Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Adama by Alvin Berger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Adama by Alvin Berger

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 17 Mar 2017, 12:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adama" by Alvin Berger.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Adama by Alvin Berger is a sci-fi thriller with a touch of romance. While attending a meeting in New York City, Matt, a former member of a top secret government agency turned dentist, unexpectedly meets Mallory, a beautiful woman with an interesting job. Matt chooses to tag along with Mallory to Israel where she must investigate a very unique piece of technology, though Matt may have ulterior motives in the matter. The story focuses on the powerful computer, Adama. Integrated into the computer's hard wiring is human DNA. This new technological fabrication makes Adama’s abilities unlike those of any machine ever known to man.

Adama is a relatively short read as the book is only about 170 pages. The narrative moves along quickly as the main characters find themselves in one compromising situation after another. The parts of the story set in Israel were the most enjoyable; the author sets the scene for ample suspense throughout these scenes. Coinciding with the fast pace of the novel, the time spent describing Adama and the computer's evolution into a potentially sentient being are kept short and are not overloaded with technical jargon or lengthy explanations. However, many times, the lack of scientific explanation resulted in aspects of the plot seeming unrealistic. Similarly, the characters easily escaped many dire situations and the explanations for their ability to elude such situations felt rushed and impractical, taking away from the excitement of the book.

The most disappointing parts of Adama were the poorly developed characters. All main characters felt shallow and lacked any chemistry during their interactions. The lack of any real development made the characters fall flat; they were all hard to relate to and none felt compelling. Additionally, the dialogue throughout the story was noticeably stilted and unnatural; many times the dialogue appeared to be used as a way of conveying a large amount of information instead of a way to advance character development or plot.

Unfortunately, Adama could use another round of editing. Though the errors noted where not rampant, they were plentiful enough to detract from the overall reading experience. Editorial errors included the use of incorrect words such as “inpatient” when “impatient” is meant, “qualities” when “qualifies” is meant. The author even uses the term “boson buddies” when the actual terminology is “bosom buddies.” Further, there were some missing words and improper punctuation used at times.

The inspiration behind Adama deserves some merit; technology is ever changing and the idea of DNA infused computers is fascinating. However, the execution of the narrative and the poor character development has led me to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. If the character interactions were more realistic and enjoyable, I would have considered a higher score. Those who enjoy sci-fi books set in present day and focusing on technology may find this book worthwhile.

Adama
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "A Handful of Destiny" by Tony Nash
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 156%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Adama by Alvin Berger

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 18 Mar 2017, 18:08

It seems you have to be really good to write a successful story of this length. Too bad this isn't one of them. Thanks for the review though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#3 by hsimone
» 19 Mar 2017, 10:29

It's good to hear that you enjoyed some parts of the book (i.e. the suspenseful Israel scenes), however, I'm sorry to hear how the characters were so flat. I have a difficult time in enjoying a read that I feel the characters do not grow in any way and are not relatable. Also, too bad about the amount of errors present here. I appreciate your honesty. Thank you for the informative review!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 372 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#4 by Acwoolet
» 20 Mar 2017, 14:56

Sorry to hear that the story fell so flat. The premise definitely sounds interesting. Thanks for the great review!
Acwoolet's Latest Review: "Sense of Touch" by Rozsa Gaston
Acwoolet

Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by kimmyschemy06
» 21 Apr 2017, 09:50

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the problems especially the character development and the errors. Great job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Deep Well of Time
Bookshelf Size: 313 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#6 by KaylaA
» 24 Apr 2017, 23:03

Thank you for your great review! Flat characters will quickly turn me away from the book and I do not enjoy short reads. Seems like a good premise though. If it was not for the lack of characterization, this would be a book that I would be interested in.
KaylaA's Latest Review: "Something" by Shelby Lamb
KaylaA

Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 50%