Official Review: The Chronicles of Pukupai

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: The Chronicles of Pukupai

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chronicles of Pukupai" by Bijit Chakraborty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chronicles of Pukupai by Bijit Chakraborty is a book in the fantasy genre. This book holds appeal for the readers in the age group of eight to twelve years.

The protagonist, Pukupai, is a twelve-year old boy who lives with his father, George, a fisherman, in a small town called Heartland. While his father hopes to see him well educated, Pukupai hates school and dreams of discovering imaginary worlds, fighting sea monsters and never-ending adventures. His father manages to send him away to his uncle in a different city, to study in a better school, but Pukupai doesn’t give up on his dreams.

In his new school he find new friends in Bob and Joey who share the same thrill for an adventure, and they call their group ‘Dreamers’. Together with Angelina, Pukupai’s mischievous cousin, they make a trip back to Heartland during their vacation. There they meet up with Tang, an enigmatic stranger, feared by many, who had once rescued Pukupai from school bullies. Tang tells them about his futile search for the Isle of Demons and invites them for an adventure in the ocean, to locate this island. Not known to back away from a quest, the Dreamers and Angelina eagerly set sail with Tang on a seemingly wild goose chase. Will they find the object of their expedition or disappear into the vast unknown?

My first thought when I finished the book was that the plot wasn’t as exciting as the first few pages hinted. However, on second thoughts I have to agree that it is well suited for children, who are the target audience for this book. The storyline, where Pukupai and his friends discover a new archipelago and a whole host of diverse creatures, would definitely interest tweens.

The story also flirts with the difference between a monarchy and democracy, in an uncomplicated manner, which was pretty impressive. The motley of creatures and islands imagined by the author are quite delightful. The plot in itself is simple, but the author’s narration would keep the young readers engaged till the end. Apart from Pukupai, the book focuses deeply on Tang’s character. There is the aura of mystery surrounding Tang: why do people fear him, what crimes did he actually commit, and what is the redemption he is searching. The story does not resolve all these questions; therefore I was left feeling dissatisfied after I finished the book.

Another reason I felt disappointed was due to a missing element of suspense and something extra that makes a book a truly entertaining read. However, since this is an easy and likable novel for most parts, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Chronicles of Pukupai
View: on Bookshelves

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

This sounds like an interesting read! Great job with the review and I agree that missing suspense could be painful in a story like this.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. Too bad, though, about the 'dissatisfied feeling' brought about by unresolved questions. Good job on the review.
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

Well , I can honestly say this is not my genre. But for a kids book, the reviewer explained it very well.If I was looking for an adventurous book :tiphat: for my grandchildren,I would definitely pick this one. Great job to the Author.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks, all of you :)
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. This seems like a read that would have been one of my favourites if I was younger. After all, the character sounds like me. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting. This doesn't sound like one that adults would enjoy even though it's a kids books like some. Thanks for the honest review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”