Official Review: The Thousand Years War by Angel Medina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Official Review: The Thousand Years War by Angel Medina

Post by Sarah G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thousand Years War" by Angel Medina.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a virtual world was created where anything that happened, would affect our world. Bring down a building in one world and you can bring down a building in the other. Then imagine aliens are using this to help conquer our world. Who will be able to stop them?

In volume one, The Thousand Years War, by Angel Medina the challenge has been set for Angel, Dayvon, Maria and Luis. With the help of the Elder God, they must traverse this new world in search of antimatter, which can be used to undo the damage. But there’s a catch; they’ve only got 10 days to do it, and they are not alone on this world. The aliens have an army of mutated soldiers ranging from salamander troops to owl commanders. This journey will take them from New York City to the Arctic Circle and even to the Himalayas. Let the journey begin.

I had high hopes for this book; especially with such a different take on a Sci-Fi story. Unfortunately, the writing really let it down. I don’t believe this book was actually ready for review as there are major editing issues. The book is littered with misspelled words, grammatical errors, changes in tense part way through a sentence and even sentences that don’t make sense. At times I found this a difficult read. A major issue was the dialogue. It was very difficult to follow who said what as all speech is in one paragraph and some speech was even missing speech marks.

The writing style of the book was very unique and I did enjoy some aspects. It was written a little like a comic book with an intro to the chapter and a summary at the end. However, I did find this did lead to lazy writing. Instead of introducing the characters through action and speech, we had a paragraph describing them, which felt more like a screen play intro than a book. If they were described more naturally I think the reader will assimilate the characters better. This screenplay vibe leads to over explanation of details also. The reader does not need to be given all the information at once, it would work better if they find things out through the telling of the story. This style of writing lead to too many summaries. An event would be introduced, then straight after it there would be a summary of what you had just read. The repetition did get annoying. It would have worked better with an introduction at the beginning of each chapter, followed by summary at the end of each chapter rather than multiple summaries within one.

One thing that could be added to really give thrill to the story would be a sense of jeopardy. The heroes in the book encounter monster after monster which they always ‘take out easily’. If there was more of a struggle I would feel more invested in the story, however I found myself feeling ‘not this again’ through their encounters as there was no difficult obstacle for them to overcome and I knew they would always succeed.

Overall I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There is a lot of major editing work that needs to be done. I would not recommend this book in its current state. This is the Angel Medina’s first book so I believe a lot can be learnt and it can be further improved. I think there is potential here and with a bit of work this could lead to a really unique take on a Sci-Fi story.

The Thousand Years War
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sarah G's review? Post a comment saying so!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The worst thing is when you get excited to review a book because it seems interesting but it turns out to be a disappointment. Hopefully, the book will get properly edited. It sounds like it has potential. Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

Thanks Amagine :). Yeh I think with proper editing it could be a real winner :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it is definitely a good concept. I love the thought of a virtual word that influences what actually happens in the real world. However, it is not something I would read as it sounds like it fell far flat of what was expected. Thanks though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

I thought the concept was quite unique. Exactly what drew me to the book. It's nice to see a different take on a story every now and then :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise is quite interesting. Too bad, though, about the issues especially the errors. Good job on the review.
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise is quite interesting. Too bad, though, about the issues especially the errors. Good job on the review.
Thank you :). Sometimes I feel bad but it is better to be honest. At least then things improve and progress

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”