Official Review: The Royal Dragoneers by M. R. Mathias

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Royal Dragoneers by M. R. Mathias

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Royal Dragoneers" by M. R. Mathias.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Royal Dragoneers is Book One of the Dragoneers Saga written by M. R. Mathias.

Aspiring King’s Ranger Jenka de Swasso knows he is in trouble after disobeying his mother and his master by following his prey all the way deep in the hills teeming with trolls, goblins and ogres. Things take a new turn when a lime colored dragon saved him from a band of three attacking trolls. Jenka, then, realizes that not all dragons are enemies.

However, Master Kember, a former King’s Ranger and Jenka’s mentor, feels there is a need to seek an audience with the king about the recent event. Together with Jenka and two more of his trainees, Solman and Rikky, they set out for the treacherous journey to King’s Island. They are joined by a King’s Ranger, two of his Foresters and a pair of druids practicing High Magic from the Order of Dou, whose mission is to inform the king of an imminent war to be initiated by the trolls led by Gravelbone, the avenging Goblin King riding a nightshade.

This is a fast-paced, exciting, action-filled and suspenseful fantasy book told in the third person omniscient point of view. The action and suspense begin as early as the first chapter and never seem to stop until the end. Moreover, the plot is very unpredictable with twists and turns at almost every chapter and several surprises along the way that the possibility of guessing what would happen next is non-existent.

The writing is casual making the book easy to read and understand. The author described every fictitious creature very vividly that the reader can almost imagine not only the sparkling and vibrant colors of the dragon scales but also the gruesome and ugly form of the gigantic trolls and orcs with even the minute details effectively depicted.

In addition to the great plot is the set of well-developed and admirable characters. The Dragoneers are smart, brave, honorable and selfless. They have their own share of pains and losses making it easy to relate with them and root for them. Even the minor characters are memorable. Herald is the fatherly King’s Ranger, Linux is the well-meaning and powerful druid, Mysterian is the intimidating witch and Blanchard is the arrogant king.

In the end, the reader is rewarded with an exciting and justifiable climax followed by a denouement that offers hope and anticipation for the next book in the series.

However, other readers may find this book too intense for their taste. The killings may be too graphic while the deaths may be too painful. Scenes of torture and slaughter are not for the faint of heart. Moreover, I noticed some missing words and typo errors (like Ricky instead of Rikky and Solmon instead of Solman) which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of fantasy novels and to those who enjoy stories about goblins, orcs, trolls, ogres, witches and dragons. Some scenes, however, are not suitable for young readers.

The Royal Dragoneers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Wow, there seemed to be almost nothing wrong with it!
Good job to the author, and as per usual great job reviewing to you!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

lane_vespertine wrote:Wow, there seemed to be almost nothing wrong with it!
Good job to the author, and as per usual great job reviewing to you!
Thank you very much. It's one great book :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like a perfect read for me - action-packed, unpredictable fantasy. I'm glad you enjoyed the read! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review. :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Great review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like a perfect read for me - action-packed, unpredictable fantasy. I'm glad you enjoyed the read! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review. :tiphat:
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book a lot :)
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ebeth wrote:Thank you for the review!
You're welcome. Thank you for the comment :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I love fantasy and I love dragons! I like unpredictable plot and well-developed characters.

Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I normally don't read this genre too often, but you made the story sound so interesting. Memorable characters, action-packed scenes, exciting twists and turns....your comments have made me want to take a second look at this book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds good, with an interesting plot and well described characters. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the great review.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

Sold! I would definitely like to read this book! Your review makes it sound so amazing and these are my favorite kind of books. Great job on getting me so incredibly interested in the book without me ever having heard about it before.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I'm glad you enjoyed this book! You did a great job on the review! I'm not really into fantasy, so I don't think that this is the book for me.
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

Excellent review. Very thorough. Not my usual read. But, know what.....I am going to download it and give it a chance based on the enthusiastic review. Thanks to the author for the free book.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Congratulations to the author for being BOTD. Great review. I will definitely be reading this, what's not to love about dragons, trolls, ogres, goblins and lots of action.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Wow great review! Sounds like an amazing read that I can really get into. "This is a fast-paced, exciting, action-filled and suspenseful fantasy book told in the third person omniscient point of view. The action and suspense begin as early as the first chapter and never seem to stop until the end. Moreover, the plot is very unpredictable with twists and turns at almost every chapter and several surprises along the way that the possibility of guessing what would happen next is non-existent." You had me at hello. Lol. Seriously though. Thank you for sharing. I'm reading this baby next. Don't worry. I'm not bothered by graphic scenes.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”