Official Review: The Gemstone Chronicles Book One: The Ca...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: The Gemstone Chronicles Book One: The Ca...

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gemstone Chronicles Book One: The Carnelian" by William L Stuart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gemstones Chronicle Book 1: The Carnelian by William L. Stuart is a book in the fantasy genre, catering to tween and teenage readers.

Aidan and Maggie, nearly fourteen and ten, were enjoying a splendid vacation with their grandparents, Nana and Beebop, when a routine rock hunting trip brings an unexpected surprise. The kids pick up an unusual-looking fairy cross, and out of idle curiosity, Beebop, their grandfather, pockets it for research later. However, once they reach home, an elf trapped inside the stone changes the situation, and the elders decide to get rid of it. The children, though, moved with sympathy break the stone and set the elf free.

Findecano, the Light elf the children set free, tells them about his imprisonment in the stone for two hundred years. The world has changed since he was last in Celahir, the parallel magical realm. Now the balance has shifted in favor of Dark Elves, who stole the powerful gemstones from the Elven Bow of the Light Elves. Findecano is eager to start his quest to retrieve the gemstones and bids his rescuers goodbye, but fate has something else in store. The elf’s escape brings on an attack by the Dark Elves, and forces Beebop and his family to flee to Celahir with Findecano. Will they aid Findecano’s mission and restore balance to the magical world?

Elves, trolls, orcs, and other magical creatures are nothing new in the fantasy genre; therefore to come up with a new permutation and combination is quite a challenge for an author. This book has the familiar elements: a magical world entered through a hidden gateway, wrestling for control over powerful magical objects, or how the realm of magic was gradually relegated to myths, in this book, mostly Irish folklore. However, the author blends in these plot points imaginatively to weave an engrossing tale for its young readers.

The characterization is slightly convenient, for instance Beebop is an amateur rock hound and ex-Navy, while Aidan has expertise in Kung Fu, both of which prove extremely useful in their search for the gemstones and fighting against their enemies. Apart from a sense of responsibility as the eldest of the family, Beebop also possesses am innovative streak, which gets them out of tense situations. Nana’s practicality, Aidan’s fondness for adventure and Maggie’s childish curiosity, are a few other noticeable character traits. However, character development is still a work-under-progress, which is fine since this book is the first installment in the series.

The good part is that the narrative is fast paced, and packed with action scenes and plot twists. On the downside, there is an overall sense of predictability where the readers can sense where the story is going. Still, the novel managed to hold my interest till the end, and hopefully, there is lot’s left to uncover in coming sequels, to keep the readers hooked. I rate this one 3 out of 4 stars, as the series’ target audience, i.e. children, will definitely enjoy this one.

The Gemstone Chronicles Book One: The Carnelian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a fairly interesting book. It's good that it's fast-paced as it is hard to hold the attention of kids that age. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you :)
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a pretty decent read for the younger set. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Sounds like an interesting read for younger audience. Nice review :)
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you!
Phermone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phermone.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Phermone »

hmm...I very much think I could enjoy this book as I rather adore fantasy but since the main characters seem to be two youngish children it puts me off. I am also ignoring the fact that the grandparents are also part of the cast but thinking it over this just might be me being selfish. The review did clearly state the book is aimed at that age group so what did I expect. Well, we will see I mean it is the 1st book so who knows what age they will end up at. Thanks for the informative review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Writing for children is quite a hard task. You have to teach them that good people always come as the final victors, over the bad people, giving them a moral. Also, you have to understand them better to cater to their needs, and keeping their attention in the book is also very tough. You can't let the narration be too slow paced, cause that'll be a sure way to lose their interest. Considering all these I feel the author has succeeded in writing a suitable book for children.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Magical creatures may be used in a lot of stories, but for me they never get old. Every author always does something new with these characters within their fantasy world. It sounds like this book would be a fun read. I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the great review.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

This sounds quite interesting. although it has many qualities of known stories maybe something will set this aside to make it standout for me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”