Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Life On Earth by Clayton Beal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Life On Earth by Clayton Beal

Post Number:#1 by e-tasana-williams
» 16 Jan 2017, 17:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life On Earth" by Clayton Beal.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by e-tasana-williams
Share This Review

Dickey Duncan Declan is the protagonist of Clayton Beal's new science fiction novel Life on Earth: Declan Book 1. He is an average student in south Florida trying to navigate his first day back to FAU. This isn't college as we know it, though. Declan's subjects include math, physics, philosophy...and timeology, the study of time travel. He attends university in a world where professors teach via hologram, elderly citizens are just human heads connected to reality simulators, and everyone lives most of the time in virtual reality. According to Declan, "nowadays, reality is just the place where you eat, breathe and bleed." (P.38)

The story opens one month after Declan's father has died of a heart attack. Having been very close to his dad Declan finds himself without a plan, just living day to day. On Declan's first day back to school he witnesses a friend being attacked by a mutant man-bat. He steps in to help his friend. Little does he know that this seemingly small act will soon have him running for his own life. What ensues is a fast-paced roller coaster ride. Aided by his friend Tawana Flats, a genetically modified half fish/half woman, Declan tries to stay one step ahead of his would-be assassins. His progress is hindered at times by a maniacal android named QD 1.0. What makes matters worse is that he learns his father's death may not have been from natural causes.

This tale is entertaining. The references to vintage taxis from 2020 and clothing manufactured on 3D printers are nice touches. At times I found myself wondering where the story was going, as it seemed like a chain of futuristic "what if's" without a strong direction to the plot. It does pick up toward the end. As a side note, the .pdf copy I read is marked with editor's notes which is distracting.

Readers seeking an upbeat, fast-paced science fiction novel will enjoy this one. The story is immediately engaging and the action starts right away. Long-time science fiction fans will appreciate the allusions to the old sci-fi movies Barbarella, Star Trek and Soylent Green. People offended by profanity and sex scenes may not like Life on Earth: Declan Book 1, as these elements are sprinkled throughout the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is amusing, imaginative and unique. The only drawbacks for me are the distracted flow toward the middle of the book and the editor's notes (which presumably would not be in a copy intended for the public). As the title implies, this is the first in a series.

Life On Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
e-tasana-williams's Latest Review: "Toil...ing" by Jeff Nitzkin
e-tasana-williams

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Life On Earth by Clayton Beal

Post Number:#2 by Insightsintobooks
» 20 Jan 2017, 08:07

This sounds like an interesting concept for a book. Great review.
Insightsintobooks's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Insightsintobooks

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#3 by Rachaelamb1
» 22 Jan 2017, 05:26

I find a lot of books with interesting worlds tend to lack a solid plot. Glad the author was able to pick it up after a while.
Rachaelamb1's Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Rachaelamb1

Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: Dragonwitch
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 122 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Post Number:#4 by mewsmash
» 22 Jan 2017, 07:35

This sounds like a very fascinating book! Nice review.
mewsmash's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash

Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by e-tasana-williams
» 22 Jan 2017, 18:22

Thank you! This was definitely one of the more original reads I've reviewed for the site.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
e-tasana-williams's Latest Review: "Toil...ing" by Jeff Nitzkin
e-tasana-williams

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#6 by Jeyran Main
» 11 Feb 2017, 21:34

I am not a big fan of books that use foul language or explicit sex scenes. I do not really see the point in it either. It does nothing to the plot or the experience of reading. That is my opinion of course.
Jeyran Main

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 178%

Post Number:#7 by kandscreeley
» Today, 12:09

I wonder if this is geared more toward younger readers? The cover certainly looks like it. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Biome
Bookshelf Size: 29 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 27%