Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Thousand Years War by Angel Medina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Thousand Years War by Angel Medina

Post Number:#1 by Sarah G
» 14 Apr 2017, 04:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thousand Years War" by Angel Medina.]

Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Review by Sarah G
Share This Review

Imagine a virtual world was created where anything that happened, would affect our world. Bring down a building in one world and you can bring down a building in the other. Then imagine aliens are using this to help conquer our world. Who will be able to stop them?

In volume one, The Thousand Years War, by Angel Medina the challenge has been set for Angel, Dayvon, Maria and Luis. With the help of the Elder God, they must traverse this new world in search of antimatter, which can be used to undo the damage. But there’s a catch; they’ve only got 10 days to do it, and they are not alone on this world. The aliens have an army of mutated soldiers ranging from salamander troops to owl commanders. This journey will take them from New York City to the Arctic Circle and even to the Himalayas. Let the journey begin.

I had high hopes for this book; especially with such a different take on a Sci-Fi story. Unfortunately, the writing really let it down. I don’t believe this book was actually ready for review as there are major editing issues. The book is littered with misspelled words, grammatical errors, changes in tense part way through a sentence and even sentences that don’t make sense. At times I found this a difficult read. A major issue was the dialogue. It was very difficult to follow who said what as all speech is in one paragraph and some speech was even missing speech marks.

The writing style of the book was very unique and I did enjoy some aspects. It was written a little like a comic book with an intro to the chapter and a summary at the end. However, I did find this did lead to lazy writing. Instead of introducing the characters through action and speech, we had a paragraph describing them, which felt more like a screen play intro than a book. If they were described more naturally I think the reader will assimilate the characters better. This screenplay vibe leads to over explanation of details also. The reader does not need to be given all the information at once, it would work better if they find things out through the telling of the story. This style of writing lead to too many summaries. An event would be introduced, then straight after it there would be a summary of what you had just read. The repetition did get annoying. It would have worked better with an introduction at the beginning of each chapter, followed by summary at the end of each chapter rather than multiple summaries within one.

One thing that could be added to really give thrill to the story would be a sense of jeopardy. The heroes in the book encounter monster after monster which they always ‘take out easily’. If there was more of a struggle I would feel more invested in the story, however I found myself feeling ‘not this again’ through their encounters as there was no difficult obstacle for them to overcome and I knew they would always succeed.

Overall I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There is a lot of major editing work that needs to be done. I would not recommend this book in its current state. This is the Angel Medina’s first book so I believe a lot can be learnt and it can be further improved. I think there is potential here and with a bit of work this could lead to a really unique take on a Sci-Fi story.

The Thousand Years War
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sarah G's review? Post a comment saying so!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah G

Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Thousand Years War by Angel Medina

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 18 Apr 2017, 22:37

The worst thing is when you get excited to review a book because it seems interesting but it turns out to be a disappointment. Hopefully, the book will get properly edited. It sounds like it has potential. Great Review!🌼
"You have to write the book that wants to be written. If the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children." -Madeleine L'Engle
Amagine's Latest Review: "Choose Again!" by Sherry D Ransom
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Boys Adventure Through The Wild West
Bookshelf Size: 576 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#3 by Sarah G
» 19 Apr 2017, 02:44

Thanks Amagine :). Yeh I think with proper editing it could be a real winner :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah G

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 19 Apr 2017, 09:28

Well it is definitely a good concept. I love the thought of a virtual word that influences what actually happens in the real world. However, it is not something I would read as it sounds like it fell far flat of what was expected. Thanks though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#5 by Sarah G
» 19 Apr 2017, 11:41

I thought the concept was quite unique. Exactly what drew me to the book. It's nice to see a different take on a story every now and then :)
Sarah G

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by kimmyschemy06
» 21 Apr 2017, 09:34

That was a very honest review. The premise is quite interesting. Too bad, though, about the issues especially the errors. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Deep Well of Time
Bookshelf Size: 313 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#7 by Sarah G
» 21 Apr 2017, 11:29

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise is quite interesting. Too bad, though, about the issues especially the errors. Good job on the review.

Thank you :). Sometimes I feel bad but it is better to be honest. At least then things improve and progress
Sarah G

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page