Official Review: Tristan Smith and The Alien Building Site

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: Tristan Smith and The Alien Building Site

Post by James Craft »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tristan Smith and The Alien Building Site" by K. P. Hogan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tristan Smith and The Alien Building Site by K. P. Hogan is a science fiction novel about space exploration and colonization as the alliance tries to beat the Russian and Chinese to a secret discovery hidden on Mars, and it details the first entry into an expected six-book series about Tristan’s explorations in space.

We are thrust into the story in medias res and have no clue what is going on, and then Tristan begins thinking about previous and better moments in his tour of duty while waiting for the computer to boot up. There is a sense of urgency in this moment, but it is never resolved because we immediately go back in time to previous events in his life and this introduction is carried over to the next novel.

This work is very ambitious in what it tries to achieve, but it falls short in multiple ways and never quite reaches its full potential. The formatting and general editing were some of the largest problems I found with the book: for example, everything is left-aligned and then there are random double spaces between different sections to represent scene breaks, but some of these breaks don’t really make sense in the context of the story. In one passage, there is a break after Tristan puts a plate of food on the table and before he tells his daughter and wife that he is going to miss having breakfast with them. It didn’t feel like there should have necessarily been a break here, and this sort of improper pause shows up fairly frequently throughout the book.

The story is told entirely in present tense, which was awkward to get used to at first but actually worked fairly well by the end of the story. It gives it a sort of urgent feel that drives the action at various points, but the fact that the main character is looking back almost twenty years into his past and still in present tense felt a little awkward.

The characters are fairly well put together and one of the strongest parts of the story, and I think Tristan and Alex were the ones that came across best. The opening of the story is intriguing in setting up the world of these books, and we wonder what happened and who attacked them and killed the night crew, but there is a lot of repetition in the action that makes it feel like reading the same thing over and over again. For example, Tristan runs to the bridge several times in a row, making the action feel repetitious. It also doesn’t get resolved by the end of the story, which was sort of disappointing.

Tristan Smith and The Alien Building Site by K. P. Hogan had potential, but it dropped the ball in so many different ways that it is difficult to want to continue despite ending with multiple threads unresolved. I give it a 2 out of 4 star rating because it had entertaining moments but was full of the aforementioned problems. I think the author would benefit greatly by cleaning up a few things throughout, like better editing and formatting, and end up with a much higher quality story.

Tristan Smith and The Alien Building Site
View: on Bookshelves

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your honest, thorough review. You gave good, constructive criticism while still pointing out the positive aspects of the book. Sci-fi is not my preferred genre, but it sounds like the story has a lot of potential. Nice job!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Too bad, though, about the overall execution. I may get past the present tense but the formatting may make it difficult to read the book. Good job on the review.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed your honest, thorough review. You gave good, constructive criticism while still pointing out the positive aspects of the book. Sci-fi is not my preferred genre, but it sounds like the story has a lot of potential. Nice job!
Thanks! Yeah, it certainly has potential and I think with a little bit of work the author could really make this a fantastic book worth checking out!

-- 26 Jan 2017, 10:14 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Too bad, though, about the overall execution. I may get past the present tense but the formatting may make it difficult to read the book. Good job on the review.
Thanks! Yeah, the formatting was sort of off-putting and took a while to get used to. The present tense thing certainly caught me off-guard but I actually found by the end it wasn't very distracting.
John Walker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by John Walker »

I've read the full series, and the review here did not give it justice. The story starts in the beginning of a battle that takes place in the last book. Tristan wakes up and finds himself in a very bad situation, and wonders how he got himself into that situation. He thinks back to his career. Each of the books takes on one tour in his career, expanding out from Earth to Mars, then to the Asteroid belt, then Jupiter, etc. Each tour has it's own drama and excitement, completely different from the last. They go out to find these alien's home world. The formatting mentioned is not in the original document, it is the way Kindle formats it. The book had been spell-checked and proof-read by at least 3 people, including English professors. Last minute minor changes may have let minor mistakes in but it is not in need of major editing. The story is told in present tense because it is a flash back and he is experiencing the events in present tense. The unresolved threads are because the story continues in the next books. This is typical in book series otherwise it would be over in one book.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for this honest and thorough review. I think that your assessment of this book was more than fair, as you highlighted both the strengths and weaknesses of the story. It seems like it has some potential, and I hope that the author takes your advice to heart!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Thank you for this honest and thorough review. I think that your assessment of this book was more than fair, as you highlighted both the strengths and weaknesses of the story. It seems like it has some potential, and I hope that the author takes your advice to heart!
Thanks for the kind words! I hope so as well.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

This was definitely an honest review. It sounds like the book could have used a little bit of work and could be something great if it was cleaned up.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Lincoln wrote:This was definitely an honest review. It sounds like the book could have used a little bit of work and could be something great if it was cleaned up.
Yeah it certainly has a lot of potential if the author is able to clean up some of it. Thanks for stopping by.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it's too bad this book falls so short. It sounds like there are good points to it. I do love great characters. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:Well it's too bad this book falls so short. It sounds like there are good points to it. I do love great characters. Thanks for the review.
It certainly had a lot of potential but didn't live up.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”