Official Review: The Guardians by B. L. Barger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Guardians by B. L. Barger

Post by gali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Guardians" by B. L. Barger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apocalypse meets Star wars in this refreshing novel!

The Guardians by B. L. Barger is a post-apocalyptic road trip with an original twist. It's a mishmash of Sci-fi and fantasy that works surprisingly well.

The book opens with a bang, literally, with an alien invasion of Earth no less, then builds up to an explosive climax. The story follows Maxine, a forty-something woman living in the post-apocalyptic United States. Her profession isn't mentioned, which I found odd, though the author alluded to it at some point. Upon waking up from a nightmare, the heroine is plunged into a world in the midst of a worldwide attack from hostile aliens named the Hooda. Due to her quick thinking, she manages to stock up and soon after her parents and brother join her. Oh, and did I mention she has a cat and a dog? Her devotion to them was heartwarming. As a side note, it all takes place in 2012 which makes it harder to swallow since that date has long passed.

When things start to look desperate, other aliens, named the Guardians, arrive to save the day. Unfortunately, they were too late to prevent the attack altogether. Millions perish in the attack and those who survive are left to deal with the aftermath of the attack which plunged the world into the Dark Ages.

Maxine is accidentally exposed to Guardian technology after being injured and taken care off by Commanders Kavi and Raffa Qatar. Consequently, she is linked to the Guardians to the dismay of her family and some of the Guardians. She grows attached to the Qatar brothers, and love soon follows. I have to say that I liked Max right away and found her a realistic heroine. The two brothers, in contrast, were not fully realized and seemed undistinguished character wise.

The plot thickens as Maxine and the Qatar brothers find themselves in a desperate race to save a ruined Earth from another massive attack by the Hooda, battling enemies left and right. The plot then takes a surreal turn into the twilight zone. I won't say too much about it, but magic, parallel universe, time travel, occult societies, and Egypt and Greek mythologies are involved.

Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed the book. B. L. Barger combines three overused literary elements, aliens, magic, and the end of the world, and spins them into something entirely fresh and new in this exciting novel.

There are many plot threads running through the story and they all intersect. The tie in with a secret cult and magic was an interesting twist and added a nice complexity to what might otherwise have been just another run-of-the-mill tale. Nonetheless, major, major suspension of disbelief is required to survive some of the plot twists. Still, it's a fun ride.

The author has seamlessly woven themes of fallible human nature, duty, right and wrong, relationships, betrayal, the clash of civilizations, and love. One of the most interesting questions this book raises is how you would act in the same position.

The plot alternates between the first person singular to the third person omniscient. The writing style was fluid for the most part, but the scenes written in the third POV felt a little flat. There were a couple of grammatical and spelling errors, but nothing large enough to take away from the story itself. I also felt like the book could be trimmed down a little because there were some things that started to feel repetitive, and there were a few places where the momentum dragged a bit.

This is the first book in the series and its ending is maddeningly frustrating because there is none-- the story stops abruptly in the middle of a scene and leaves one hanging. Be forewarned that there are a couple of sex scenes and some cussing in the book, so it may not suit a certain audience.

Overall, I liked the story and do look forward to the next book, so I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who likes alien and end-of-the-world stories and doesn't mind cliffhangers. Aliens may not be running rampant on our planet (yet), but the author sure has succeeded in making this event just as realistic as any other world disaster!

The Guardians
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great and detailed review, gali! I love post-apocalyptic stories, especially those when a twist is added. Too bad about some of the repetitive parts, but I'm glad that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I wonder how a story with overused elements can have an original twist. I am so intrigued that I think I like the book already :) You make Max sound like a very interesting character. Great job on the review.
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Another great and detailed review, gali! I love post-apocalyptic stories, especially those when a twist is added. Too bad about some of the repetitive parts, but I'm glad that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Thank you. I enjoyed the book immensely. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The plot seems interesting, but I don't like cliffhanger endings. I know what you mean about the third person writing feeling flat. I have read books like that, where the writing is better in the first person parts vs. third person.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The plot seems interesting, but I don't like cliffhanger endings. I know what you mean about the third person writing feeling flat. I have read books like that, where the writing is better in the first person parts vs. third person.
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

Sounds interesting.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
gali

Post by gali »

Katelyn Scott wrote:Sounds interesting.
It is! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

This definitely seems like a book i might enjoy. ?
Great review!
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
gali

Post by gali »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:This definitely seems like a book i might enjoy. ?
Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Once again, you gave us an extremely creative and detailed review, gali! You just rock it! It seems like an interesting story to say the least with all that apparently is going on throughout its unfolding events. The abrupt ending is a bit of a turn off though. Great job on the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:Once again, you gave us an extremely creative and detailed review, gali! You just rock it! It seems like an interesting story to say the least with all that apparently is going on throughout its unfolding events. The abrupt ending is a bit of a turn off though. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

wow - great review! I'm not big into surviving-after-aliens-end-of-the-world plots, but this sounds pretty exciting! Too bad about the extreme cliff-hanger and the sex scenes. I do wish authors would figure out how to suggest rather than be explicit :)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
gali

Post by gali »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:wow - great review! I'm not big into surviving-after-aliens-end-of-the-world plots, but this sounds pretty exciting! Too bad about the extreme cliff-hanger and the sex scenes. I do wish authors would figure out how to suggest rather than be explicit :)
Thank you. The sex scenes were tactfully done and didn't really bother me. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”