Official Review: Soul of a Warrior by Denna Holm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Soul of a Warrior by Denna Holm

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soul of a Warrior" by Denna Holm.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever been visited by aliens? In Denna Holm’s Soul of a Warrior, Kimi Wicker is visited multiple times in the span of one night. These aren't your typical sci-fi aliens, however. They’re dark and powerful strangers, and one of them claims that he’s Kimi’s soulmate! Before Kimi can fully comprehend the situation she’s in, she’s whisked away by an enemy of her mate, and left for stranded on a completely different planet.

Thankfully, Kimi isn’t alone. She was teleported along with her best friend, Mandy, and her coworker Keith. On the alien planet, they meet a variety of new creatures, both friendly and, well, not-so-friendly. Together the three search for a way home, all while Kimi’s mate is frantically searching throughout an entire galaxy to find her.

Soul of a Warrior is a novel that refuses to be bound to one genre. In its pages you can find fantasy, science fiction, romance, adventure, and a tiny bit of a horror. As I was reading, I was able to fully immerse myself in the storyline. In the beginning of the novel I was just as clueless as Kimi, but as the novel picked up pace I was learning about this new and dangerous world along with the characters. Holm’s creative writing style allowed me to feel awe, disgust, and fear as if I had teleported alongside Kimi and her friends.

To be honest, I was not sure whether I would be able to relate to the characters or not. Kimi and her friends all have strong personalities, and I was not sure how realistic their reactions would be to finding themselves on a completely different planet. To my surprise, the characters were what made Soul of a Warrior so enjoyable. The descriptive writing style and creative sci-fi aspects were a great plus, but the characters were truly what satisfied me. They are smart, funny, and above all a perfect fit for the roles they play.

My only complaint is that the romance was a little lacking throughout the novel. Kimi’s mate, Neyvarre, rudely introduces himself to Kimi while they are on Earth, and before they can even get to know each other she’s whisked right out of his arms. Obviously they have no contact while he is searching for her, but by the time they meet again she is ready to walk right into his arms. I would have liked to see more scenes of them building their relationship, rather than rushing to a happy ending. Soul of a Warrior is the first in a series yet to be published, but it could stand by itself fairly well if Kimi and Neyvarre had more time to bond.

Overall, I believe Soul of a Warrior has earned 4 out of 4 stars. I was truly enchanted by the new world Kimi and her friends found themselves in, although I wouldn’t want to find myself stranded there! I would recommend this book to fantasy and science fiction lovers, as the romance aspect is more of an afterthought. There are a few racy scenes, so I believe it is suited more for mature readers.

Soul of a Warrior
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I probably wouldn't care for the racy scenes, but the premise sounds interesting! I am glad that the characters are well written even though the romance is a bit rushed.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting read. I see your point about the romance part, it seems kind of.. unripe(?) :) Still, it seems like a very enjoyable book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Denna Holm on such a glowing review.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

To be honest, I was not sure whether I would be able to relate to the characters or not. Kimi and her friends all have strong personalities, and I was not sure how realistic their reactions would be to finding themselves on a completely different planet. To my surprise, the characters were what made Soul of a Warrior so enjoyable. The descriptive writing style and creative sci-fi aspects were a great plus, but the characters were truly what satisfied me. They are smart, funny, and above all a perfect fit for the roles they play.
I always worry before I read a book that the characters aren't interesting enough to continue reading it, so this information is very applicable to me. I'll definitely consider this book in the near future! :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting read. I see your point about the romance part, it seems kind of.. unripe(?) :) Still, it seems like a very enjoyable book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Denna Holm on such a glowing review.
Thank you! :D

-- 26 Dec 2016, 00:07 --
jamesabr wrote:I always worry before I read a book that the characters aren't interesting enough to continue reading it, so this information is very applicable to me. I'll definitely consider this book in the near future! :D
I'm glad to be of service! :lol:
If you decide to give the book a try, let me know what you think! I love hearing other people's reviews as well!
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

The books sound very interesting. I love sci-fi books, but never encountered one where a character from modern earth as we understand it is hurtled into the big wide universe. Usually, such books are set in the technological distant future and usually somewhere other than earth. It's an intriguing premise.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”