Official Review: Outland Exile: Book 1 of Old Men and Inf...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Outland Exile: Book 1 of Old Men and Inf...

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Outland Exile: Book 1 of Old Men and Infidels" by W. Clark Boutwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Outland Exile: Book 1 of Old Men and Infidels, author W. Clark Boutwell paints a picture of what our near future could look like. The year is 2128. What used to be the United States of America is now two distinct countries. The East Coast has seceded from the US to become the Democratic Unity of America, a huge dystopian urban grid. Most of the remainder of the country has become the Reorganized States of America ("the outlands"), and is mainly rural communities. In the Orwellian Unity youth and appearances are highly valued, and citizens are forced to retire at age 40. Families have been outlawed. Children are conceived by designated breeders who are "recycled" after four terms of pregnancy. Brain implants that are connected to the centralized CORE interface track and control the citizens.

One of those citizens is 17-year-old Malila Evanova Chiu, a second lieutenant in the Unity's ruling police/military forces. After being demoted for insubordination she is sent to the Unity border to repair a vandalized outpost. She wakes up on her second day there to find all of her troops slaughtered and a weathered old man holding a knife to her throat. The man is Dr. Jesse Johnstone and he kidnaps Malila, holding her captive on a two-month trek through the outlands. All the while Malila wonders what this belligerent Sisi (pejorative for senior citizen) wants with her, and why Unity forces have not come to her rescue.

Outland Exile is excellent dystopian science fiction. At first the concept of the CORE is a bit confusing, but after about 50-60 pages the story runs smoothly. It is captivating and thought-provoking. The intensity of exchanges between Malila and Jesse keeps the reader wondering about Jesse's plans for his captive. In addition, Mr. Boutwell writes scenery so vivid it draws readers into the landscape. His love of the outdoors shines through the depictions of the long trek taken by Malila and Jesse, and the beautiful settings described in the story.

Readers who like sociology and anthropology will enjoy this book. It could easily be used in the classroom along with classics like Animal Farm and 1984. Mr. Boutwell explores social and cultural issues by asking questions about reality, truth, the value of one person's life, perceptions of "the other", what we believe and why, and how history is written.

People who prefer action-packed sci-fi may not enjoy this book, as the author relies on extensive character development to tell his story. The tale is told from the third person omniscient perspective and allows each character's perceptions to be thoroughly explored. Secondary characters like Malila's friend Hecate and Jesse's friends Sally and Moses help flesh out the story and give the reader a full understanding of the contrasts between the Unity and the outlands.

I rate Outland Exile 4 out of 4 stars. The editing is superb, the story is compelling and the author raises important questions about the societies in which we live. This is the first book in a series of 5. Read this one, then look forward to the next installment.

Outland Exile: Book 1 of Old Men and Infidels
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The concept sounds intriguing! I like it when an author writes scenery so vivid it draws readers into the landscape. I love dystopian tales and will check this one out. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Did someone say, "extensive character development"?

This sounds very interesting. Thank you for the review!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

It sounds like a well written book with 'extensive character development'. I don't think I'll read the book but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank You for the great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Gravy wrote:Did someone say, "extensive character development"?

This sounds very interesting. Thank you for the review!
Ditto. I LOVE good characters.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't think this book is one I would enjoy. I love great character development so that's a plus. On the other hand, I'm kind of tired of the dystopian genre. Also, I have no patience for a plot that takes fifty pages until it finally makes sense. For someone else, I'm sure this would be an exhilarating read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

This sounds really interesting! I always like dystopian reads. Great review!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

I don't typically read this type of book. But it sounds really interesting!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Love a good post apocalyptic dystopian story and I am looking forward to reading this interesting novel. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! I have really come to love dystopian fiction. From your review I am really looking forward to reading this book in particular. Not only is it a genre that I love but with great editing, well developed characters and artful descriptions I really feel that I can really sink into the story. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Aniaks
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniaks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Aniaks »

The concept make us to think what will be the situation in near future and we can relate to it now. Thanks for the awesome review. I want to read this book. It has a great character developement which I like. You get to know them and advance forward as the story goes. I'll love it.

-- 01 Apr 2017, 11:14 --

The concept make us to think what will be the situation in near future and we can relate to it now. Thanks for the awesome review. I want to read this book. It has a great character developement which I like. You get to know them and advance forward as the story goes. I'll love it.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I might give a try to reading this book if only because of its 'extensive character development'. But the problem would be if the peaks or 'highs' of this book are too few and far between. It will make me feel sleepy and I might not read it in its entirety. Sci Fi future-based books like this must be sprinkled with a decent dose of action all throughout for them to be un-putdownable and engrossing.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Wow! This one definitely sounds like an exciting addition to the dystopian genre. Reading the sample, I can definitely see how the CORE is a confusing concept, but I'm glad it clears up a bit later on. Thanks for the great review.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This first installment to the series sounds incredibly thought-provoking. Hopefully Malila's life won't be in too much jeopardy. I look forward to sampling it.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Dystopian novels is not my type of books to read but I was intrigued by the title, after reading your review, it makes sense and fits the description of the book. Nice review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”