A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab

Post by little_wonderland »

This book is special! The system of 4 Londons, each one of them has different approach to magic, is really original, in my opinion. However, if you expect a lot of names of various locations and a description of the city itself, then don’t. I expected it, since it’s London (my favourite city), and there are some locations but that’s mostly at the beginning and then it all fades into god-knows-where. I started rooting for The Infernal Devices all of a sudden. But I really enjoyed that there are different languages in Grey, White and Red London. It is fascinating! The magic system is interesting as well, I want to know more than I already do.

My favourite quotes:
1. “Why anyone would ever pretend to be weak was beyond her.”
2. “Love doesn’t keep us from freezing to death, Kell, or starving, or being knifted for the coins in our pocket. Love doesn’s buy us anything, so be glad for what you have and who you have because you may want for things but you need for nothing.”
3. Kell: “You don’t know anything about these worlds.” Lila: “Sure I do. There’s Dull London, Kell London, Creepy London and Dead London.”
Marni_
Currently Reading: Wool
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marni.html

Post by Marni_ »

I would like a plot description please. The title interested me and it seems to be an original idea. The quotes are interesting. I want to read this book.
little_wonderland

The book is about Kell, a Traveler-magician, an ambassador and smuggler from Red London - where people value magic. There are two other Londons: White London - where people fight to get more powerful, Grey London - without magic. There is also a Black London, which is "gone" or destroyed. Kell travels between Red, White and Grey London, where he meets Lila (her other name is Delilah Bard). They get hands on a dangerous and powerful stone from Black London and Kell has to return it where it belongs.
Er Perrehnne
Currently Reading: Among Others
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Er Perrehnne »

This book was very interesting and would make a fantastic film.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This is on my to read pile at the moment. As a side note, if you like books that reference an alternative London, have you read any of the Bone Season series? Plenty of London in that, particularly books two and three.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
little_wonderland

I want to read the None Season but first I want to finish this series :). My TBR pile is getting bigger and bigger and with compulsory reading for school it's hard to keep up *sigh*
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I really want to start this series, it's just sitting on my shelf tempting me. Motivation to finish the latest one in The Bone Season, then onwards to this!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I just finished this book last night. Though I don't feel like there was a lot of action, this book was a pretty quick read and I really enjoyed all of the characters. The plot took a couple of turns that I didn't see coming and I look forward to reading the next book in the trilogy.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Ooh I am looking forward to it! Just have too much on the reading list at the moment, but soon!

-- 23 Aug 2017, 23:44 --

So I finally got round to reading the first two! I wrote a review for my own blog but thought I might as well paste it here and share my thoughts rather than duplicate a topic..

I’m not one for fantasy, but this was recommended to me by a friend and I’ve liked everything he has suggested so far. It’s fantasy right to my taste. Where Throne of Glass seemed strange and foreign, and Game of Thrones seemed heavy, A Darker Shade of Magic was just written so well.

The story is set in a world where multiple “Londons” exist at the same time; Red London, where magic thrives, Grey London, in the time of George III where magic has been forgotten, and White London, where magic is dying and people fight for control. Finally, there is Black London, who some believe may never have been at all.
The story follows Kell, one of the rarest and strongest magicians who possess the power to travel between the worlds. Woven into the story is Holland, a magician from White London, and Lila, a thief from Grey London.

The world building in this was brilliant. It is not all dumped on to the reader all at once but is given in the way that you can build your own image in your mind. It was so easy to picture the characters in the different settings. Magic has been written about before, and all authors have their own rules, but Schwarb’s allow for theatrics which makes it entertaining.

What I also liked was the action. I can’t remember the last time I’ve come across “fight scenes” in books and not skimmed over them. However, in this book, I read every word.

It was funny. Some of the characters are cheeky and the dialogue never felt forced. Sure, not all of them are likeable, but maybe your are not supposed to like everyone.Lastly, it did not end on a complete cliffhanger, which, for the first novel in a series, I was impressed.

I’d recommend it to those who like the supernatural and magic, and those that like humour with their fantasy. It’s also very LGBT+ friendly, but with some bad language may not be suitable for the younger readers.
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

I loved this whole series. I usually find romance in books rather unnatural feeling but this series really had it develop realistically and I enjoyed it a lot. I love the unique concepts and that the author incorporated different character perspectives. Characters from each of the worlds with different preconceived views on magic all experienced the same things but reacted to them differently based on their own biased ideas, giving some flavor to the experience. I also liked that the series didn't necessarily revolve around the main character. I felt there were multiple "main characters" to become attached to.

I have a signed copy of this book and it is one of my treasures :)
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

I've been wondering if I should read this because I read Vicious by this author and was curious if I would enjoy her other works. Based on what you all have said, I think I have to add it to my list. Thanks for your insights!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”