Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Post by little_wonderland »

I haven't read any of the Veronica Roth books before. I'm not biased.

Don't read any of the Goodreads reviews before reading this. That's my advice. Sometimes I think Goodreads was created to bash books and authors and prevent people from reading what they feel like reading (why do they always have to complain?). If you want to read this book, go for it and create your own opinion. I want to avoid all the controversy, because I'm only going to get angry.

It is slow-paced but since the book focused more on characters and their inner thoughts, it's not a bad thing.

I absolutely love how Slytherin Cyra, the main female character, is. At first she was a very stereotypical Slytherin, but later she developed into a good Slytherin. "Good" depends on your point of view, but I think she wasn't that monster her brother wanted her to be. I love how soft Akos is. Seriously, the YA books need more male characters like Akos, Jem Carstairs, Peeta, etc. YA also needs Slytherins as main characters. The side characters were amazing. I like every single characters, even those that were really cruel. They belonged to the story and I like their evilness.

I liked that there are just two POVs (Akos and Cyra) so you won't spend time reading about one thing 3 more times. The balance between those two POVs was well distributed.

The world building is a bit confusing but I don't really care because that's not the point of this book. The genre is sci-fi and it almost didn't feel like it and I was okay with it, because I'm not a big fan of sci-fi. This book has some dystopian feel for some reason (maybe because of Divergent).

The romance in this book wasn't very dominant and I love the way it was written. At first the romantic development between Akos and Cyra felt a bit weird and unnecessary but then I ended up enjoying it. It all developed very well in my opinion.
There is also one LGBT couple (I don't think there was much space left for more) and I can't say enough to express how happy I am about that.

Obviously it's not perfect, but it's not a waste of time or paper or anything. And the cover is stunning!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting. I honestly don't go by reviews for any book. I find one that captures my attention and just go for it. This one sounds interesting, but I know me... If a book is paced too slowly, I won't finish reading it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html

Post by little_wonderland »

It's slow but I'm a good way. I don't like slow-paced books either but if you like character driven books, I'm sure you'll be curious how this one ends :)
FearStreetZombie
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearstreetzombie.html

Post by FearStreetZombie »

I have been seeing a lot about Carve the Mark, though sadly, none of it is good things. I am tempted to read it if every given the chance though. Lol
Hajra Salim
Currently Reading: Goosebumps- Say Cheese and Die
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hajra-salim.html

Post by Hajra Salim »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds interesting. I honestly don't go by reviews for any book. I find one that captures my attention and just go for it. This one sounds interesting, but I know me... If a book is paced too slowly, I won't finish reading it.
Same :idea2: :lol:
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I really like your review on this. I would definitely ignore goodreads on this one. I would recommend this to people who don't mind slower paced novels and character driven ones.

The controversy around the book was racial but it was lost on readers that this story takes place on a fictional planet on a fictional universe where they have their own racism and colours of skin were just that - colour. It had no bearing on the story and it looked like people were just out to pick the book apart from the get go.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”