefully, the writer will adopt this method next time around. I'm not a fan of Sci-fi, but this one looks interesting. A thorough and interesting review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow...My family is all brown eyes so if this was true we would have been in grave danger...the story-line sounds awesome. Love the way you organized your review...I also agree that a series should be read from the first book onward.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Thank you! I'm trying really hard to improve the quality of my reviews. Your comments are incredibly motivating ?.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. It seems, though, that it is not a standalone and must be read in proper order. Good job on the review. Congratulations to James M. Corkill on such high rating.
Thafheema Zaroony
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thafheema-zaroony.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thafheema Zaroony »

Pandora's Eye is the 5th installment of The Alex Cave series. It is science-fiction that focuses on a team of people working together to save the world. The whole storyline for me seems very interesting and exciting. I think I have to start with the 1st book in the series to enjoy the whole story. And the coverage is just fabulous. Thanks for an insightful review.
Congrats on BOTD.
Shubham Shah
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shubham-shah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Shubham Shah »

The fantasy about aliens and spaceships and saving the planet does not appeal to me much but I do want to know what is different in Pandora's eyes that only Alex can see. War due to eye color is seen nowhere; unique notion. Thanks for the review.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

As a sci-fi fan, I find this book very interesting. But I guess I need to start from the first book as you mentioned. I think I should keep this book for later read as my schedule right now are very tight.
Thank you for the review ☺️
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

As I haven't read the other 4 books in the series, I would not start reading this one first. The story, however, sounds like a exhilarating one.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Since you mentioned that I would have to read the first four books in order to understand this one, I'm not keen on picking it up. Though I would have liked to know why the aliens do not like people with brown eyes.
Great job on the review!
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The book has a suspenseful and exciting story. It is a science-fiction book full of danger and adventure, focusing on a team of people working together to save the world. The review is great too.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Your review had me on edge especially the summary, so I can't imagine what the whole book will do to me haha. I loved your review and I sure would like to read the entire book, though the idea of starting from book one all the way to book five seems tedious to me.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Alien machines missing? This sounds like a disaster and could potentially be dangerous if found in the wrong hands. The book sounds like a great series for fans of science fiction - fast-paced and suspenseful. Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”