Official Review: Kaze by L.W

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Kaze by L.W

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kaze" by L.W.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Kaze: Awakening by Leon Wong, we are introduced to Jaden a seemingly normal teenager. He and his best friend Ethan live in Half Moon Bay, Oregon and attend the local high school. On the eve of his eighteenth birthday, Jaden starts experiencing heightened senses. He sees colors more vibrantly, and he hears sounds from farther away. Jaden learns that he is a spirit being from the Moon World, but he is unusual even in the spiritual realm. He is both a human being and a spiritual being. He must now embrace the powers and abilities that come with his unusual heritage. These newfound abilities will lead him on an adventurous journey full of delight and self-discovery.

There were several great aspects of this book, but what I enjoyed most were the inventive elements of fantasy that the author used. In fantasy novels, many times you see the same features over and over; dragons, knights, and princes and princesses. Mr. Wong draws on his Japanese heritage sending the reader to several different spiritual realms such as the Moon Realm and the Sun Realm. While there is an empress of the Moon Realm and Guardians or Knights of the Moon Realm, there is also something called a balancer. This being has elements of both light and dark (Yin and Yang) and must make sure all the realms stay in balance. I appreciate that the author has incorporated these myths from his heritage seamlessly into a story that was enjoyable as well as unique in the world of fantasy.

I also thought that Mr. Wong did a great job in the pacing of this story. The story grips you from the beginning and does not let up until the ending. While the book is never dull or boring, it picks up momentum as it goes. This lets the reader get more and more involved with the book, and at the apex, I was not able to stop reading. The ending leaves room for more stories in this series, however I still felt that it came to a satisfying resolution not leaving the reader hanging. If you are one who doesn’t like books in a series, you could arguably stop at the first book and still feel you read a complete story. I believe, though, that anyone who reads this story will be curious about what will happen next.

I was also pleased with the editing in this book in regards to not only the grammar but the formatting as well. The book was easy to read and included a little bit different font when Jaden went to a different realm to help the reader differentiate between the two. There were a few mistakes, but they were so negligible that they really aren’t worth mentioning. I would like to applaud the editor for a job well done.

The only thing that could possibly be construed as negative as far as this novel goes would be the length. Coming in at only 177 written pages, some might think this book is too short, however it did not feel short to me. I did not feel that the author rushed any part of the story nor left anything out. In fact, I enjoyed the length of the story as sometimes I want something that isn’t going to take me months to finish.

Kaze was a light and easy read with just the right amount of depth and mystery to keep me coming back for more. As such, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I would easily recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy, whether a young adult or an older senior as both would find this equally enjoyable.

Kaze
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! It sounds this fantasy is very unique and creative - no dragons and knights. :) Glad you enjoyed the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie! It was unique and enjoyable. Definitely worth reading.
—Neil Gaiman
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

What a wonderful review!
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Ripley! Thanks for stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds really fun. I have read a lot of manga - Japanese comics and I notice that the Japanese are really gifted storytellers because they incorporate the myths of their culture really well into fictional stories.
I'm glad you enjoyed this. After reading your review, I want to read this too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”