Official Review: From Earth to Terra by Beverly Jenness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: From Earth to Terra by Beverly Jenness

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Earth to Terra" by Beverly Jenness.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two hundred years into the future, Earth is crumbling. Becoming more and more uninhabitable. In the Science Fiction read, From Earth to Terra by Beverly Jenness, the reader follows a group who is led away from their home in order to save the human race.

Strong-willed siblings Amanda and Paul are prepared for their departure from planet Earth. They say goodbye to their high-ranking and prestigious parents to accept their new fate. By joining The Life Trust Guild, along with several others, they have agreed to enter space in hopes of smoothly transitioning to a new planet, Terra.

After being asleep for a long time, the passengers are woken up to see Terra for the first time. Slowly, they begin to establish their roles in this new world. Roles include plant gatherers, hunters, seamstresses, those who think outside the box, and many more. Though as everyone is settling in, it becomes more apparent that not all are contributing. As a result, stress levels increase. Eventually, the hard-working citizens come to realize that perhaps their once idealistic planet may not be what they have bargained for.

Told in the third person omniscient point of view, there is an interesting balance between the future and the past. The characters have the ability to access the internet, virtual reality rooms, and even 3D printers. But then, they quickly learn that they must use the environment’s natural resources for survival. I had to continually remind myself this story is set in the future, not during the hunter/gatherer era.

What I also found interesting is how the science fiction genre is woven in. One example is Abraham’s work; this older gentleman is in charge of the embryo lab, where babies are formed in gestation tubes. Those who favor motherhood, visit their little ones in tubes to provide comfort until the babies are ready for their birthing agents in order to be born; it was a bit odd and fascinating at the same time. I also found the creatures on this planet compelling. Monstrous lake dragons, odd-looking spike-tongued frogs, and dish-sized scavenger spiders are the ones that stuck out to me.

Unfortunately, there are an extreme number of errors throughout this book. Most of the errors are missing periods, missing quotation marks, and inconsistencies of word usage. For instance, the word “smokehouse” was later changed to “smoke house” within the same page. The other big one I noticed was a character’s name misspelled. She was referred to as “Chloe’ ”, “Chloe”, and “Cloe” within a page or two. These are easy fixes, but were extremely distracting.

Also, I found the world building a bit disjointed where I felt I couldn't grasp certain aspects of these people's lives and the world they are living in. Lastly, I felt some of the relationships between pod companions was a bit unrealistic; they seemed forced and fast.

Though with its need of another edit job, I did find From Earth to Terra fairly enjoyable. Therefore, I rate this Sci-Fi a 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy reading about how a set of people live and survive in somewhere vastly different from their previous lives.

From Earth to Terra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It's too bad about the errors. A decent editor should have caught those. It sounds like they were very distracting from and otherwise really intriguing story.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kia wrote:It's too bad about the errors. A decent editor should have caught those. It sounds like they were very distracting from and otherwise really intriguing story.
Thank you for your thoughts, Kia. Yes, if they were fixed, this book would hand soared. Nonetheless, it was still pretty enjoyable. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow this sounds like a really intriguing book! Loved the examples of the technology in this review - the embryo tubes especially sounded interesting. Great review, thanks!!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MarisaRose wrote:Wow this sounds like a really intriguing book! Loved the examples of the technology in this review - the embryo tubes especially sounded interesting. Great review, thanks!!
Thank you, MarisaRose! It was an intriguing read that the author can take her characters in so many directions. I thought the embryo tubes were interesting too. I kept trying to picture how the whole laboratory would look like on TV or in a movie. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Heidi

Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

Thank you for the review. This type of survival storyline does appeal to me, and now I will know what to expect as far as the inconsistencies go, and will try not to let it bother me.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Thank you for the great review. The premise sounds like it could make any interesting story, but I think I'll give this book a pass. I've never found settlement stories very interesting.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ripley3131 wrote:Thank you for the review. This type of survival storyline does appeal to me, and now I will know what to expect as far as the inconsistencies go, and will try not to let it bother me.
Thank you for your thoughts, Ripley3131. Yes, it was enjoyable, aside from the inconsistencies. If you read it, hope you enjoy!

-- 10 Jan 2017, 23:45 --
Thimble wrote:Thank you for the great review. The premise sounds like it could make any interesting story, but I think I'll give this book a pass. I've never found settlement stories very interesting.
Thank you, Thimble! I understand what you mean about not finding settlement stories very interesting. But, I do appreciate you reading and commenting here. :)
Heidi

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A science Fiction book that follows a group of people who leaves Earth in order to save the human race and build a better world sounds exciting. The weaving of science fiction elements in the tale sounds intriguing. Too bad about the errors and the disjointed world building. Still, I will give it a try as I love the concept. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This sounds like a very interesting concept. Science-fiction has always been a favourite of mine. I think i'll gove this book a try.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I agree that the premise of having some technology along with the hunger/gatherer idea is really interesting. It’s too bad that there are so many errors though.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The concept is intriguing. I appreciate a well-woven plot and a realistic scenario. I will give this book a try. Thanks for the nice review.
Preeti5
Currently Reading: Principles
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Preeti5 »

From Earth to Terra by Beverly Jenness

A science fiction where a pair of sibling by joining The Life Trust Guild, along with several others, they have agreed to enter space in hopes of smoothly transitioning to a new planet, Terra & colonized it .
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

This seems like a good way to explore the idea of what it would be like to live in a new planet similar to Earth. After all, our environment is really dying now because of our own doing. The errors you found can be distracting, though. Thank you for your review.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thank you for your review.
Unfortunately, this kind of science fiction that involves environmental catastrophes is not for me. I find it too close to reality and a little nerve wrecking.
Hopefully, it´ll get a better editing for fans of this genre. Although I´m afraid that plot and character flaws that seem unrealistic might not be fixed with editing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”