Official Review: Ordinary to Hero in One Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Ordinary to Hero in One Fall

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ordinary to Hero in One Fall" by K. R. Freeman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ordinary to Hero in One Fall Part One is a fictional, fantasy novel by first-time author K.R. Freeman. He has taken no creative writing courses, but relies solely on his fantastic imagination to fuel his stories.

John Reed, a private in the army, works in the maintenance department at a secret, hidden base in the Ocala National Forest. He is a war veteran who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He has a beautiful wife, Katrina, who is carrying their first child. He has always been a caring, compassionate man with a strong desire to help others. Nothing was out of the ordinary about him until a freak accident during a tornado on the base.

John was in a life-threatening accident and woke up in a hospital where he is kept under close watch. His body begins healing faster than a normal person's should. His only ally in the hospital is a pretty nurse, Linda, who reminds him of his wife. As he starts noticing new, strange things his body can do, Linda helps him escape notice of the hospital personnel. With the help of Linda and his wife, he leaves the hospital with no trace of his records left behind. He fears if the government discovers his powers, he will be locked up and treated as a human guinea pig.

During his quest to find answers to his situation, he discovers new powers and ways to use them to help those in need. He meets powerful people who become good friends, ready to help John at a moment's notice. Will John accept his new-found powers and be the hero he is meant to be? Or will he keep searching for a way to remove the unwanted abilities?

This book grabbed my attention at the beginning and didn't let go. Something was continuously happening from page one until the end. The author is descriptive in his settings and characters. The hero was focused on, while cleverly using supporting characters to move the story along. Although, there were cases where a character would be mentioned but then seemed to be forgotten. Maybe they will be picked up again in future books. The plot used a creative twist on the superhero theme. It was interesting to watch John's transformation process.

However, the book did not appear to be professionally edited. I saw a few grammatical errors, but the main issue was missing double letters in words. For example, "all" would show up as "al" or "call" would be "cal". It didn't happen all the time, but enough to be distracting. Also, when describing conversations between characters, the author frequently used " shouted" as their tone of voice. Sometimes I wasn't sure why the character would be shouting in that particular circumstance.

I enjoyed the creativity of the story and wish I could rate it higher. Based on the above observations, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book would appeal to teenagers and older fans of superheroes and action/adventure. I can't wait to read the next book and find out what happens to John and his family.

Ordinary to Hero in One Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. John Reed seems like an intriguing character. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Sounds like a fun read! Hopefully the author will get the book professionally edited. Even though the plot seems interesting, I find errors so distracting! Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”