Official Review: The Marvelous Mechanical Arm of Octavian...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Official Review: The Marvelous Mechanical Arm of Octavian...

Post by David Nash »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Marvelous Mechanical Arm of Octavian Rilliuex" by Melanie Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Marvelous Mechanical Arm of Octavian Rilliuex by Melanie Thompson and published by Torrid Press is a delightful romp through the world of steampunk romance. The story has many of the hallmarks of an alternate history world sprinkled with the fanciful elements of zombies, voodoo, and H.G. Wells style inventions.

The novel centers on the adventures of Octavian and his companion Ridley. The two collaborate to uncover the reason behind a series of kidnappings and murders in the city. Octavian’s love interest is Raine L’ Eveque, a capable but headstrong woman who is both talented and beautiful. While she returns Octavian’s feelings, she hides a dark secret that keeps them apart.

Octavian is a vital man - a war hero, a brilliant inventor, and an implacable foe of the evils that beset the city of New Orleans. After losing an arm in the war, he has replaced it with a mechanical device he invented. This device has many attachments including the punisher - his literal arm of vengeance. It's a devastating weapon, capable of amazing feats of strength.

The cover artwork is gorgeous. I thought the cover’s female character bore a striking likeness to Keira Knightley (who might make a good actor for the female lead if Hollywood decided to make a movie.) The book has been professionally edited and I found nothing in the novel that left me hanging or confused.

The story’s plot is well done. Steampunk readers are in for a fun ride, although the marvelous devices tend to take a backseat to the romance. For romance fans, it is also a good read with a nice mix of the confused feelings and incorrect assumptions that tend to keep lovers apart.

Scenes involving torture, rape, and murder require keeping the novel out of the hands of younger readers. However, the book isn’t for horror or thriller fans. Instead, the scenes are brief and carry the story forward. I also found Ridley’s plunge into a marriage commitment a bit rash, but some readers may find it humorous and charming.

The overall writing is excellent and scenes fill out with colorful, period descriptions. You can clearly picture the characters and places. In addition, motivations fit with the thinking of the time. It's wonderful in a novel when characters behave consistently with their reasoning.

Overall, I found the book to be a fun, dashing read and I think steampunk and romance fans will enjoy it. For these reasons, I have rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Marvelous Mechanical Arm of Octavian Rilliuex
View: on Bookshelves

Like David Nash's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"a delightful romp through the world of steampunk romance"?? Sounds very tempting as I love steampunk. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. Though I'm not much into romance I love steampunk and I think I'm going to enjoy this book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Melanie Thompson on such an obviously well written book.
Cathy Crawford
Favorite Author: Mois Benarroch
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-crawford.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 38518

Post by Cathy Crawford »

This sounds fun and your review captures that. Thank you!
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
David Nash

Post by David Nash »

Thanks! The story was a lot of fun to read. The author did a pretty good job of capturing the writing style that characterizes steampunk. A bit of the ladies' "righteous indignation" here and there was fun to read. You can imagine the outfits pretty well too.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sounds like an engrossing story, though I'd rather hear more about the marvelous inventions than the romance. Octavian sounds a little like a steampunk Tony Stark. A great review, and a book added to my want to read list.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
David Nash

Post by David Nash »

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”