Official Review: The Four Powers by J. A. Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Official Review: The Four Powers by J. A. Cummings

Post by mratdegraff91 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Four Powers" by J. A. Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Four Powers by J. A. Cummings is a novel focused on the great powers of the Loadstone. The Loadstone was created many years ago by the gods and split to maintain equal power corresponding to the four elements air, fire, water, and earth. Each piece was placed in a tower with an immortal Guardian to represent each cardinal direction. After the completion of the towers, tribes formed great cities around them to aid in their protection. Pedar Toloris is the second son of the Great Chieftain of the Water Tribe and self-made dragon expert. The Water tribe is in a constant feud with the dragons.

After a giant crack appears on the side of the Mountain Shadowtop, he is sought out to come and determine what the Dragon Council is scheming. Upon the return of the great Dragon Goddess Xetith, the Council aims to gain the Loadstone pieces to reunite them and reset the fabric of time to regain control of the land and destroy the humans. In preparation to prevent this from happening Pedar is chosen as the Dragon Bard and merges his soul with the soul shard of the great dragon Xaramuth. With the aid of representatives from the other elemental tribes and the Pheonix, he sets out to stop Xetith and the council and return peace to the land.

The Four Powers is a great Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel that is 357 standard pages. Written in the first person the book is narrated by the main character Pedar. It focuses on the theme of magic being present in the world as well as many other types of magical creatures. Pedar is a young bard who is forced to grow up quickly after the Dragon Council makes its plans known. The development of his character throughout this story is fantastic. The author portrays him with a great sense of humor and also an emotional side to remind the reader that he is still very young to be dealing with such hardships.

The female author of this book has a variety of knowledge related to the human condition which I feel helped her create the many different characters featured in her work. She is a historian and anthropologist by training, receiving a degree in Interdisciplinary Humanities from the Michigan State University Honors College.

Another thing I like about this novel is how the author would have occasional breaks where Pedar would explain several of the different races or gods mentioned in detail. I found that to be very refreshing and entertaining. I also liked how the author provided many different twists throughout the story. It kept me interested and focused to the point that I could hardly put the book down.

I had a hard time finding anything I did not like about this book. It appeared that the author took the time to have her book edited well in that there were very few mistakes. The story had a great plot and climax as well as great conclusion. Since I struggled to find anything I did not like about this book, I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. I feel this book would by very appealing to any Sci-Fi/Fantasy lover. There was some romance in the book that would appeal to Romance fans but also some scenes that were quite gory. If you are not a fan of blood and guts, you should probably avoid this book.

The Four Powers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like mratdegraff91's review? Post a comment saying so!
Madison Degraffenreid
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I'm so into fantasy novels and magical creatures and this sound like an enjoyable read. Good job on the review. Congratulations to J. A. Cummings on such an obviously well written book.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This sounds like an enticing read! Glad you liked the book so much. Great job on the review :)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Love the premise! Sounds like the author did a great job....I love a good plot twist!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
I am Ace
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-am-ace.html

Post by I am Ace »

Great Job for the review! The book sounds magnificent through your exquisite words.
I probably must read this!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

This book sounds like a story right up my ally. Your review was well written. You provided great detail about the appeals of the book as well as a warning about who may want to avoid this novel. I am adding this to my shelf.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
elfeezareads
Currently Reading: The Haunted Library
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elfeezareads.html

Post by elfeezareads »

Sounds like something I would definitely like to read. Elemental powers and magic and dragons always pique my interest and curiosity. Adding this onto my Goodreads to-read shelf. Thank you for the review.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

Sounds like a great story. I like dragons, both good and bad and it sounds like there is more than enough action and intrigue to keep me satisfied. Thanks for the review!
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

Magic, dragons, and adventure! All things I love in books. This is one I'd definitely love to get into as the last books I read with dragons in them was the Inheritance Cycle.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
creativemistif1987
Currently Reading: Melhara
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creativemistif1987.html

Post by creativemistif1987 »

sounds like a very interesting read
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Great review. congratulations! I would definitely read this if I have time since it talks about dragons and mysteries. I recommend this to adventurers.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Magickangel102
Currently Reading: The forgotten princess
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magickangel102.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Magickangel102 »

You did an awsome job on the review. It sounds like a book I would definitely want to read. I am most certainly adding this to my to be read list. I love fantasy books containing magic. The part you mention about taking time to explain a God or race ect I find most intriguing and look forward to.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Great review! It sounds like an interesting book. My younger sister is obsessed with dragons so I'll be passing this title on to her so she may enjoy it as well.
HannahGreendale
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgreendale.html

Post by HannahGreendale »

Interesting review. Your insight on the author's personal expertise is especially helpful.
WinkeJ
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winkej.html

Post by WinkeJ »

Sounds like a great read for those seeking a fantasy adventure. The environment and characters really make a reader feel involved to invoke emotion. If this is one of those stories demanding the reader to understand it's unique then I'm in for the read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”