Official Review: A Kingdom Forgotten

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Re: Official Review: A Kingdom Forgotten

Post by versatileer »

I like A Kingdom Forgotten because it appears to be a nice book on living in a difference of times and touching on Armageddon. This should make for some great spring reading.
Starion
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starion.html

Post by Starion »

A basic theme of good and evil is conspicuously absent. Characters are not easily defined as “bad” or “good.” Most are merely acting in their own interests, regardless of how this may help or hurt others. Additional themes include second chances, search for personal identity, and enduring relationships. Main characters are developed adequately for the scope and size of the novel, while other characters are somewhat more veiled in mystery. More than one character goes through a transformation. I enjoyed the overall plot and felt the characters were very realistic, especially considering the fantasy/sci-fi genre; however, I was not entirely comfortable with some of the parallels to various Scripture passages.

Finally, it is difficult to describe the pace of the book. I am tempted to say that the pace was slow, since it took me so long to understand the storyline. However, each individual section was paced nicely and so well-written, that to say the pace is slow would do the book a severe injustice. Additionally, once the individual story threads begin to converge in a coherent manner, the pace is action-packed.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I definitely have a mixed range of opinions about A Kingdom Forgotten. The plot itself is near genius. The way the author kept track of all the characters, worlds and time periods is incredible. I would give it the full 4 stars, except that it was so difficult to grasp for the first section of the book. I would not recommend this book to a young audience, due to some sultry scenes and the overall complexity.

Nilu arya
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nilu-arya.html

Post by Nilu arya »

A complicated and intense story needs patience .love to read light books

-- 12 Mar 2017, 04:11 --
Nilu arya wrote:A complicated and intense story needs patience .love to read light books
-- 12 Mar 2017, 04:12 --

A complicated and intense story needs patience .love to read light books
Michelle Pillay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-pillay.html

Post by Michelle Pillay »

Great review! Sounds complicated and interesting with lots of twists and turns.
GLAMOUR

Post by GLAMOUR »

Hmmmm!!! NICE ONE
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: A basic theme of good and evil is conspicuously absent. Characters are not easily defined as “bad” or “good.”
That is odd, but interesting.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sapnamaldikar

Post by Sapnamaldikar »

It's an interesting book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think that an engaging storyteller can often draw me into a story that I'm otherwise not interested in. It sounds like this was a factor in this story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bonto

Post by bonto »

at first i thought i was a little sleepy while reading the book but when i revisited the book i was just nodding my head understanding the plot.I think when i reread the book i understood it completely i'll just give it 3 out of 4 stars
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Thanks for the review; sounds like a fantastic book.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Claire_Lopez wrote:I feel like there's sometimes such a fine line between keeping the reader guessing and just confusing them completely! It sounds like this book might fall to the latter. Though if the plot is as good as you say, it might be worth battling through the confusion.
The plot was quite unique, the characters are drawn and developed nicely, so I do feel the story is worth it :)

-- 15 Mar 2017, 12:11 --
anamcara wrote:Wow! The sample I've read...not even sure where to classify it! Fantasy? Check. Science Fiction? Check. Thriller? Check again. This story sounds so insanely deep, complex and intriguing that I can't wait to get my hands on it to read!
Yes, it is very difficult to classify this. I thought the author overall did a very nice job, but it would probably take me a second read to really understand what was going on in the first part :lol: Not sure I'll take the time to do that, but I was glad to be able to say that I read it! Thanks for your very nice comments.

-- 15 Mar 2017, 12:12 --
abhishek7081 wrote:When I started this book, I seriously questioned what I got myself into. I was so very, very confused. There were so many time jumps from place to place and character to character that I never thought that my head would stop spinning. I almost decided not to finish this book. But, I stayed with it. And I am so incredibly glad that I did.

McDonald does rely on a lot of point of view and time changes. However, this book would not be as well-written or as gripping if he had chosen to write it any other way. The time changes that once confused me soon became little bits of excitement as I watched the story move around and character lines connect. It was amazing to watch all of the characters interact as they befriended, loved, and betrayed each other.

McDonald presents his audience with a plethora of characters. Of these, my favorite was Damon. His personality swings between troubled and just sheer trouble. Damon definitely enjoys his power and shows it through his arrogance. I loved seeing what that huge mind of his would think up next! Radin on the other hand, I found rather whiny and annoying. I really liked him at the beginning of the novel, but as his powers progressed, he changed. And, I did not like the changes that occurred.

Despite the parts of this book that I absolutely loved, it was a bit complex in the beginning. I would have preferred for that to gain a little bit more complexity as the book developed. I would have also appreciated more character development. While I felt that Radin and Damon were very well-developed, I would have loved to learn more about Eldrac, Talemar, and Evanyil. Evanyil is mentioned so many times, but she is never fully explained enough for the audience to be as awed by her as the characters seem to be.

Overall, I truly enjoyed reading this book.
I agree with everything you said here!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Evenami
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evenami.html

Post by Evenami »

It's interesting but complicated and it took me long to understand it.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

The title itself looks like interesting but the review shows that sometimes the storyline is quite confusing. I would probably read this if I were given some time.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
[CA]
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ca.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by [CA] »

The narrative style reminds me of the last book I read, (Ways to) Lucena by Mois Benarroch. Before reading (Ways to) Lucena I had never encountered a storytelling framework like it. And then I saw your review and it seems that at least one other book employs a similar method. Like you, I was also lost for a good chunk of the story. I found it very frustrating. I did not understand why the author chose to write the book in that way. By the final third I started to enjoy the book. I'm glad I read it in the end. Exposure to new ways of doing things is something to strive for.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
wroteyou

Post by wroteyou »

Really good review, but I'm inclined to agree it does sound a bit complicated--is that the case?

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”