Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by Eric Morris »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer" by E. R. Barr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer, by debut author E.R. Barr, is classified as an Urban Fantasy. While I agree with that notion, I contend that the novel is so much more. This tale is epic in scope, destined to become a saga. Despite the story’s magnitude, however, it takes the life of a classic campfire story. Barr’s writing style is at once fast-paced, richly complex, and intensely engaging. Not to play my hand too quickly, but I thoroughly enjoyed Roan. If the author made a mistake with this novel, it can only be that he set an extremely high bar for his future writing. This book is a perfect read for Urban Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, and Dark Fantasy enthusiasts alike.

Roan, as implied by its full title, centers on Conor Archer, a Chicago teen who learns of his mysterious Celtic ancestry in the midst of a family tragedy. Whisked away to a rural village in Wisconsin, Conor begins to unravel the puzzle of his bloodline even as he learns that some of the residents of Tinker’s Grove share a common heritage and even darker secrets. Moreover, Conor soon realizes that his new home is a convergence of Christian tradition, Celtic myth, and Native American folklore. In Tinker’s Grove, legends are not only a reality, but Conor Archer is actually a part of the town's mythology! The prophecies aren’t complete, however, and if Conor can’t accept his place as a warrior of Light, then he is destined to be the harbinger of Darkness. An engrossing novel that deluges the present day with the legends of a time before time, once Roan has you in its clutches, it will refuse to let go, even long after the last page has been read.

I award Roan 4 out of 4 Stars. There’s honestly no other rating to bestow upon this novel, as E.R. Barr delivered so much more than I was expecting. Because of the genre’s ever deepening talent pool, Urban Fantasy is simply not an easy genre to break into; direct competitors include Jim Butcher, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, and Lilith Saintcrow, just to name a few. Barr, however, jumps in feet first with this novel and doesn’t look back. The world of Conor Archer is carefully crafted to include real history and incorporate cross-cultural legends and lore in a manner that allows the book to be complex and multi-faceted yet easy to follow. World-building is such a crucial element to fantasy fiction, and the failure of authors to define real rules for supernatural beings or powers often leads poor storytelling. E.R. Barr does not make this mistake; as a result, the story is allowed to grow and build upon itself in a reasonable manner.

In addition to world-building, the author performs superlatively in character development. A character is but a useless plot element if the reader feels no emotion toward it. There are no useless plot elements to be found here, though. The sordid history of the town’s outcasts, the dark ones, is painful to uncover. Conor’s passion to make his own destiny is real in all of us. The reader can’t help but feel the evil dripping from the veins of the McNabb boys and their mother, Cate. It’s impossible not to have a vested interest in the people of Tinker’s Grove as the story progresses.

Finally, the story itself is original and compelling. On the surface, Roan is a coming-of-age tale about a boy caught between making his own way and evolving into a destiny that was spoken over him thousands of years before his birth. However, it is also a tale of the battle between Good and Evil, both in flesh and spirit. Mythical heroes and legendary creatures are given a little insight as to what it means to be human. What is the ultimate Good, service or sacrifice? What is the ultimate Evil, the devil you see or the devil in your mind? Every character, from the wicked water beast Piasa to the great Roan Prince Madoc, will have to answer these questions before the final chapter is concluded.

If you like fantasy, or even if you don’t mind a little magic and mysticism in an otherwise excellent story, then Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer is for you. There’s not much negative to say about this first work from E.R. Barr. He has his own narrative style, which was sometimes off-putting as he likes to begin his sentences with verbs, but it’s easy to get used to. All in all, Roan is one of the better books I’ve read this year, and I’m highly anticipating a sequel. E.R. Barr has definitely made an impact on me as a reader. This is a book you need to read.

Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jacnthabox's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I have to agree that urban fantasy is definitely difficult to write, but based on your review, the author pulled it off! Thank you for the great review!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Thank you!!! I've read good fantasy, and I've read terrible fantasy; I like to review this genre because I believe it includes the best and worst storytellers around. ER Barr is definitely one of the better new authors I've encountered.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Urban fantasy is my weakness, but I tend toward certain types. I'll have to look into this more, you make it sound so wonderful. Thank you!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wow! Sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable book. I like to read about 'Christian tradition, Celtic myth, and Native American folklore' in one book. Seems like the author did a lot of research and came up with a great book. I would love to know Conor Archer more :) Great job on the review. congratulations to E. R. Barr on such an obviously well written book.
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Gravy, if it helps, Urban Fantasy is one of my least favorite subgenres, yet I enjoyed this immensely. I often use the book and author descriptions to decide if the writing style will be to my taste, since both are usually written by the author. I almost chose this book more than once, then backed away; it compelled me enough, though, that I finally pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did.

Kimmy, thanks again for the kind words. If Urban Fantasy is to your liking, I imagine you can't go wrong. There's some really good stuff here.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

I'm not always a huge fan of urban fantasy, but "Christian tradition, Celtic myth, and Native American folklore," plus excellent character development? I'm definitely intrigued! Great review!
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wonderful, well written review! Sounds like a book worth checking out!
Shay Carter
Currently Reading: Asia's Financial Industry 1986-2016
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shay Carter »

Sounds good to me, I'll put this one on my reading list :)
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Thanks, everyone!! I'm glad I could pique your interest!!! Roan is worth checking out!!!
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great review! Very descriptive. I think this book sounds really fun and I'm going to add it to me "to read". Thanks for the review! :techie-reference:
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Awesome review! This book sounds so cool, and I am really looking forward to reading it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

jacnthabox wrote:Gravy, if it helps, Urban Fantasy is one of my least favorite subgenres, yet I enjoyed this immensely. I often use the book and author descriptions to decide if the writing style will be to my taste, since both are usually written by the author. I almost chose this book more than once, then backed away; it compelled me enough, though, that I finally pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did.

Kimmy, thanks again for the kind words. If Urban Fantasy is to your liking, I imagine you can't go wrong. There's some really good stuff here.
I've feel the same way.

I'm very interested, but can't seem to find a date for a second book, which tends to make me uneasy. Does it have a solid ending, or are a lot of things left hanging?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Drubie88
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Drubie88 »

I have not read this book yet, but would like to, if I can get a free copy.

Thank you,
Felicia D. Bing
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Good job on your review, however it doesn't sound like something I would read
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”