Official Review: "The Shadow of Olympus"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: "The Shadow of Olympus"

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""The Shadow of Olympus"" by Emmett M. Smith (E.M. Smith).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shadows of Olympus is a science fiction novel and the first book in the Lowellsville Chronicle written by E. M. Smith.

The year is 2048. Shortly after finding a fossil of an aquatic arthropod, Chief Biologist Sophia Sandra Collins of Lowellsville, NASA’s colony on Mars, together with her boyfriend Chief Geologist Michael Edwards, goes against Chief Hydrologist William Bluff and discovers an underground base inhabited by non-human intelligent species. Meanwhile, a war is brewing on Earth. People’s Republic of China attacks a fleet of United States of North America warships in the Taiwan Straits and People’s Republic of North Korea bombs the capital of South Korea.

This is a very interesting science fiction novel and the first book I read about a NASA colony on Mars. The author successfully describes the surface of the red planet specifically mentioning Olympus Mons, the largest volcanic mountain on Mars and in the entire solar system. Also featured in the story is Phobos, the larger of the two moons of Mars. The author gives a vivid description of the possible way of life on Mars both inside and outside the base. With a few colonists in the community, the author expertly creates an event that becomes the main focus of the book. It just shows that despite the uncertainties of life, there is always a reason to celebrate.

However, though the book starts with a fast pacing in the first few chapters the rest feel like dragging. Also, though the story is undoubtedly interesting, I find too many repetitions and redundancies not only in the narration but also in the use of specific words like ‘afterward.’ I also notice several details that l find irrelevant to the story and though I expect a cliffhanger ending, the book still feels a bit incomplete in the end. Moreover, I find the descriptions of the beauty and allure of the gorgeous chief biologist a little bit overdone and repetitive while the men’s expressions of admiration to her is almost perverted.

Furthermore, too detailed descriptions and some too formal dialogues between friends make the story sound unnatural. In addition, dialogues supposed to be accented (like those of Pam from South Carolina) are extremely difficult to read (‘Ah do de-clayuh thih-yus could become as excitin’ as mah stint in I-ray-un durin’ the big wah’) and at the some point frustrating. Finally, I notice several errors within the entire book which include typo errors, misspelled words (like tollerate) and absence of quotation marks.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is enjoyable and interesting and the author proves himself to be very creative and imaginative. Though I’m not particularly elated with the ending, I find it necessary for a book series such as this. I recommend it to fans of science fiction especially those who enjoy space adventures. Reference to sexual activities and unconventional sexual practice, however, may not be suitable for young readers. Be advised as well that compared with other books, the characters in this story are far too many which can be confusing for some readers.

"The Shadow of Olympus"
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Well I don't think this one sounds like a book I'll be adding to my 'to read' list any time soon. The slow pacing, hard to decipher accented dialogue and the editorial issues are definitely a bit off putting to me. Thanks for the insightful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an interesting premise. I do dislike when the dialogue is so stiff and formal. Still, I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of it! Thanks for introducing this one to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MarisaRose wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 06:53 Well I don't think this one sounds like a book I'll be adding to my 'to read' list any time soon. The slow pacing, hard to decipher accented dialogue and the editorial issues are definitely a bit off putting to me. Thanks for the insightful review!
Thank you. Some science fiction ultimate fans may enjoy this one.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 08:25 It sounds like an interesting premise. I do dislike when the dialogue is so stiff and formal. Still, I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of it! Thanks for introducing this one to us.
Thank you. Yes, some parts are quite enjoyable.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Interesting story and good review. I'm attracted at this book and would like my imagination to be stretch to the year of 2048.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
shelidizel
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelidizel.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by shelidizel »

This was one hell of a read....
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, that's big! The review is interesting and worth taking a note at. Amidst of war and alien specie it does sound sci-fic to me.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

hmmm, I am a bit interested on this book. I wonder about Mars the planet as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here. You gave me an idea.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The book is set just thirty years from now. Will the author's story prove prophetic? What if there were really life on Mars, and unfriendly at that? The wars mentioned may well come to pass. With wars and aliens, we would be living in desperate times. Scary!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”