Official Review: Chocolate Chocolate Moons by Jackie Kingon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Official Review: Chocolate Chocolate Moons by Jackie Kingon

Post by Silvermoon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chocolate Chocolate Moons" by Jackie Kingon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chocolate Chocolate Moons by Jackie Kingon is a fantastical witty fiction novel that is set in the twenty-fourth century and takes place in our solar system. Molly Marbles loves food, but not everyone shares her delight. As she journeys through the galaxy, Molly's experiences indicate that not everyone shares her joy and lack of guilt when it comes to eating food.

Molly Marbles loves to eat and loves her body, but is unhappy with criticism and ridicule her gourmand lifestyle receives on earth. When the opportunity arises, she relocates to the moon. Weight nor eating are an issue here, and Molly happily relates to the inhabitants of the planet. After two euphoric decades have passed, a family economic misfortune occurs. Molly, her husband, and her twin teenage daughters transport to Mars. When they arrive at their destination, Molly immediately feels out of sync. On Mars, everyone is thin and has an idiosyncratic antipathy for food and a disdain for overweight individuals. The plus side of their move is that the company that manufactures Molly's favorite candy, Chocolate Moons is located on Mars. Molly is quite happy to take a security job at the corporation. Then a horrible calamity happens; someone poisons the Chocolate Moons and right under Molly's nose. Molly and her Martian co-worker are on the trail of the criminal and will traverse the universe to make him pay for his sacrilege.

This book is a thought-provoking allegory with satirical elements that mock the weight loss industry and society's view of eating as a whole. It imaginatively presents the individual's love/hate relationship with food and their bodies. With all of her outlandish and extreme twists on reality, the author makes a good point. The overindulgence of food versus the unhealthy goal of a thin body is a dilemma our nation faces. In the book, replacing food with chemical substitutes and depriving the body of food is how the characters achieve that goal.

This book is humorous and has a multitude of laugh out loud moments. The whole time I was reading it, I was smiling. Euphemisms and incongruities related to everything imaginable. Such as, a lump of coal was more desirable than a ten-carat diamond or the outrageously paradoxical use of history in the "rare etching of the great English chef from the Falklands, Margaret Thatcher, standing in front of Folsom Prison holding a rolling pin over the head of finance minister Johnny Cash." I did find it quite droll, when under the duress of moving from the moon to Mars, Molly's family parrot squawks, "Calorie wants a Prozac!"

This novel is amusing and fascinating, and I highly recommend it to those who love a good futuristic and zany out of this world story. It is well-written and has a sound plot with a salient message woven within it's humorous and superb storyline. However, I had a problem with the constant play on words. At first, it was comical, but towards the end, the barrage of parodies did wear a little thin and became distracting. Other than that minute issue, I believe this is an exceptional novel, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Chocolate Chocolate Moons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Silvermoon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds like a great book. I can definitely relate to Molly; I love food. I like the future setting in this book. I also love the use of satire in most cases. I'm going to have to check this book out. Great job on the review!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Great review! I love witty and satirical books.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very entertaining book with delightful and fascinating protagonist. I think I can relate with Molly about food :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Jackie Kingon on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”