Official Review: Ares by K.A. Finn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Official Review: Ares by K.A. Finn

Post by David Nash »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ares" by K.A. Finn.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’ve finished reading Ares, a science fiction novel, by K. A. Finn.

The story centers on the conflict between the Nomad and the Foundation. The Nomad are a group of former pirates who now protect a cluster of planetary colonies. The Foundation is a large interstellar empire that is returning to the Nomad’s sector of space. Gryffin, the cybernetically enhanced leader of the Nomad, is the result of a series of terrible experiments performed by the Foundation. He meets Terra, a beautiful Foundation officer, and romance and intrigue fill the rest of the book.

The cover art was good, but clashed with the description of the main character. In the opening chapter, Gryffin is described as having a “W-shaped” implant in his chest. On the cover, the implant is Y-shaped.

The novel’s opening is plagued with similar inconsistencies. At one point Gryffin’s eye glows red during a discussion before an impending battle. When he is ready to launch an attack his eyes are purple. However, in the rest of the book Gryffin’s eyes are blue and turn purple only when he is angry or losing control of his implants. They are never red.

While in third person viewpoint, references are made in active, instead of passive, tense. I found this difficult to read. Sentences like, “Terra laughs and waves Milla away.” and, “She glances toward her friend, who's still trying to reach the bar.” fill the first quarter of the book.

Later in the novel, the writing shifts. The story continues from the first person viewpoint of different characters and the problem goes away. However, I found myself grinding my teeth as I struggled with the opening.

Another issue is the reaction of Terra to Gryffin. I can accept that Terra might have an instant attraction to Gryffin. However, Gryffin’s actions are too violent. At best, Gryffin appears to be psychotic. Any reasonable person would stay away. Terra’s actions are not believable.

And, that’s where my major objections end. The rest of the book was a very good read. I enjoyed the development of the secondary characters. The betrayals and the plot twists were well done.

I think many people will be turned off by the beginning of the novel. Those who are not will get a very enjoyable read for the rest of the book. The ending leads to a clear sequel and I felt that the series will improve with time.

But for now, with this book, I can only give it two out of four stars.

Ares
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like David Nash's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a good science fiction book, and this story sounds interesting. However if it isn't good right away I probably won't read the rest. Don't think I'll bother with this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cathy Crawford
Favorite Author: Mois Benarroch
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-crawford.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 38518

Post by Cathy Crawford »

Your review was concise and descriptive. Thanks for the heads-up on the difficult beginning.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

Thank you. I did find the beginning a bit jarring and under other circumstances I would have dropped it. I am glad I finished it and I think I'll try the second book in the series to see how the story goes. I am interested in seeing how the hero gets out of his present pickle.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”