Review of "Dragonhunt" by Garon Whited (includes spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review of "Dragonhunt" by Garon Whited (includes spoilers)

Post by The Researcher »

Dragonhunt as is apparent from the title is a short novella narrating a mission comprising of slaying a dragon.
The novella revolves around five heroes Sir Aramon, Gorgar, Y'vin, Tindal and Fliss all set on their path to search and kill the beast.
The book starts rather abruptly which is less to my liking. The background is not clear enough to immediately grasp the story. This makes it less enjoyable. Though the plot looks fascinating and tempting, I find the story very predictable and was almost tempted to skip paragraphs and jump to the end.
There is a broken flow between various sections of the book. For example ( This include spoiler) one minute the five characters are arguing with each other, while the next few pages show Gorgar man-handling his future brother-in-law. So much animosity without enough preface is not appreciable. It seems that writer unnecessarily tried to insert a drama inside the story.
The mention of wizardry in the details of book which drew me towards the story was neither explained nor displayed efficiently. The word 'ketch' came and gone in a minute from the page without mentioning its significance.
The heroes style of fighting was also not very attractive. The show of honour of a certain character also seemed untimely and showy when strategic planning and camouflaging was called for.
Overall i find that the writing style was average.Nothing to hold the reader. The conversations between the characters dull and if there was wittiness at two instances i find it lacking in substance and also unoriginal.
The mission dragonhunt looked more like a highschool project undertaken by sulking and uncertain teenagers rather than mature heroes hellbent on killing the big beastly dragon.
I will give this book a rating of 1/4. I found that there are no typing errors in the book ( as far as i could make out)

P.S. There is one phrase in the book that caught my attention "but completely out of his element in the elements"
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

Wow, I read the short story and totally enjoyed it! I found the writing style quite enjoyable and look forward to reading more from this author. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as I did but thanks for your thoughts.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Mollymae wrote:Wow, I read the short story and totally enjoyed it! I found the writing style quite enjoyable and look forward to reading more from this author. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as I did but thanks for your thoughts.
Thank you for reading the review. I am glad that you enjoyed the book. It was not for me I suppose.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”