Official Review: Shadows of Men by M. Lee Holmes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Official Review: Shadows of Men by M. Lee Holmes

Post by Insomniac07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows of Men" by M. Lee Holmes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadows of Men by M. Lee Holmes is an adult fantasy novel following the life of multiple characters. The story starts with Viktor Felson, 'High Protector' to the king, who has to perform a horrid ritual to choose his successor. Unfortunately, not all goes to plan, and now he has to face an uncomfortable choice.

The actual plot of the book begins a few hundred years later. Kaena is a land recovering from a recent civil war. King Firion and his High Protector, Rhada, are the two most hated people in the realm; the king for being a tyrant and Rhada for being his executioner. However, when Myranda, the court sorceress has a vision of the city of Tyos flooded with the blood of its innocent citizens, and a wall of flame swallowing the Blood Sea entirely, Rhada is forced to leave the capital city of Axendra to investigate the truth of the sorceress’s visions. She chooses the Captain of the King’s army and her loyal friend, Mayvard Stonewall, to accompany her on this trip. There a few more subplots included, such as a brewing second rebellion, people scheming to seize the throne for themselves, etc.

The novel was engaging until the very end. There was a constant sense of movement to the storyline. The tale never stagnated or got repetitive. Interesting character motivation propels the plot forward. Everyone's actions have a visible impact on the story. All the characters are well fleshed out. They are also deeply flawed people. Most characters in this book are neither purely good nor evil. They all do despicable things that make it hard to root for anyone in particular.

However, Rhada, unlike others does have a few redeeming qualities. She has a quick temper and can be quite ferocious when angry. She comes across as cold-hearted and aloof. In her past, due to her position as 'High Protector' to the King, she caused a massacre while following the King’s orders. She was never very loved, but this now turned her into the most hated person in Kaena. She believes in doing her duty, but she also despises herself for the things she’s had to do. She understands the hate she gets. If ever she was in their position, she knows she'd hate herself too. Nevertheless, a part of her wants them to forgive her.

The writing style complements the tone of the book. It was brisk and to the point. There was just enough description to give away plot details without utterly boring the reader. It kept the book fast-paced. I especially liked that the author uses all the five senses while describing. It makes the world much more real and imaginable. However, it tends to make the gory scenes all the more vivid and gruesome. This book can be very triggering if one can’t handle explicit sex, violence, and rape.

My only critique with the book is that Viktor's scenes don't seem relevant to the rest of the story. Hopefully, the sequel 'Rise of Darkness' would make things much more clear. I’d still call this a 4 out of 4 stars book and recommend it to people who don't mind reading dark and graphic scenes. Fans of books like the Game of Thrones may enjoy this the most.

Shadows of Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insomniac07's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it captured your attention from almost the first moment. It's not my usual type of book, but it does sound interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like it captured your attention from almost the first moment. It's not my usual type of book, but it does sound interesting. Thanks for the review.
It did. It was hard to stop thinking about the book. If you like it, do give it a try and let me know what you thought of it.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

While reading your review, I did think it sounded vaguely similar to Game of Thrones, which I love so I'm intrigued. Nice job on the review.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

ashley_claire wrote:While reading your review, I did think it sounded vaguely similar to Game of Thrones, which I love so I'm intrigued. Nice job on the review.
Thanks for the love comment. :)
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Wow, this book sounds really interesting! I've been looking for a good fantasy book to read lately. This certainly seems like a perfect story to fill the void. Wonderful job making it sound interesting! And I appreciate the warnings, hopefully now I won't be caught off guard when certain points in the story arise.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

The Ellipsis Writer wrote:Wow, this book sounds really interesting! I've been looking for a good fantasy book to read lately. This certainly seems like a perfect story to fill the void. Wonderful job making it sound interesting! And I appreciate the warnings, hopefully now I won't be caught off guard when certain points in the story arise.
Oh my, your comment made my day. Thanks so much. Do let me know what you thought of the book if you read it. :)
ptolia_999
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by ptolia_999 »

Oh this sounds wonderful read...
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

ptolia_999 wrote:Oh this sounds wonderful read...
It was great for me. :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”