Official Review: Nekro by Chris Kronen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Official Review: Nekro by Chris Kronen

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nekro" by Chris Kronen.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nekro by Chris Kronen is a book about the end of the world. The main character, Damon, inherits the power of necromancy. He uses this new ability to bring Emily, the love of his life, back to life. Together, they travel the country, satiating their insatiable lust for blood, sex, and power.

I chose to read this book because the summary was intriguing. It sounded really good, so I had high hopes going in. However, I was severely disappointed.

Let's start with the story itself. As far as apocalyptic stories go, I found this one to be rather boring. Sure, there was a lot of fighting, blood and gore, but not a lot of action happened until way later in the book. A large portion of the book was dedicated to Damon and Emily smoking, drinking, and having sex. It became monotonous, and I rapidly lost interest in the story.

I could have stopped reading, but I didn't because I was hopeful that something bad would happen to Damon. Damon is an over-powered character, with practically no weaknesses. As the story progressed, he got stronger and stronger, without having any real setbacks. While it's okay to have a physically strong character, there has to be something that lets the reader relate to the character. I could not find anything about him to relate to. In fact, Damon annoyed and irritated me, because he is such a shallow, simple character.

I'm not very knowledgeable on necromancers, but making Damon immortal—with no need to eat, drink water, or sleep—seemed unrealistic to me. His revived companions, yes that makes sense, but Damon did not die and get resurrected. Again, that's why I think he is an over-powered character.

I also did not like Jill. I found it ridiculous that she switched sides so easily, and just joined Damon and Emily with almost no thought.

The plot of the book was never really defined, which also added to the monotonous feeling I got from it. A plot was finally revealed in the second-to-last chapter, setting it up for a second book, which I think is unnecessary. A lot of this book could be cut out, the plot could be revealed earlier on, and a second book wouldn't be needed. There was also a chapter toward the beginning that could be completely taken out, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the story.

The book also needs to be heavily edited. There are a lot of grammatical errors, and shifts in tense. It was not professionally edited.

The only thing I liked about this book was Lucy, the were-fox. She was great.

I had high hopes for this book, and I wish I had liked it. I'm giving Nekro 1 out of 4 stars and sincerely wish Chris Kronen all the best.

Nekro
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like animatedwolf3432's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well that's too bad. It sounds like it could have been a good book. You really have to be on your game to do an end of the world book. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

A pity how it turned out. End of the world books can be really interesting.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
pontiacman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by pontiacman »

That's a pretty scathing review. Possibly justified, possibly not. Honestly I'd have to read the book myself to make such a determination. I think what I should do, is buy one book rated at one star, and one at four-stars, and then see what's going one here. Even then, unless a book is both a one-star review, and a four-star review is coming from the same reader, it's really going to be according to personal taste.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”