The Rose Society by Marie Lu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

The Rose Society by Marie Lu

Post by little_wonderland »

A sequel to The Young Elites (TYE) is definitely a strong one. Marie Lu’s writing continues to be very good. There is a character development, not much of a world building. I expected more of it. One city is introduced (Merroutas) and that’s great but we keep circling around the same parts of this world. After TYE I was excited that Adelina would travel around the world and get more allies but… no. If you expect a world building, don’t. This series is mostly plot and character driven, which is perfectly okay. Besides I like to focus more on characters so it doesn’t bother me that much.

I liked that we explore the literary world in this book. Litarature inside a litarature. There are stories, plays, etc. It’s amazing and I wish there was more of it, maybe as a separate book, it would be interesting.

To be honest, I’m emotionally torn after finishing TRS. The first half of the book was fun to read, it was insteresting and also dark but in a very catchy and attractive way. The second half, on the other hand was even darker (that wouldn’t be the problem), some characters frustrated me a lot, plot was occasionally so fast paced that I misses all the details.

Overall, I think this whole series is original and you will always find something in there that will make you want to continue on.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
martha87
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha87.html
Latest Review: "What the Thunder Said" by R. R. Washburn

Post by martha87 »

I wasn't terribly sure after reading The Young Elites that I wanted to continue the story. While TYE was an intriguing story line with fascinating characters, I didn't identify with the main character. Adelina was such a dark character it was hard for me to sympathize with her story. So when I heard about the sequel I was torn between wanting to see what happened to the other characters and not wanting to delve into Adelina's mind much more.

The second book was even darker. I read a quote from Marie Lu that she had a really hard time writing the book due to how far down she was taking Adelina, and I understand what she meant after reading it. I'm wondering if the third book will see redemption or more revenge. Maybe it's me, but I would love to see Adelina make something more of the pain in her life than just killing people.
Latest Review: "What the Thunder Said" by R. R. Washburn
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I'm intrigued by Adelina, the 'dark' character in The Young Elites series. I have not read it and I probably will consider checking it out!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
briellanoelle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by briellanoelle »

A year ago we were introduced to Adelina Amouteru, a scarred victim of a sickness that left her and many like her with unnatural powers gifted by the gods. While making allies and enemies, she discovered that not all power is fueled by positive energy, but sometimes by raw passion and hunger for vengance. She's been beaten, blackmailed and betrayed. And now she wants revenge. Anyone standing in her way will suffer. 
     In this sequel  we follow Adelina as she tries to regain strength after her loss in The Young Elites. Along with her sister Violetta, Adelina ventures into the city to find others like her. Powerful elites with the same drive for power. After being betrayed by her friends, she wants revenge. And the crown. Adelina meets other elites, including Magianio, the mimic who can copy the powers of any elite. Both share the same dark energy that fuels their powers, and the same hatred for the monarchy that continues to kill the elites. 
     After waiting months for this novel to come out I was excited when I finally got my hands on it. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had never read a book where I followed the dark and twisted path of the villian. Adelina is a character who you learn to love and hate at the same time. Her dark past makes you sympathise for her, and yet her thirst for power makes you fear for those around her. As I read the novel, I followed along as her powers grew stronger and the plot twists grew bigger. After reading the end of the first novel, we are clued into what will become of our deceased elite Enzo, but I wasn't ready for the surprising plot twist that followed. Adelina makes allies with enemies and turns even those closest to her against her. Power isn't all its cracked up to be, and sometimes it can lead to even more destruction. Turning that final page, all I wondered was how Marie Lu was going to be able to wrap up this twisting story in just one more book! I almost think it could be impossible but after reading her previous novel Legend, I know that whatever the final book in this trilogy has in store for us, will leave us in awe of this gifted author. 
Last edited by Gravy on 13 Oct 2016, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited "official review" out

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”